Having open heart surgery-Need advice -to cruise or not to cruise?

BTromboneFrack

OK, so I have to have open heart surgery next week to fix a valve. My cruise is set for December 26 and I REALLY don't want to cancel. Luckily, I have insurance if I have to use it. ANY ADVICE???? Those of you who have had this surgery or know someone who did, what do you think? Should I plan on going? Should I start thinking about rescheduling? My doctor says I'll probably be able to go as long as I don't lift any luggage. (Yes, they are going in through the breastbone). Not having done this before, I am wondering if I am going to feel like cruising two months after surgery. It really sounds absurd that I might not feel like cruising.... That is just crazy. Let me know what you think. Thanks

I second the advice of the previous poster. Talk to your doctor. If he doesn't think it's a good idea, then wait. It will be a much better cruise after you have recovered. I had abdominal surgery (nothing to the level of heart surgery) and it took me a couple of months to get back my energy and stamina. If you do decide to go, maybe plan on making it a "resting" cruise. Another thing to consider, in the unlikely event that you need medical attention, you may be limited/delayed in getting the best care.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

OK, so I have to have open heart surgery next week to fix a valve. My cruise is set for December 26 and I REALLY don't want to cancel. Luckily, I have insurance if I have to use it. ANY ADVICE???? Those of you who have had this surgery or know someone who did, what do you think? Should I plan on going? Should I start thinking about rescheduling? My doctor says I'll probably be able to go as long as I don't lift any luggage. (Yes, they are going in through the breastbone). Not having done this before, I am wondering if I am going to feel like cruising two months after surgery. It really sounds absurd that I might not feel like cruising.... That is just crazy. Let me know what you think. Thanks

First it is closer to 90 days or three months before you cruise so that is a plus. The luggage issue can easily be dealt with so that is a non issue. Your MD thinks you should be good to go.

If you are getting around well by cruise time, and able to walk long distances (you probably will be walking great by then), there is no reason to stay home.

Bottom line is this - you won't know how you are going to be feeling until much closer to time to cruise. Don't make a decision now, unless you are sure you want to cancel. As it gets closer listen to your body and rely on your physicians, and then decide.

My dad had his mitral valve replaced in 2003. He was 55 and in decent shape. They cracked his chest and the initial recovery was tough because you have to be active as soon as possible (for him two days) but once over the initial effects of anesthesia, pain, and surgery...he actually got in trouble for walking around the hospital TOO much. Now his case is not your case, your doc knows best. But at 6 1/2 weeks out, he was on the tractor cutting/bailing hay. He felt so much better once the valve was working correctly he got a little hung ho!

Are you having the pig valve or the mechanical...not that it matters...just curious. My dad got the mechanical, my children thought he had a bomb in his chest because it clicks.

Prayers for a smooth surgery and fast healing! I bet you will be surprised how much better you feel once it gets fixed!

Go for it! I had a valve repair and will say that even though it was not fun the cruise will do wonders for you after the fact.

I couldn't drive for 6 weeks after surgery and couldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. No other restrictions but your body will let you know if you are doing to much!

Since you have almost 3 months until your cruise you'll be in good shape. You won't be out on the dance floor or going down the water slides but a lounger with a drink won't hurt you at all!

It was a good six months after my dad's heart valve surgery before he started getting traction in his recovery. You will have a number of medications that need to be balanced and monitored. About 80% of heart valve patients have episodes of A Fib that require treatment. He also had lots of shortness of breath that can be scary and mostly caused by his meds.

Really more of the same from me.

Sounds like your doctors knows the cruise is on the horizon.

Since you have insurance why not wait until closer to sail date?

IF you cancel now and feel great after surgery you will regret doing so.

There is no sense worry about it until after the surgery.

As to your recovery time it is YOUR recovery time. As a healthcare worker I can tell you everyone is different. I have seen patients with knee replacement come through my department and do fantastic and a few month later come in with the other knee with less than ideal outcomes. I realize heart surgery is much more serious but my point is you don't always know how recovery will progress.

My husband had this surgery almost 3 years ago. He could have easily gone on a cruise at the 90 day point. He I was 47 at the time and in good shape prior to the surgery. He diligently increased his physical activity post op as prescribed by his doctor and was walking 3-4 miles a day by the 90 day point for sure. I think it should be fine but every case is so individual.

A lot is going to depend on your age, and your general health. When I was 42, I had quadruple bypass surgery in January. The morning after, the nurses had me out of the bed and walking from ICU to my room. For the next few days that I was in the hospital, they encouraged me to walk the halls as much as possible (which I enjoyed because it was so boring in my room). By April, I was back at work with no restrictions.

It would seem that a cruise would be a great place to recuperate. As long as you take it easy.

