Planning ahead for 2017. Best season for Burgundy & Provence?

bubbulz

Well, we have the cruise for this year behind us (Uniworld's SS Antoinette, Castles along the Rhine), 2016 locked in (Uniworld's SS Maria Theresa, European Christmas Markets) and are already thinking about plans for 2017. Keeping with the Uniworld theme (yes, we were hooked after the first cruise!) we're looking at Burgundy and Provence. I'd appreciate people's thoughts on the preferred time of year to go so we'll be ready to book next year when things open up - and so I don't make other plans in the meantime that could conflict. Thanks!

Well, we have the cruise for this year behind us (Uniworld's SS Antoinette, Castles along the Rhine), 2016 locked in (Uniworld's SS Maria Theresa, European Christmas Markets) and are already thinking about plans for 2017. Keeping with the Uniworld theme (yes, we were hooked after the first cruise!) we're looking at Burgundy and Provence. I'd appreciate people's thoughts on the preferred time of year to go so we'll be ready to book next year when things open up - and so I don't make other plans in the meantime that could conflict. Thanks!

We did the Catherine in July and I would never go to Europe again in the summer. That was our 2nd trip in July and it was miserably hot (north of 100) and terribly crowded.

We did the same itinerary in fall and much preferred the weather and lack of crowds. Most of our trips to Europe are in the fall and winter, with the occasional spring trip thrown in. For us, those seasons are the best with the Christmas market season our absolute favorite!

Edited by caviargal

We did the Catherine in July and I would never go to Europe again in the summer. That was our 2nd trip in July and it miserably hot and terribly crowded.

We did the same itinerary in fall and much preferred the weather and lack of crowds. Most of our trips to Europe are in fall in winter, with the occasional spring trip thrown in. For us, those seasons are the best with the Christmas market season our absolute favorite!

I agree and should have added that we generally prefer to travel off-seaason when it is less crowded, and also prefer cooler weather. Thanks for the feedback.

March was nice. A little cooler than ideal but plenty of sunshine, fewer crowds, and we were able to book a nice cabin in December, less than 3 months prior to the cruise.

Only caveat; IME, spring fares to Europe have been pricier than at other times of year. YMMV.

March was nice. A little cooler than ideal but plenty of sunshine, fewer crowds, and we were able to book a nice cabin in December, less than 3 months prior to the cruise.

Only caveat; IME, spring fares to Europe have been pricier than at other times of year. YMMV.

Thank for the info, jpalbny. I was just looking at your trip report. I think we are leaning toward late March/April/May or September/October.

We did the Catherine in July and I would never go to Europe again in the summer. That was our 2nd trip in July and it was miserably hot (north of 100) and terribly crowded.

Whereas we did the Catherine also in July and had a terrific time (I think we were either earlier or later than you, caviargal, by a week).

Was it hot? Yes, unseasonably so this year, but the ship's A/C was flawless, as was the A/C in the hotels in which we stayed and the car we rented (after the cruise ended). And I didn't find the crowds to be problematic.

Bottom line: each to his own. We're kind of limited to summer travel by my DW's teaching schedule, but we've found France and Europe generally in June-August to be very enjoyable.

Whereas we did the Catherine also in July and had a terrific time (I think we were either earlier or later than you, caviargal, by a week).

Was it hot? Yes, unseasonably so this year, but the ship's A/C was flawless, as was the A/C in the hotels in which we stayed and the car we rented (after the cruise ended). And I didn't find the crowds to be problematic.

Bottom line: each to his own. We're kind of limited to summer travel by my DW's teaching schedule, but we've found France and Europe generally in June-August to be very enjoyable.

We're fortunate to have a lot of flexibility in our travel schedule, and generally prefer spring or fall. (Since we're in FL we get our fill of warm/hot weather year round. ;) )

Any pros and cons to April/May vs. September/October that anyone is aware of?

We did this cruise on the River Royale when it was a brand new ship. In April / May. And we went from the North to the South. Water levels were a bit high, but it was not a problem. Temperatures warmed up a bit more every day and the mistral winds were a new experience. Wandering into the small towns after dinner were comfortable temperature-wise.

