Back from Independence... a few thoughts

dlong1969

Just back back from the Independence Eastern Itinerary, and thought I would jot down a few thoughts about the cruise.

First of all, this is our 10th cruise, all with Royal Caribbean. 4th time on a Freedom Class, first time on Independence.

The Freedom has it, hands down over the Indy. Even though they are the same class of ship, the Freedom is just nicer.

No Freestyle machines on Indy. The fountain pop tasted weird all week. I think the servers knew it too, because often you would see them pouring from cans instead of using the fountain wand sitting right there.

Opinions are subject, but my wife and I, along with other veteran cruisers that we met onboard, agree that the over all experience is being cheapened.

If you had never cruised before, you would probably go "WOW" and be fairly impressed with your experience on board. Our cruising experience spans almost a decade... so we have definately seen some degradation.

First of all, Diamond benefits. In one short year, they reduced the onbouard benefits for Diamond members by what I would estimate as about 50%. Maybe not that drastic, but enough.... one thing I really disliked was the change to the internet benefits. I am on vacation. I don't WANT 24/7 access to the internet. Especially since I work in IT for a living. I want a BREAK from it... BUT... I need to be able to check on the kids via Skype once a day... so the Diamond benefit of 60 free minutes (120 between my wife and I) was about perfect. 15 or so minutes a night to talk to the 5 year old at home.... but this is no longer the case. Now, you get 24 hours continuous access or 40 dollars off of a package... oh, and you can't combine the 2 diamond benefits and get 80 bucks off a package. In order to use both diamond benefits, you gotta play the system... get 1 free day... then get another free day... then pay for unlimited access for the rest of the cruise at 20 bucks a day.... so what used to be a "free" benefit for us, enabling us to Skype home for 15 minutes a day, now has become a 100.00 add on if we want to talk to the kids each day.. and on TOP of that, now we have access to the rest of the world 24/7 again... which means that either you use it, or you waste the money. Very irritating. They are pushing people to pay for the expensive unlimited access plans... but the internet is ridiculously slow... at one point, we couldn't get access for over 36 hours... missing talking to my son one evening... Why? The system was overloaded, they say... funny, the free links to RC sales websites worked just fine. Overloaded my keester. The IT people on the ship are as adept as the IT people in Miami it would seem.

Service: Lacking. Just plain lacking. Our servers in the main dining room just couldn't seem to care less. The past 2 cruises (since they started charging gratuities directly to your seapass account) have shown a vast difference in service than what we had become accustomed to. If you asked a server for an additional entre or appetizer, they seemed to be put out by it.... little looks, etc. The main waiter chewed out his assistant for something stupid in front of EVERYONE.. made a big production out of it, pulling in his head waiter and everything...

Bar service: I can't count how many times I saw bar service people just walking aimlessly around the pool areas. Not asking people if they wanted anything. Before the "purchase unlimited booze" packages became available, you had to beat the bar staff off you with a stick. Twice I tried to flag someone down to get a drink only to be basically ignored. I had to get out of the pool and go to the bar. Now, yes, I know that is really whiney... and i really don't care if I have to get out of the pool to get a drink. I am just showing how things have changed. Not to mention bar prices. Yes, they have always been high.... but the price point was at "yeah, it is a little expensive, but I am on vacation, so what the hell".... now it is "really? you really want 10 bucks plus tip for a frozen drink with cheap rum in it?".... usually my drink of choice on a ship is a frozen strawberry daquiri... this time, I drank beer... and most of the time it was during the 5 to 8 PM window when I could use my diamond drink "coupons". I couldn't help but feel like they jacked up the already ridiculous prices so that they could push "ala carte" drinkers to the overpriced all-inclusive drink packages. Looks like I shoulda broke out the rum-runners again.

The shows were pretty bad, as people mentioned on another thread. Tired... old... same old/same old....

The one shining aspect with Piano Man David Curtis. The guy is amazing and funny, and is a genius at the keyboard... we had a LOT of fun with him... that is, until his show got hijacked. There were a large group of very talented performers cruising as a group on our sailing. most of the nights they ended up at David's show and basically took the thing over.... He didn't seem to mind and was probably having fun with it... but these are old vaudeville type performers, doing all kinds of old broadway type show tunes... not my cup of tea... when they weren't there, David played a great mix of tunes... he even actually talked me into singing, which I don't normally do in large groups... but he was fun, witty, and engaging. When this group took over, they were the only ones who mattered. We ended up leaving when they started up, because we knew that David's time was pretty much over. I really wish they had found other things to do... but alas, they were having fun, he was having fun, and we were outnumbered greatly... so democracy in action, yes?

