Enchantment Review. Sept 21, 2015. 4-nights.

Anita Latte

After trivia...we head on over to the 9:00 pm showing in the theater.

It was a production show starring the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers in "Can't Stop the Rock."

P1100944_zpsz09u1wav.jpg

Like other ships, the theater is on two levels:

P1100945_zps9knousyz.jpg

We always sat on the main floor. As center as possible...and at a distance to be able to comfortably see the entire stage.

We never had a problem finding a seat.

The seats were comfortable...single seats with built in drink rests.

You can get a feel for the dress of others on board in these photos. The MDR felt dressed up. I felt completely in sync with the crowd...being neither the most nor the least dressed up.

The ship outside the MDR however...felt decidedly casual. I don't know if people changed after dinner...or didn't dress for dinner in the MDR and did the buffet...or what.

I wasn't really surprised. I had read that generally the shorter cruises, especially in the Caribbean (Bahamas) tend to be more casual.

It's interesting to note though that the Carnival ship for last Fall Break was WAY more dressed up than Enchantment. And the ship STAYED dressed up.

I have a theory...the passengers on the Carnival ship felt more like young professionals (whether they were professional or not...there weren't that many kids on board actually and so I'm talking more about kidless couples and/or singles) whereas the Enchantment felt like more families (there were more kids on this cruise). I think that the other more adult crowd was more used to "going out" and dressing to "go out" for a night on the town. And even if they weren't in formal dress...they were stylin'.

Whereas the Enchantment was full of more family like people...and if you were an older couple...then you dressed up. But if you were a more typical parent with kids still at home (and on the cruise), then you went for comfort more than style.

That's just my theory.

Isaac (from Spain...if you were there, you understand) was a very fun and flamboyant character...

P1100946_zpsrplnojbe.jpg

He could work that fan:

P1100947_zpswswd6wzo.jpg

He was entertaining with his antics. Bar service was readily available...time passed quickly...and then next thing we knew...the show began.

The Production Cast on Enchantment currently has 4 main singers. Two men. Two women. One man and woman is considered to be the lead singer. The other two are more the dancing singers.

And there are several dancers...I think 3 men and 5 ladies?

We learned a bit at a Q&A time later in the cruise...

I was very impressed with the use of talent in the production. I thought the costumes were some of the best...fitting the best...and attractive, not tacky. The voices were excellent and the dancers were also skilled.

It was obvious that one male dancer was ballet trained and I later learned that he was indeed and had been performing with a ballet in Tennessee.

I was asked earlier about the appropriateness of the shows for young teens/tweeners...and definitely, this is a family friendly production. The songs were all very recognizable and so well done, you didn't miss hearing the original artist sing the song.

Here are the 4 singers:

P1100949_zpsvexvc1o6.jpg

The set didn't change...but was altered through the production.

There were several solos...and Ronilo (piano player) even made an appearance during this one:

P1100950_zpsb6id7q9y.jpg

Otherwise, most of the music was sung to a track...but still, it felt like a quality production.

P1100954_zpsckzvqh7k.jpg

Having been on Carnival, Celebrity (2X) and Royal (2X) in the past 18 months...I believe that Royal truly does have the best theater shows.

Officially, it was called the 70's, 80's Retro Disco Inferno Party: Don't miss the chance to boogie down, shake your booty and get footloose with music from teh 70s and 80s. Must be that night fever that gets this party rocking the boat. Starring your Cruise Director and Staff. 10:15 pm, Centrum, Deck 4.

This is probably the loudest night in the Centrum.

Easily.

According to the Compass, the Adult Late Night Comedy started at 11:00 pm in the theatre...and I do recall there being an announcement of that show at the end of the party...so for those interested in the noise factor from the Centrum...this is the hour of powerful noise for the cruise.

We headed to the Centrum after the Production Show...

When we arrived, there was a DJ doing some warm up numbers with the crowd. I don't recall exactly what was playing, but for those that like such things...the music was infectious and I know that I was "dancing" on the side lines.

I'll be forever grateful to the woman who came over to the couple next to me and us. She reminded me of my Mom...she was spunky and ready for fun...and she wanted to encourage those around her to have fun.

