Cruise on Breakaway from NYC on 10/4 2015

cruiserbear55

Does anyone know if the bicycle races scheduled for NYC on 10/4/2015 will affect getting to ( or leaving) the cruise terminal area?

You need to give more information as to where you will be coming into NYC for the pier.

Location is important- for example will you be trying to go crosstown from an East Side location,approaching from downtown ,or from NJ or the Northern counties of NY.?

I would be concerned if I was a passenger disembarking or embarking on a cruise this coming Sunday,9/27.

NYC is horribly congested this week because of the UN meetings and the Pope's visit.

Perhaps by Sunday, moving about in the City will be better.

It will be interesting to read any of the Breakaway reviews to see if getting to /away from the pier was problematic for passengers for the 9/20 and the 9/27 sailings.

Yikes! We're on that 10/4 cruise too. Didn't know about the bike races. We planned on taking the Lirr and then either subway or cab to the pier.

You might be better taking the LIRR into Penn Station,then getting a subway to the pier.

Also,you could probably Google NYC bike race 10/4 to see the route for the race.

My advice, give yourselves plenty of time to get to the pier.

There is always something going on in NYC.

I am on that sailing and the MS Society is having their bike race starting at 7:30 am going down 12th Ave. You can Google the bike route by searching for 2015 ms society bike run NYC.

Well this will seriously impact both embark and debark

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yikes! We're on that 10/4 cruise too. Didn't know about the bike races. We planned on taking the Lirr and then either subway or cab to the pier.

You should join the thread October 04 - 11, 2015 - Breakaway to Bermuda

When my husband heard about the bike MS on the radio last week I did a search of it and found out a lot of things and posted it on that thread on Sunday.......after I booked a hotel in the city!

Two posts above state to take the "subway" to the pier.

You then would have about a 1/2 mile walk to the ship, so not doable for some. Otherwise, you'd get of the yellow train at 47st (don't have my map), the blue upper 40's, or red at 50th. then walk along that street to the ship. Keep track of your landmarks- you are walking along the streets- NOT avenues and WEST. These are the long blocks toward the Hudson.

Be well prepared with higher cab fares- I personally had over a $20 fare, due to traffic jams- from Port Authority.

I sailed from NY the morning of the MS Bike Tour. It was a nightmare. I come from the north and should take less than an hour and it took at least double that. The West Side Highway is closed -you need to take Riverside which takes forever, especially with volume. If you're coming from the North, build in some extra time for sure.

Two posts above state to take the "subway" to the pier.

You then would have about a 1/2 mile walk to the ship, so not doable for some. Otherwise, you'd get of the yellow train at 47st (don't have my map), the blue upper 40's, or red at 50th. then walk along that street to the ship. Keep track of your landmarks- you are walking along the streets- NOT avenues and WEST. These are the long blocks toward the Hudson.

Be well prepared with higher cab fares- I personally had over a $20 fare, due to traffic jams- from Port Authority.

You can get to the pier via subway plus bus. From Brooklyn i could do Q or F then a crosstown bus to 12th Ave. few blocks walk but not terrible.

it looks like the bike ride will close of roads around the island. it looks like 9a - the west side highway - will be closed... as far as i can tell, coming from the east, that's the only way to get to the piers. does anyone have any idea how we're supposed to get there?

I've never been to the cruise ship piers so just guessing based on how I would get to all the other piers. The closest I've been to the ships is in a kayak in the Hudson when we've timed it badly and had to hangout waiting for the cruise ships to come out before we could paddle through!

This time I get to see it from the cruise ship perspective instead. :)

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I should have mentioned we're driving down from New Hampshire and planned on parking in the cruise terminal lots. Hope we make it!

Then leave yourself plenty of time - the highway traffic might be brutal due to the street closures. The safe bet is to take the subway to Columbus Circle or 50th Street and walk to across on one of the number streets to 12th avenue.

I've never been to the cruise ship piers so just guessing based on how I would get to all the other piers. The closest I've been to the ships is in a kayak in the Hudson when we've timed it badly and had to hangout waiting for the cruise ships to come out before we could paddle through!

This time I get to see it from the cruise ship perspective instead. :)

A, C, E, D, B and 1 to Columbus Circle or A, C,E to 50th Street. The walk is not long from either direction I just prefer the Columbus Circle because that's 1) Time Warner Building, which is right across the Street from Central Park entrance (makes it easy to figure out where one's at) and 2) coming from the Bronx, so all I have to do is switch from the 2 train at one of the express stops to the 1 since its a local stop. If you walk from Times Square or Penn Station - That's a super long walk.

Edited by maywell

A, C, E, D, B and 1 to Columbus Circle or A, C,E to 50th Street. The walk is not long from either direction I just prefer the Columbus Circle because that's 1) Time Warner Building, which is right across the Street from Central Park entrance (makes it easy to figure out where one's at) and 2) coming from the Bronx, so all I have to do is switch from the 2 train at one of the express stops to the 1 since its a local stop. If you walk from Times Square or Penn Station - That's a super long walk.

The a,c, e to 50th and where? What about the newly expanded 7 line?

A, C, E will only go as far as 8th Ave. # 7 now goes all the way west but it's on 34th street.

You can take various trains to as far west as they'll go then jump a crosstown bus.

But with suitcase and carry on, could be a pain the ass.

I've done the walk from Columbus Circle to the pier with luggage (carry-on the 1st, full suitcase 2nd time) - the walk is not that long or bad as long as its not snowing /raining hard. Also, there's escalators and/or elevators at both train stations, which makes it easy to bring up luggage. And if I remember correctly, there's cross-town buses stops right in front of Time Warner /Columbus Circle or at 57th street, 3 streets over.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I should have mentioned we're driving down from New Hampshire and planned on parking in the cruise terminal lots. Hope we make it!

Good luck. You might want to drive down the night before and stay in Westchester. Plenty of well priced hotels....try new Rochelle if you want to walk to metro north and go that route to avoid the west side closure and you can easily take the subway and a short walk to the pier

Ask if you can get free parking for the duration of your cruise at the Westchester hotel

If you choose to stay elsewhere or still choose to drive into NYC the morning of the cruise....as opposed to staying in Westchester or NYC and park at the nyc hotel ($$$$)the night before the cruise.....just make sure you enter NYC via the east side aka the FDR highway to avoid the closures

Also getting to the pier too early won't help you because of the debarking pax coupled with the west side closure

You would be smart to position yourself on a side street until you are ready to pounce on the pier parking...

Also if you really want to have your car in NYC for the duration of the cruise you should look into parking a few blocks away from the pier

This will take research...ressies...etc...but it allows you to avoid driving near the closure

Fwiw ..life has to go on so everyone will make the ship and everyone will be able to debark...it will just be a madhouse that's all😎

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are from Canada and can't even follow what people are talking about with the street names etc. I did research but not enough to figure that out. If we take a taxi from midtown Manhattan will we be ok if we leave early? I'm hoping the taxi drivers will know how to get around it.

I'm getting a little stressed......