Cigar lounge.... one of my favorite spots... mostly overrun with cigarette smokers. If you don't smoke cigars, you wouldn't understand. I used to smoke cigarettes years ago, so I am not an anti-cigarette person... BUT... cigarette smoke does not mix well with cigar smoke. Cigar smoke is nuanced, delicate, etc.... and when someone is smoking a cigarette near you, that is all you smell and taste... The bartender in the cigar lounges are usually the most engaging, friendly, knowledgeable, attentive servers on the ship. It's a small venue with easy regulars... this time, not so much. The dude in there may as well not have been. He sat at his little bar and said nothing to no one. He didn't look up from his book or whatever the heck it was he was doing. He never once made the rounds of the room to ask if someone wanted a drink. He emptied the ashtrays dutifully about once every 30 minutes, not speaking to anyone....

Maybe I am expecting too much. I would think that as time went by, the experience would be more refined and get better/more wonderful. Unfortunately this is not the trend I am witnessing....

Don

We also noticed the overall decline of service, benefits and general non- chalant the attitude on RCI. We've been pre-paying gratuities for about 5 years so I'm not sure the reason for the decline is due only to that. I think RCI has cherry picked their best employees and transferred them to the bigger newer ships leaving gaps in training and expertise on their older ships. The service at the pool is excellent if you tip additionally and ask the servers to find you-- they find you believe me!

Mario used to be at the concierge lounge on the independence and kept a pretty tight ship and was awesome. Now he is concierge on the anthem. We will on the independence courtesy of RCI because so many things went wrong on our previous cruise on the Oasis.

So those of us who have been cruising for a while know the differences and are looking at other options. We have an independence cruise in nov and it will be my 4th time on her. I've always enjoyed her and am looking forward to it. I guess I'd rather be on a cruise than in snow but next two cruises are not with Royal. We thought it might be time to look at other lines.

Edited by nednrom

You better hope the cruisers the week before you don't eat all the bacon, and by cruisers I mean me.:D

Just remember Andrew, we know where you live!!;) Enjoy your cruise and don't eat all of the bacon!!:eek: Safe travels!!:cool:

We also noticed the overall decline of service, benefits and general non- chalant the attitude on RCI. We've been pre-paying gratuities for about 5 years so I'm not sure the reason for the decline is due only to that. I think RCI has cherry picked their best employees and transferred them to the bigger newer ships leaving gaps in training and expertise on their older ships. The service at the pool is excellent if you tip additionally and ask the servers to find you-- they find you believe me!

Mario used to be at the concierge lounge on the independence and kept a pretty tight ship and was awesome. Now he is concierge on the anthem. We will on the independence courtesy of RCI because so many things went wrong on our previous cruise on the Oasis.

So those of us who have been cruising for a while know the differences and are looking at other options. We have an independence cruise in nov and it will be my 4th time on her. I've always enjoyed her and am looking forward to it. I guess I'd rather be on a cruise than in snow but next two cruises are not with Royal. We thought it might be time to look at other lines.

I'm jumping RCL ship for Azamara. I think I'll find what I'm looking for there. You hit the nail on the head with this, "So those of us who have been cruising for a while know the differences" I'm sad about it. I have a huge invested interest in cruising. ;);)

I'm jumping RCL ship for Azamara. I think I'll find what I'm looking for there. You hit the nail on the head with this, "So those of us who have been cruising for a while know the differences" I'm sad about it. I have a huge invested interest in cruising. ;);)

Question to anyone who knows... how has Celebrity fared? Has this downgrade of service and quality hit them as well? They are supposed to be RC's upper tier cruise line... I might consider trying them. What are the ships and the general atmosphere like on a Celebrity ship sailing in the Caribbean? I am in my mid 40s, wife in mid 30s, and we don't do the party scene/night life stuff so much...

How well to the Crown and Anchor benefits translate over to Celebrity?

Thanks!

Edited by dlong1969

... How well to the Crown and Anchor benefits translate over to Celebrity?

Thanks!

If you are Platinum or Emerald on Royal, you would be Select on Celebrity.

If you are Diamond or higher on Royal, you would be Elite on Celebrity.

There is no sharing of points between the cruise lines, just reciprocal recognition of two loyalty levels.

Sad to say I have to side with Dlong on this one. My 19th cruise and we definitely saw a reduction in service over the last two years. Our cabin steward in Jr. Suites was terrible. We had 3 cabins together and the first night we never received fresh towels. Robes weren't brought right away because she said we wouldn't use them that early. ??? Her attitude changed after we left a tip on the bed. We had more towels than we use after that.