Travelling in the autumn you would possibly get to experience the fall harvest of grapes, so in my mind either or would be a great time.

We did this cruise on the River Royale when it was a brand new ship. In April / May. And we went from the North to the South. Water levels were a bit high, but it was not a problem. Temperatures warmed up a bit more every day and the mistral winds were a new experience. Wandering into the small towns after dinner were comfortable temperature-wise.

Travelling in the autumn you would possibly get to experience the fall harvest of grapes, so in my mind either or would be a great time.

Thanks for the feedback. I had wondered about the timing for the grape harvest.

Thanks for the feedback. I had wondered about the timing for the grape harvest.

It varies by region and by year, and is determined by government agents who tell the growers when they may begin [very different from California!]. On our AmaDagio Rhone cruise from Sept. 3-10 we found some vineyards already harvesting while others were still waiting for permission start [and the pattern did not show earlier harvest in the South -- it was random].

I'm starting to plan our 2017 Uniworld cruise as well. Did Rhine last year on Antoinette, doing Danube Christmas Market cruise on Maria Theresa in December and doing the Venice cruise Sept 2016. I'm currently looking at India, Egypt, China, or possibly an expanded Danube cruise in warm climate for 2017. France hasn't been too far up my list because my perception is that this itinerary is heavily focused on wine tastings, winery tours, etc... My wife and I don't really drink wine(will particpate in the tastings but only if we want to experience the location of the tasting) and not overly excited about French cuisine. For those that have sailed with Uniworld would you say apart from wine/food that the excursions provide or offered are as interesting and varied as say the Rhine or the Danube? We really do like Uniworld's newer ships with their upscale suites so the Catherine does have my attention. Thanks for your thoughts.

Part of visiting the Rhône is, of course, experiencing its very rich food and wine heritage. For us it was a really nice part!

That said, there is plenty to do without drinking wine. Beautiful countryside in the north. Great Roman history in the south. I suppose it's a fun place to visit even for non wine drinkers, not that I have any firsthand experience with that!

I'm starting to plan our 2017 Uniworld cruise as well. Did Rhine last year on Antoinette, doing Danube Christmas Market cruise on Maria Theresa in December and doing the Venice cruise Sept 2016. I'm currently looking at India, Egypt, China, or possibly an expanded Danube cruise in warm climate for 2017. France hasn't been too far up my list because my perception is that this itinerary is heavily focused on wine tastings, winery tours, etc... My wife and I don't really drink wine(will particpate in the tastings but only if we want to experience the location of the tasting) and not overly excited about French cuisine. For those that have sailed with Uniworld would you say apart from wine/food that the excursions provide or offered are as interesting and varied as say the Rhine or the Danube? We really do like Uniworld's newer ships with their upscale suites so the Catherine does have my attention. Thanks for your thoughts.

We seem to be following along a year behind you. We did the Rhine this year on Antoinette and are doing the Christmas Markets next year on Maria Theresa. We, too, love Uniworld's new ships, and that's what got us looking at France in the first place although in our case we really enjoy wine (tours, tasting, buying, drinking). :D

Lyon has lots of silk-industry history (and present, with several places still weaving and dying beautiful silks), the entire Rhone valley has lots of Roman history (as far North as Lyon, plus the fabulous Pont du Gard near Avignon), and Arles has Van Gogh history. So there's lots to do on a Rhone cruise beside French food (which is also different in these regions than you may be thinking of) and wine.

You might want to consider the Normandy cruise. There's no emphasis on wines there, and it would be a shame to miss out on Paris, the D-Day landing beaches, and the delightful medieval city of Rouen. Of course, you'll get French food ... but I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like well-prepared French cuisine.

The A/C on the Catherine was struggling to keep up when we were aboard. The dining room and public areas were quite warm much of the time, uncomfortably so some of the time. Our room was lovely and cool.

Since we do travel in the off season (our preference) and had been to Provence last fall, the difference in the crowds was very obvious between July and November. It is much more pleasant for us overall in the fall.

Summer travel is something we avoid overall and to Europe especially so.