The lady of the couple next to us rebuked her efforts to get her to join the dance floor...but she could tell that I was more ready to join in. She took the camera and my pashmina out of my hands and handed it to DH...she grabbed my hand and off we went to the dance floor.

And we danced.

The DJ gets the dance floor moving with the typical line dancing songs. I know from teaching my Zumba classes that some people only hear these songs on cruise ships (or weddings)...wish that they knew the dances...but don't ever remember to look up the songs...and are reluctant to join in without knowing how to do the dance first. So for the benefit of others of like mind...these are the songs of line dances that are often played:

Cupid Shuffle by Cupid

Cha Cha Slide by Mr C The Slide Man

Wobble by V.I.C. (note...ships usually play a clean version)

For the Disco warm up, we also did The Hustle.

This is my third disco party. I've been to them on Mariner, Allure, and now, Enchantment. They are what you make of them. If you enjoy dancing...if you enjoy watching...whatever. It's just fun, if you like this kind of thing.

The twist on this one...was that they shifted from Disco to 80s about half way through. I don't recall that happening during the other Disco Parties (doesn't mean it didn't). The songs are iconic songs for the entire party...easily recognizable.

I believe that CD Marc is very aware of how the crowd responds to the songs and will adapt. The first song of the 80s portion, with the crew changed into their 80s costumes, did not go over well at all...the party was going to die...but Marc noticed and that song was cut off and the next one started.

Before the crew comes out in their costume...the DJ did request, in a very funny manner, that all the ladies come forward and all the guys to the back... The dance floor was mostly ladies though...I think there was ONE guy on the floor.

After all the dancing...I talked a bit with my encouraging, dancing lady...she shared that she was a 5 year cancer survivor.

One of my Mom's very best friends is a double digit cancer survivor...20 years, give or take...she's in her 70s now. Anyway...she has such zest for life...the ability to live in the moment...a kind of why wait for a different day, do it now attitude...

As I said...I was/am grateful to this very lovely lady for encouraging me to dance. I needed it. I haven't danced much since my injury and it is one of my most favorite things to do in life...and I needed that help to get back on the dance floor.

If that lady happens to be a member here and reading...I just wanted to write this so that she could know the wonderful influence she was...I'm not sure that I communicated that clearly to her.

After the party...it had been several hours since our last food. :rolleyes: So we heeded up to the Park Cafe to see about the late night snack offerings.

They are pretty pitiful on Enchantment.

Not that they were bad...just a small offering, very limited selection. Very ball park. Hot dogs. Nachos. There was cheese sauce and chili. I think there MIGHT have been another soup? It was one that had been offered in the MDR earlier that night.

And the saddest, sorriest pizza I've ever seen. Calling it THIN crust wouldn't adequately describe the cracker like thing with some cheese that they called pizza. Think burrito sized tortilla made to look like pizza. They had cheese and pepperoni/cheese cracker pizza.

I'm pretty sure there were some desserts too.

After the snack, it was time for bed.

The next day was our Nassau day.

Thank you so much for this review--it is helping so much with our planning! Sort of last minute we are changing plans and canceling a Disney cruise to do the 3 night on Enchantment instead. One of our kids now has a conflict, so we will do Disney next year and will take our younger one (11) on this instead. We have only been on Oasis so weren't sure if there would be enough for her on EOS but this sounds great--and glad to hear that the entertainment is family friendly!

So it sounds like there wasn't a problem using MTD--we have always so pre-planned our Oasis cruises out of necessity. I think we will try the MTD on this one and just show up. I am surprised about the formal night--we did go all out on Oasis, but the Disney short cruises don't have a real formal night, so I may need to rethink some packing! Oh--your room on EOS reminds me a lot of the Family Oceanview rooms on Disney with the large portholes!

Thanks again!

Brookmill...my last cruise was on Allure in April/May so I completely understand the thought of needing to preplan. You really DON'T on Enchantment.

The only reason you might want to make a reservation for MTD is if you become attached to your servers and want to guarantee being able to sit in their station. As you read, we were able to have our service team 3 out of 4 nights without a ressie.

My Allure sailing was a TA and that was way, WAY more dressed up than Enchantment. i would guess that the 3 day would be even more casual than our 4 day.

