Cruise on Breakaway from NYC on 10/4 2015

cruiserbear55

People have to also take into consideration that the Holland Tunnel is closed, right? :confused: If so, more traffic at the Lincoln.

Also, you never know how many bikers there will be year to year and any major problems it might cause.

The Holland Tunnel will only be closed westbound to NJ and even that should be open by 8:30 am... before most people people will be driving to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for all the advise. I think I'm going to try and take a taxi from Penn station, but I'd like to have a plan b. What subway would I take from Penn station to the pier?

A, C,E to 50th Street (closet train station to the pier), 1, A, C, B, D to Columbus Circle (Easiest train stop to figure out where you're at, due to the 2 landmarks in the area right across the street from each other - Time Warner Building & Central Park)

Edited by maywell

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry for being so dense, but those numbers don't really mean anything to me. I'm sure it will make sense at the station and I'll also look up NY subways. Thanks again!

Mta.info or maps.google.com will show you (from aerial view, at least), what the walking distance from each station looks like.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry for being so dense, but those numbers don't really mean anything to me. I'm sure it will make sense at the station and I'll also look up NY subways. Thanks again!

the only thing you have to do in Penn Station is look for the subway signs, numbers/letters- then go to the UPTOWN stairs and board. All stations are clearly marked, take a look at the subway map. The exits are also marked, so you are going to want one of the west exits, then stay on that same side of the avenue. Walk down the numbered STREET, crossing over, as needed.

I got this response last week 5 minutes after I sent an email:

Hi Michael,

The tour will not block access to the terminal but you might encounter heavier traffic while traveling throughout parts of Manhattan.

Best,

ANTHONY FABRE

Project Manager I Asset Management

New York City Economic Development Corporation

http://www.nycedc.com http://www.nycruise.com

Not the same bike tour .... that's the Five Boro Bike Tour you're referring to which is the first Sunday in May. I, too, lived right off the VZ Bridge around 79th Street - at which that on-ramp would be closed all day due to the race and all of Bay Ridge would be a traffic disaster. 1000 times worse then what this "race" or "tour" should be.

Bubbadogmom,

The terminal is basically the west side of Midtown. If you are staying around 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue you should be fine. If you're able, and it's a nice day and your luggage has wheels, I would even walk it

>>We are from Canada and can't even follow what people are talking about with the street names etc. I did research but not enough to figure that out. If we take a taxi from midtown Manhattan will we be ok if we leave early? I'm hoping the taxi drivers will know how to get around it.

I'm getting a little stressed......

Edited by themik111

Bubbadogmom,

The terminal is basically the west side of Midtown. If you are staying around 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue you should be fine. If you're able, and it's a nice day and your luggage has wheels, I would even walk it

>>We are from Canada and can't even follow what people are talking about with the street names etc. I did research but not enough to figure that out. If we take a taxi from midtown Manhattan will we be ok if we leave early? I'm hoping the taxi drivers will know how to get around it.

Just look at a manhattan map and you will be fine

Midtown NYC is a very simple...and I stress very simple....north south east west box grid

It's not the big bad city so don't worry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks eh.....lol

I've always been directionally challenged :)

Not too sure about that walk though - without suitcases and carry-ons I bet me and mom could do it but not with. Plus (insert sad face), it looks like it's going to be raining heavily that day.

Hoping the forecast is wrong as usual!

As I stated earlier I've driven to the pier on that day in the past and didn't encounter a significant problem. Another person on our roll call has also cruised on the day of that race and didn't experience a major traffic issue around the pier.

This event is not on the order of magnitude of the 5 borough bike race or the marathon. The street closures are brief.

If you're coming in from NJ you don't want to take the GW Bridge because the West Side Highway will be closed. Take the Lincoln Tunnel instead.

That's not wishful thinking...it's from firsthand experience.

Do we know what time they will close the West Side Highway (going south after the GWB?) :confused:?

Do we know what time they will close the West Side Highway (going south after the GWB?) :confused:?

Current information on 511ny.org says 7 am until 12 noon, but we should check the NYC.gov weekend traffic advisory on Thursday, when the upcoming weekend's road closures are published.

Bubbadogmom,

If the taxi driver doesn't know how to count numbers - you've got problems. Midtown Manhattan, like luvtheships said, is very simple - its mostly a block pattern, from descending order, farthest west is 12th avenue (West Side Highway) and north is up/higher numbers while farthest east is 1st Ave/FDR Drive/Sutton Place and south is down/lower numbers.

When you see it in person, you'll understand - takes a while to get one's bearing but its not that hard, just lookup at the street/avenue signs and order its going. If the avenue numbers is going low - you're going the wrong way.[emoji4] And if you see the Intrepid/a navy ship on water- go up the streets, its the next 2-3 blocks/streets over. [emoji2]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

A friend of mine is riding in this and he just mentioned to me that they will be watching weather forecast closely - as conditions may be beyond a normal rain event (event is rain or shine but if severe weather they may reschedule) but as of now to early to forecast.

A friend of mine is riding in this and he just mentioned to me that they will be watching weather forecast closely - as conditions may be beyond a normal rain event (event is rain or shine but if severe weather they may reschedule) but as of now to early to forecast.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my concerns about the bike race just took a backseat to Tropical Storm Joaquin.

http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-joaquin-atlantic-east-coast-2015

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/083335.shtml?5-daynl

Edited by SentSix

I don't know about the rest of you, but my concerns about the bike race just took a backseat to Tropical Storm Joaquin.

http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-joaquin-atlantic-east-coast-2015

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/083335.shtml?5-daynl

bringing my seasick meds! figure rough water for a day or so..

Booked for Oct. 4 cruise; between Tropical storm Joaquin & MS bike race, not looking good. Watching Weather Channel, where they are comparing Joaquin to superstorm Sandy.

My very first cruise in 2007 Grandeur of the Seas we were trailing a hurricane on return to Baltimore . I recall rough seas and seasickness till I took dramamine. Have been on 4 cruises since; that was the worst.

Booked for Oct. 4 cruise; between Tropical storm Joaquin & MS bike race, not looking good. Watching Weather Channel, where they are comparing Joaquin to superstorm Sandy.

My very first cruise in 2007 Grandeur of the Seas we were trailing a hurricane on return to Baltimore . I recall rough seas and seasickness till I took dramamine. Have been on 4 cruises since; that was the worst.

By comparing it to sandy they keep you tuned to their station

Don't get nervous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone else worried about our cruise Sunday?? Ugh don't want rough waters. I want sunshine and daffodils. Ugh can't help but obsess over this hurricane. Will we leave Sunday? Will we still be going to Bermuda???? Ugh waiting game!!!

Anyone else worried about our cruise Sunday?? Ugh don't want rough waters. I want sunshine and daffodils. Ugh can't help but obsess over this hurricane. Will we leave Sunday? Will we still be going to Bermuda???? Ugh waiting game!!!

I'm concerned about rough waters of course, but nothing you can do about it. It's all completely out of your control -its the weather. So, just pack seasick meds or whatever you use and roll with it. No point in stressing out.