Dinner in Giovanni's table was not good. Terrible service and the food was not worth the extra cost. Chewy eggplant. One night I ordered a Chops filet in the MD and my medium came back medium well. Our table captain brought another one right away, and it still wasn't cooked right, but I did not send it back...and it cost me $16.95.

What was the positive? The Captain and officers were very accessible and mingled with guests on the promenade. We met wonderful crew members who loved their jobs and it showed. The pretty black woman who wore a lei and fascinators and greeted guests in the Windjammer every morning. She was so upbeat. Lastly, we were on a cruise that many people will never get the chance to take.........

Fresh off Independence. Actually chilling in the pyramid lounge on the Independence waiting for the crowd to get off the ship. We had a lovely time and many of the comments on this thread were not indicative of my stay. I will leave a full review later but I will part with this. I would have thought that our stateroom attendant had only our room to service. She was that good.

Fresh off Independence. Actually chilling in the pyramid lounge on the Independence waiting for the crowd to get off the ship. We had a lovely time and many of the comments on this thread were not indicative of my stay. I will leave a full review later but I will part with this. I would have thought that our stateroom attendant had only our room to service. She was that good.

can't wait to read your review, going in april and reading mixed things about this ship

Aaaaaah ,,,,,,,,,,, Senor Butcher

First impressions are just that.

Sailed with him for 3 weeks as DL concierge and my first impression was the same as the foregoing posters ............. but ............. if you actually talk to him you might have an entirely different perspective.

He is big and he is loud ......... and .................that alone can intimidate somewhat easily.

I compare Senor Butcher to a fine scotch ..................... nobody could actually like their first taste ................ however, with practice that perception changes mightily.

I agree with you, this is the way we experienced Gustavo Butcher too. The first time in 2014 on the Liberty of the Seas when he repaced Oana Popa, and again on our Independence sept 2015 B2B2B.

• 1 month later...

Just read through this thread. Taking my wife and kids (20,17,17) on the independence in April '16. First Royal Caribbean cruise. We have cruised Carnival twice in the past.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input, good and bad, and that I am glad I don't drink alcohol because it seems that's what a lot of the issues derive from.

I really don't care to eat at a place that charges extra either we prefer the MDR and buffets. Seem to still have a great time and eat well without spending any coin on booze and food!

Again, thanks for sharing!

Just goes to show how opinions and perspectives are very subjective and unique to the observer, yes?

Glad that they had a good time. Does that mean my observations and opinions are somehow invalid?

:rolleyes:

Don't sweat it ... the RC cheerleaders on here will pounce on anyone even remotely critical of "their" line ... totally dismissing and discrediting anything you post. My favorite thing is when these people turn their noses up at you and "invite" you to go away and sail Carnival or NCL insead. :rolleyes:

That's pretty normal on CC.

I agree with you, though. My first cruise on RC was back in 2009 and with each one, even though we have still enjoyed each trip, its pretty easy to see the changes and cut backs.

RC definitely is cheapening the base experience in order to push you into the upcharge things like Chops, etc.

I also agree RC is changing to be the "beginner" line for new cruisers who haven't experienced them when whey were better. They want the veteran RC cruisers to "upgrade" to Celebrity, it seems.

Still a good time on RC for us tho .. we enjoyed our Indy and Enchantment cruises this past year .. but yea .. the changes are pretty noticeable.

Edited by F27TW

In reference to the cruise line cutting back, the same thing is happening in the workplace. It's everywhere. Cutbacks on health insurance, higher premiums, smaller wage increases, penalties for smokers, etc. Common business practice from major corporations trying to increase the profit margins.

Happy cruising!

We will be on the Indy next Saturday. I hope Butcher is not there---he sounds scary

Also think service, food, etc, has gone downhill. We just don't expect it to be the same and cruise anyway

We will also be onboard next Saturday, see you in the lounge !

• 2 weeks later...
So how would the quality compare to that of a 5* hotel? Food wise is a big deal for me, am looking to book my first voyage early next year so any feedback would be gratefully received!)

About a 2-2.5 at best if you are looking to compare to a true 5*.

Edited by CaribSailor

I would say that the MDR used to be like a incredible restaurant but now is just ok, sometimes not ok, sometimes very good, but hardly ever great. Food used to be one of the things you raved about on a cruise, not so much anymore. The specialty restaurants for the most part are really good, we'e enjoyed it each time we've gone, but on our last cruise just didn't fell like spending the money and enjoyed the MDR each night.