I would encourage you though to dress for your own pleasure for your cruise. I did see tuxes and gowns all intermingled with the shorts and tee shirts on the ship...and the MDR was mostly more dressed up than not...I would use the word "Stylin'" more than "formal" to describe the feel of the way the people dressed in the MDR.

This ship is well equipped for 3-4 days of entertainment. Really. CD Marc and his staff is very fun! I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Honestly...IDK if there was ever roast beef in the Park Cafe. We ended up there for late night snacks more often than during the day for lunch. It's just what happened for us...

Having been on the same cruise, they DID have roast beef in the Park Cafe around day 3 or so (the Nassau port day). And yes, it was awesome and win :D

(Then again, I also tended to hit the Park Cafe as much as I hit the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch if not more. I tend to go for either big breakfast and light lunch or the reverse...)

Thank you so much for your review!!! We are looking forward to our Enchantment cruise during Spring break 2016. (3/28-4/1) This will be our first family cruise and we have booked PV room 8600 as well!!!

There will be 3 of us. Our daughter is 10 years old. I'm celebrating my 40TH birthday. Hoping we don't have bathroom issues. (LOL) My husband (age 37) is known to clog a toilet or two when we go on vacations. I have read other places on these boards about the shower curtains. I guess we will need to bring magnets.

We're not big drinkers but I have to say the photo you shared with the cooler for $30 with 5 bottles of beer just may be the best thing for my husband. I don't drink anything carbonated but I may have a mix drink or two each day. Not worth purchasing a package for.

Was there a midnight chocolate buffet? Do you have any pics?

I have to wait until January to book our dinner reservations and shore excursions but here's what I think we will do: Dinner in the Main Dining area first night and 3rd night. Since the second night is formal, we will eat in the Windjammer. For our last night, we figured we would feed our daughter from the Park Café and then let her go to the children's area while my husband and I have dinner at Chops. I have read great reviews about Chops. The day at CoCo Cay we will only do the snorkeling that is at your leisure and not timed. When visiting Nassau, I read that the Blue Lagoon is a great beach area to visit. Both these days we will have lunch on the beach. On our forth day, we will have lunch in the Windjammer. I'm assuming breakfast each morning in the Windjammer as well or Park Café.

Did your son like the children's club?

Chandra...

Too funny. Our first family cruise was a Spring Break cruise. DS was in 5th grade (11 years old) and we were celebrating my 40th birthday!!

My DS is known to clog toilets and he didn't on the cruise, so no worries! ;)

I've been thinking about the whole shower curtain thing...and I hate to admit that I sort of dreaded the thought of the shower (and even using the bathroom after DS because DS made such a mess)...so how would I fix this problem in the future. I've determined that I would bring either alligator clips and/or paper clips and strategically attach them to the shower curtain...and then bring magnetic hooks for the walls to attach the clips to to keep in the curtain in place.

Normally, I don't travel with too many extras and usually get along just fine but I would bring these gizmos next time to try to improve on that situation. It was a downer for me.

There was not a midnight CHOCOLATE buffet...but there WAS a midnight buffet at the Nassau sailaway party on the pool deck. I have some pictures of the party to share, but not the buffet...there were so many people and it was so crowded...taking pictures of the buffet seemed and a big ole pain.

I think all your plans sound great!

I have since realized that CocoCay has a Snorkel Beach. DH and DS both have facial hair and so they have a hard time with typical snorklel gear...we did two snorkeling trips during Spring Break so I let the idea go at CocoCay. I do recall reading that the Snorkel Beach and the Water Sports Beach are rocky...decent for snorkeling but can be rough on your feet. So beware and maybe research that out a bit to see if you need to figure out / prepare for the footwear situation, especially for anyone with sensitive feet.

Snorkeling where we were on CocoCay wouldn't be too interesting IMO. The water is very, very shallow for a long, long way out. Having normal swim goggles to see the few fish around was all you really needed...the water was so clear and shallow, you could see them when you were just standing in the water...the underwater life in that area wasn't too interesting truthfully.

My son didn't go to the kids club. I don't have anything to share about that. Sorry. He needed to sleep! LOL...so he would sleep in late in the mornings. He is a musician/performer and is attracted to the Trivia and the bands and the shows. And the food! ;)

On most of our cruises, we have eaten at the buffet for dinner at least one night...the surprising thing about it...it can be so QUIET in the buffet for dinner. The MDR can be quite noisy...but an evening in the buffet can be very nice.

