Solstice class - reasons to prefer bed by bath configuration?

AtlantaCruiser72

Yes, you can tell the configuration of the room on the deck plans. Bed by bath is every other room and you can tell by the triangle/square in the cabin on the deck plan. Bed by balcony has no triangle/square.

Btw, I'm one who prefers bed by balcony. I think it makes the cabin look more open and love lying/reading on my bed looking out to sea. Also, first S class experience was this configuration so brings back great memories.

Either way, they are both great so enjoy!:)

Looks as if we are bed by balcony then!

That will make a change for us, so looking forward to it.

We too always book the bed by the bathroom. Reason, is the living area connected to the balcony. Too I like the getting ready mirror close to natural daylight.

Unfortunately we have the opposite on our Jan. cruise. :( I only took this room because it was part of our agent's group rate which included super great pricing and perks. Was worth over $1000 to give up the favored bed position room. :D

Edited by eandj

Thanks for all the great replies, you have actually made my decision harder. :D Right now we are in a room w/ bed by balcony. Thinking of swapping to one w/ other layout but still undecided

I suggest you try the bed by the balcony. Then you can decide for yourself. I will take any configuration without hesitation, so IMO there is not much risk. My wife prefers the bed by balcony. Easier when getting dressed and we do not spend much time sitting in the stateroom. Actually we find the couch uncomfortable and spend a lot of time either on the balcony or elsewhere. At times we even sit up on the bed and watch the sea go by.

No matter where the bed in your balcony cabin is you are going to LOVE your cruise. Don't sweat the small stuff. You are on a cruise in a balcony cabin!!! Life is good!!

My husband and I tried to remember where the beds were on our last several cruises and frankly, we couldn't remember them all. That's how important it is....not all that important!! :D

One of the reasons that we cruise is that we love the sea and we love watching it. For us, an enormous reason to prefer bed-by-bath is that we can sit on couch and chair with a close view of the ocean. That is particularly pleasant when we are eating, whether it be coffee and danish before going to breakfast, a room service snack, or sundowners with in-room appetizers.

We just got off the Silhouette and very much missed the above because our bed was by the window. It definitely detracted from our enjoyment of the cabin.

By the way, those who lament awkward access to storage, go to Princess, particularly the Grand Class ships. They simply do it much better. We cruise both lines and, when we are on Celebrity, we hate the storage layout.

The M-Class is entirely different from the S-Class as most if not all of the beds are by the bath. They don't alternate on the M-Class.

Uh, I was referring to the closets. Which are in different places.

We settled on bed by balcony - got a great 2B midship "hump" location on the starboard (southerly) side for our crossing on the Silhouette next spring at a very attractive price :D. We've done two crossings on the Serenade where all beds by balcony and my partner really liked the room layout, so I'm going to give it a go! When I did the bed by bath on solstice both times I was sharing w/ my sisters so we had to have that layout.

As someone else said - we will be on a cruise and enjoying ourselves

Another reason for bed by bath is that the lighting is better for make-up and writing by the window. Also, I can sit there doing my make-up and talk to DH who is patiently waiting for me on the balcony. That is probably not his favorite reason. :D When you have room service you have more room to put the trays, rather than setting them on the bed.

One of the reasons that we cruise is that we love the sea and we love watching it. For us, an enormous reason to prefer bed-by-bath is that we can sit on couch and chair with a close view of the ocean. That is particularly pleasant when we are eating, whether it be coffee and danish before going to breakfast, a room service snack, or sundowners with in-room appetizers.
We feel the same way.

We enjoy sitting on the couch by the glass doors looking out enjoying the views and having the coffee table right in front of us for snacks and drinks.

In some cabins we turn the couch 90 degrees and move it right in front of the glass balcony doors facing out.

When we order room service meals to enjoy on the balcony, we have them set the trays down on the coffee table close to the balcony door.

That way it takes only a few steps to carry each dish outside to the balcony table, and then bring the dirty plate back inside as we finish with it.

But if I were sick or disabled and needed to spend a lot of awake time in bed, then I think I would probably want the bed by the balcony so I could lie there looking out.

It just comes down to personal preference.

On the S-Class, the closets are in the same place. It's either the sofa or the bed that is next to them.

The point I was trying, but clearly not succeeding, to make was this: When the closets moved from the hallway opposite the bathroom, as on M-class, to a position next to the bathroom, as on S-class, there was created an increased level of congestion when the bed was placed next to the bathroom. That is, on M-class, the bed could not and did not impede access to the closet. However, because the closet is in a different location on S-class, it now becomes possible for the bed to impede access to the closet. That possibility exists when the bed is placed next to the closet.

I hope my point has now become reasonably clear.

Edited by rwb

On our last cruise we had an aqua class cabin with the bed by the balcony which we preferred as it made access to the closet easier. This time we have an inside cabin.

Does the bed location alternate in inside cabins as well? If so does anyone know where it will be in 9150 and 9154 (on the silhouette)?

Having the closet close to the bed doesn't impact us. I move the coffee table to the space between the sofa and the slider to give more floor room. If it's a cold rainy day, it's great to sit on the sofa and look out at the sea.

That being said, we do have an angled bed by veranda booked for our next cruise. Hope we have sunshine and warm temps to enjoy the 3x balcony, so as I don't need to laze on the bed midday to get a view of the ocean when cruising!

Love having the bed by the balcony. If we are in the cabin for any period of time, we are on the balcony. We always keep our curtains open :eek:, day and night to enjoy a view of the ocean. While cruising, I wake up frequently at night - I can look out to see the ocean without getting out of bed. I also keep my camera on the night stand. I have been known to grab my camera, sneak out to the balcony, and take a few pictures of the early morning sunrise, or waves, or approaching land if it is a port day. I also lay in bed reading at night for about an hour. If it is not too hot, I may keep my balcony door open, listening to the ocean sounds while I read. Bed by balcony for me.

New to the S class and didn't know about this back and forth thing. I just checked and happily found out that I booked the bed by the balcony (thanks to previous poster explaining the square/triangle thing). We have had this on other cruise lines and much preferred it over the bed by the bathroom we had on M class.

We never sit on the couch and always sit on the balcony.

Love having the bed by the balcony. If we are in the cabin for any period of time, we are on the balcony. We always keep our curtains open :eek:, day and night to enjoy a view of the ocean. While cruising, I wake up frequently at night - I can look out to see the ocean without getting out of bed. I also keep my camera on the night stand. I have been known to grab my camera, sneak out to the balcony, and take a few pictures of the early morning sunrise, or waves, or approaching land if it is a port day. I also lay in bed reading at night for about an hour. If it is not too hot, I may keep my balcony door open, listening to the ocean sounds while I read. Bed by balcony for me.

Sounds great!

And some people wonder what we see in cruising...........;)

I've only ever had bed by bath and loved that layout.

I have bed by balcony on a cruise next year - is that a cabin with no triangle or box on the deck plan? Does anyone have photos of these cabins?

Thanks!

What ship, and what cabin number? Some sections of the ship don't have triangles or boxes on the deck plans.