Listen to your doctor and your body. I would not cancel yet. I have had 3 open heart surgeries where they cracked my chest. I keep getting aneurysms on my Aorta, with a 4th one now at 5cm, so the next surgery is near. My Aortic Valve was removed on the first surgery,and replaced with a mechanical valve. I did my exercises as instructed. I always cruise after heart surgeries. It helps my healing process knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. See how you feel, and if you go, be sure to have medical info card with you at all times. As you feel better, you will be tempted to lift things by habit, but don't. Have others help you with luggage and other heavy items. Cruises were very therapeutic for me. Also, the first couple of surgeries were solo cruises, so I was alone. Go into your surgery with a strong, positive attitude. You will be fine. Take care.

Edited by INCHARGE

Listen to your doctor and your body. I would not cancel yet if it were me. I have already had 3 open heart surgeries where they cracked my chest. I keep getting aneurysms on my Aorta, with a 4th one now at 5cm, so the next surgery is near. My Aortic Valve was removed on the first surgery,and replaced with a mechanical valve. I did my exercises as instructed. I always cruise after heart surgeries! Stroke, or cancer treatments. It helps my healing process knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel. See how you feel, and if you go, be sure to have medical info card with you at all times. As you feel better, you will be tempted to lift things by habit, but don't. Have others help you with luggage and other heavy items. Cruises were very therapeutic for me. Also, the first couple of surgeries were solo cruises, so I was alone. Go into your surgery with a strong, positive attitude. You will be fine. If you are getting a mechanical valve, you will be on blood thinners. Make sure your levels are good before you go. Take care.

Edited by INCHARGE

Thank you for all of your input and your well wishes. Now -- for those of you who are telling me not to listen to the boards for my cardiac advice -- OF COURSE I'm not doing that. However, any bit of information I can get about this from ANY source is important to me. I'm interested in what others have experienced, both good and bad, so everything you say is helpful.

Please understand, just like many of you, I LOVE CRUISING, so I am just curious if this might be a carrot out their waiting for me after the operation. If it doesn't work, oh well, I'll go twice some other time. Your comments have been great for my mood, since our NYE cruise sounds like it might not out of the question yet.

As for a "resting" cruise --- well, I was kinda thinking of that in the first place!!!

Oh, one more thing. Some of you asked what kind of heart valve I will get. The doctor is first going to try to repair the valve I have. If that does't work, it's a pig or cow valve. I guess I'll need to make a obligatory visit to the steakhouse on the Conquest if I have one of those valves. You are what you eat!!!

Thank you for all of your input and your well wishes. Now -- for those of you who are telling me not to listen to the boards for my cardiac advice -- OF COURSE I'm not doing that. However, any bit of information I can get about this from ANY source is important to me. I'm interested in what others have experienced, both good and bad, so everything you say is helpful.

Please understand, just like many of you, I LOVE CRUISING, so I am just curious if this might be a carrot out their waiting for me after the operation. If it doesn't work, oh well, I'll go twice some other time. Your comments have been great for my mood, since our NYE cruise sounds like it might not out of the question yet.

As for a "resting" cruise --- well, I was kinda thinking of that in the first place!!!

How many are cruising with you? I see you likely are flying in, so luggage might be a slight problem. As for how you feel, that's individual. My then husband said he felt so good after his bypass surgery because he did not realize how bad he felt before it :)

I'll offer different things to consider related to trip insurance. Read the cancellation section of your travel insurance policy carefully. (I don't mean the summary of coverages; you need the pages with all the terms and conditions.). Does your policy cover you for pre-existing conditions? If it doesn't and you cancel, they will scrutinize your health records to see if there was a pre-existing condition. Does your policy have the cancel for any reason coverage?

If you cancel for a medical reason, you will need a doctor to say you cannot go and be willing to attest to that on your claim forms. If your doctor says you can cruise but you decide you'd rather wait to cruise until you feel more recovered, then the cancellation won't be covered UNLESS your doctor will sign the forms saying he told you not to travel OR if you have the cancel for any reason coverage (which usually doesn't reimburse 100%.)

Also, if you're canceling for a medical condition, your policy probably requires you to cancel as soon as you are aware of the need to cancel. For example, assume your recovery isn't going well a couple weeks after the surgery and your doctor says you can't go on the cruise. But you hope you'll improve and decide to wait until closer to the cruise to make a decision. Then you end up not improving enough and finally cancel. In this situation, your policy probably won't cover the cancellation because you didn't cancel promptly after learning of the need to cancel.

Every policy is different. Even policies from the same company have details that vary by state, so you need to read your own policy.

I hope your surgery and recovery go well.

I confess I don't understand why someone would ask this question on a cruise board. Everyone will pop off about what they went through and some will say go for it and others will say stay home.

Everyone's case is different. "Mary" may have had heart surgery and she went on her cruise two months after yet "Joe", who had the same surgery, may still be off his feet months later. Every case is different and only your doctor and yourself will know if you're in good enough shape to make the trip.