Chops IS a great restaurant. I ate on the one on the Allure. I highly recommend that mushroom soup! I talked to a fellow passenger on our shuttle to the port about Chops and we both reminisced fondly about how tasty that soup is! Mom gets the bacon appetizer...which sounds so weird, but was really good.

The Chops on Enchantment looked beautiful. We opted out of the additional cost this trip so I didn't peep in, but from what I could see...and knowing it is a mirror image of the Schooner Bar...there is a lovely view in Chops. Big, floor to ceiling windows...and I believe that on Day 4, you would have a sunset view from Chops. It's a lovely thought to be eating in there then.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Great review. Enjoying the photos and details.

We had a fine cruise on the Enchantment last year.

Especially liked the Solarium and Park Cafe.

We had been to Coco Cay before, but missed it last year due to high winds, so have enjoyed your photos of this fun private island.

They did, if you are referring to the thing that hangs on the wall in the shower. I don't recall exactly if it was Shampoo or something else...and I also can't verify that it was filled with anything, or what was in it, because I didn't use it.

But it was there.

They did, if you are referring to the thing that hangs on the wall in the shower. I don't recall exactly if it was Shampoo or something else...and I also can't verify that it was filled with anything, or what was in it, because I didn't use it.

But it was there.

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

P1110021_zpssufo4xdb.jpg

The Triple Coconut Mojito! From the menu: Malibu coconut rum, coconut water, and a rim of desiccated coconut are three more reasons to enjoy this Cuban classic.

This is the only lounge on board capable of making the Coconut Mojito...

I am happy you posted about this one - you showed the drink menus earlier, and I saw this drink - the description looked really good :D Planning on trying one!

Thank you again to those that have left positive comments. I really do appreciate that...

This is Day 3.

The port is Nassau. The ship is schedule to be in port at 7:00 am. All aboard isn't until 11:30 PM. PM people. This is a midnight sailaway from Nassau.

The day is WEDNESDAY. Please note. WEDNESDAY. Muy importante.

Muy.

Given the fact that we would have all day to do what whatever it was that we were going to do in port...we decided that we would have an alarm-less morning AGAIN. Wake up whenever you wake up.

We were startled awake by the weekly drills that the crew performs on WEDNESDAY.

CD Marc comes piping INTO my cabin saying not to worry, please ignore what is going on, the crew is just doing it's weekly drill.

And then the MUSTER ALARM SOUNDED.

OMG.

So much for sleeping in.

The announcement woke me up.

The alarm woke up DS.

It was slightly comical the way he SPRANG up and said MUSTER DRILL in a slightly alarmed and still sleepy kind of way.

But in that awesome way teenagers have...he was almost immediately back asleep upon hearing our reassuring voices explaining that it was just another drill for the crew only. Ignore everything going on.

Unfortunately, I do not function like that any longer. Sigh. I used to...but those days are long gone and now I was awake.

Might as well get up and eat.

There were several announcements...I'm sure they were piped into the room...but I cannot verify because I was no longer there.

The crew was on board acting like there was a muster drill going on...they were in their vests and stationed throughout the ship.

And that super loud, super ANNOYING signal was sounded at LEAST once more, if not twice. We thought for sure that DS would have been woken up by that alarm...but breakfast ended in the Windjammer and DH and I decided to leave the buffet, finally, since DS was not appearing.

A quick check in the cabin showed us that DS was still zonked out...he woke up briefly and we were able to tell him where to find us when he finally arose.

We headed to the Solarium.

An interesting thing that the crew practiced was to put some lifeboats into the water. We were impressed and happy that they actually practiced doing so...we had never witnessed this before.

P1100968_zpsse0rxslc.jpg

P1100973_zpswpw4bos5.jpg

P1100974_zpssrplqhgr.jpg

There was an announcement warning all passengers to NOT go onto the Promenade Deck as they would be launching lifeboats...and advising any interested passengers to watch from the upper pool decks.

