Cats on Oasis

Have to disagree with all the negativity about Cats. We are on the ship now and saw last night. Wife is very up on the show and has seen 6 times before last night. I liked it but didn't follow as many here complain about. I told her that the complaints say that there is no plot for one. She said "what", there certainly is. She said that out of the 7 times, this was the best as the isles were used more. I can attest that the singing and dancing were far better than I've ever seen on a ship. You need to sit close to get the full view of the faces and gestures on the cats.

True, not as crowded after intermission, but I don't think it's because of the lack of quality in the show. The show is long (2 1/2 hrs with 15 min intermission) and there are other things going on at the same time.

Maybe the complainers are just dog people?

Well,

Mr Blue Collar, give me hot wings and a beer will give his opinion in early May of next year. Like you, my wife has seen Cats several times, I've avoided it so far, but I'll go then. It will figure into my review. I may keep my self entertained taking pictures at least through intermission.

Have to disagree with all the negativity about Cats. We are on the ship now and saw last night. Wife is very up on the show and has seen 6 times before last night. I liked it but didn't follow as many here complain about. I told her that the complaints say that there is no plot for one. She said "what", there certainly is. She said that out of the 7 times, this was the best as the isles were used more. I can attest that the singing and dancing were far better than I've ever seen on a ship. You need to sit close to get the full view of the faces and gestures on the cats.

True, not as crowded after intermission, but I don't think it's because of the lack of quality in the show. The show is long (2 1/2 hrs with 15 min intermission) and there are other things going on at the same time.

I agree with you 100%. I just saw it last week. Sat 2 rows from stage on the aisle where I got a great glimpse of the costumes and had the cats literally crawling all over us. The show is long and the plot (yes, there is on) is a little on the boring side, but the performers, both singing and dancing, were FANTASTIC!

My wife and I just got off the Oasis, and we got first row seats, wow! You know that in real life, you would never be able to afford front row seats. It made a lot of difference up close, you can see their facial expressions and can actually identify the different cats. They also did run next to us in the aisle and interacted with us.

There were kids in the front rows and they had lots of interaction with the cast, some of the cast even hug them. One of the little girls even when up to the stage at intermission and was doing the cat dance. She really enjoyed the show, smart parents to take them to the show.

Will see the show in about 5 weeks .......here's a couple woof--woof just in case I complain !!

My husband got me tickets to see Cats off Broadway a few years ago.

He fell asleep before the first intermission.

He woke up all confused and I tried my best to fill him in before act two. He really did try to enjoy it. But he was asleep again before it was over. He did wake up in time to see the "Alien Cat Thing" come down from the sky. (His words).

To each their own. Not my favorite show either. Give me Wicked or a classic like Singing in the Rain any day/

Im a musical theater fanatic and have seen Cats up close a few times' date=' but can't say its my fave show. I do find the beginning of act 2 to be really boring, but we will go see it - can always leave at intermission - didn't cost anything! :)[/quote']

Awww....I really love Cats. I've seen it so many times, I've lost count. But I will agree with the above comment that the pirate ship act is pretty boring. I just tough it out until it's over. The rewards are great:).

Personally I hated it, and I find that I'm pretty easy to please. I have enjoyed every cruise ship show I have seen until I saw CATS.

Perhaps they were still working out the kinks, but I know I wasn't the only one that didn't like it. My whole group couldn't wait to leave at the intermission, and from what I heard, less than 50% stayed for the 2nd half.

Personally I hated it, and I find that I'm pretty easy to please. I have enjoyed every cruise ship show I have seen until I saw CATS.

What about other Broadway musicals that you've seen? It's not a cruise ship show, it's a full length Broadway musical. Personally, I think most cruise ship production shows are terrible -- ridiculous combinations of songs that leave me scratching my head wondering what they were thinking.

Perhaps they were still working out the kinks, but I know I wasn't the only one that didn't like it. My whole group couldn't wait to leave at the intermission, and from what I heard, less than 50% stayed for the 2nd half.

We saw Cats on Oasis in March and I thought it was excellent. We'd seen it 3 times previously but the last time was probably 20 years ago. The cast was excellent and the show was very well done from a performance and technical standpoint. The story is there if you pay attention. This is a show that ran for many years on Broadway and is one of the longest running shows of all time (as opposed to We Will Rock You, which never even played on Broadway). I suspect that many people just don't want a show that's more than mindless fun that most of the Broadway shows they do on cruise ships are. And it's obviously too long for many people to invest time in on a ship with other activities going on at the same time.

Edited by MisterBill99

What about other Broadway musicals that you've seen? It's not a cruise ship show, it's a full length Broadway musical. Personally, I think most cruise ship production shows are terrible -- ridiculous combinations of songs that leave me scratching my head wondering what they were thinking.

I guess my main problem with it is that there was zero talking dialogue. That made it difficult for me to take any interest. CATS just seems to be very polarizing when it comes to whether or not it captivates the audience. There are like the Nickleback of musicals. It may be one of the most popular musicals of all time, but guaranteed, more people you talk to will hate it than the number of people who will like it.

Personally, I find it chaotic and poorly written, but that's just my opinion.

Thats good to hear. We are booked for the oasis and Cats!

Personally, I find it chaotic and poorly written, but that's just my opinion.

T. S. Eliot appreciates your criticism.

I guess my main problem with it is that there was zero talking dialogue. That made it difficult for me to take any interest.

Yet you say you like other cruise ship shows, which consist only of songs, often combined in ridiculous orders for no obvious reason.

Edited by MisterBill99