There were several announcements regarding the different drills the crew were doing...and several times, I heard the assurance that there were no emergencies...the crew was only performing their weekly drills. And I swear that there was mention of the fact that they do these drills on Wednesday.

I have not taken the time to research now if the port schedule of Enchantment is such that she is in Nassau on Wednesdays? I don't know if it matters if she is at CocoCay or Nassau to do the drills?

Regardless...I am left with the impression that the key word here was Wednesday.

SO. Warning to all passengers that think they are going to catch up on some uninterrupted sleep on Wednesday.

If anyone reading can shed more light on these weekly drills...please chime in. I have only this one experience...

Prior to our departure, the weather forecast was predicting an 80% chance of rain in Nassau. Therefore, it was no surprise to wake up to rainfall. The day was still very overcast, but it did stop raining after a while:

P1100971_zpsqzptr1nm.jpg

The very first announcement of the day was to inform the ship of having cleared whatever they clear and saying that passengers were now able to disembark. We were informed that we had the prime parking spot and were in the first one berth.

The only other ship in port today was an NCL one:

P1100972_zps9qvqoatx.jpg

The Solarium was surprisingly empty...based on what I have read about how people feel about Nassau, I thought for sure there would be more people still on the ship. I took the opportunity to take some Solarium pictures.

The pool is the center piece of the Solarium:

P1100963_zps1xl3zgsb.jpg

It is flanked by two whirlpools...one on each side. They are fully shaded:

P1100959_zpsvdpuqbnf.jpg

P1100960_zpszmlhf7n9.jpg

The Solarium is very symmetrical. There are planters filled with greenery that surround the pool and create a sort of courtyard effect. There is unique artwork in each planter:

P1100958_zpstt9ta9dj.jpg

P1100957_zpslfpy8rvn.jpg

Within the pool courtyard is a shower:

P1100961_zpsja34cmru.jpg

This fun guy is also in the "courtyard":

P1100962_zpsagxctd4g.jpg

You can also see how the lounge chairs in the Solarium are cushioned.

On three sides of the pool, there are tables and chairs:

P1100964_zpsxk0tcipy.jpg

P1100965_zpsjivxpzas.jpg

This is the seating area adjacent to the Park Cafe. There is a mirror image on the other side of the ship.

On the side that backs up to the spa, there is this lovely living wall...with a few more tables and chairs (not pictured):

P1100980_zpsmjjklb8s.jpg

The Solarium bar is on the opposite side that backs up to the elevator bank. But I guess I didn't photograph that bar.

FYI...these photos were taken sometime between 11 o'clock and 12 noon.

This fun guy is also in the "courtyard":

P1100962_zpsagxctd4g.jpg

You can also see how the lounge chairs in the Solarium are cushioned.

On three sides of the pool, there are tables and chairs:

P1100964_zpsxk0tcipy.jpg

P1100965_zpsjivxpzas.jpg

This is the seating area adjacent to the Park Cafe. There is a mirror image on the other side of the ship.

On the side that backs up to the spa, there is this lovely living wall...with a few more tables and chairs (not pictured):

P1100980_zpsmjjklb8s.jpg

The Solarium bar is on the opposite side that backs up to the elevator bank. But I guess I didn't photograph that bar.

FYI...these photos were taken sometime between 11 o'clock and 12 noon.

The Solarium is my favorite spot on the ship. If I skip either port, it will be for this.

Good guess. Makes total sense to me.

Not all the lifeboats were dropped in the drill...only saw a couple. I wonder if they rotate which ones they drop?

Yes, that's been my observation when we do consecutive cruises.

Hi Anita,

Thanks for a great review and love your photos. You have really helped me understand how things work on this ship.

I am going on 4 day Mon - Fri cruise on Dec 14. I have been on a P&O cruise in Australia and it was ok. I was a bit bored to tell you the truth. I viewed your compass pages and I think there will be enough to keep me busy on Enchantment.

We have purchased the drink package as well so looking forward to trying out a few cocktails.

Trasie

I just want to clarify one thing. The drink of the day is not pre made. It's made fresh every time. I know because I love the drink of the day. They are my favorite. Someone may have have already made the comment, I apologize as I didn't read the entire review.

But the pics are great. I am getting excited as I will be on the allure April of next year.

Happy cruising.