HMC Question

pirate4me2

Hey everyone!

I will be sailing to Half Moon Cay for the first time next October on the Glory. My question is this: are there shady spots on the beach to get away from the sun, or should we spend the money on a cabana? We are trying to make this our "cheap" cruise for the year as we are doing a Journey's cruise in March, so I really was thinking HMC would just be a nice beach day. DH burns pretty easily though, so if there isn't any shade I guess we could rent a cabana so he doesn't burn. If it is anything like Grand Turk, where there are a few trees to get away from it, we should be OK though. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I am going to HMC for the first time in March, 2016. My understanding is there are also clam shell type covers available that fit over 2 chaise lounges for shade costing about $20-$30 for the day.

You can see pictures if you google Half Moon Cay Clamshells.

This is what we opted to do to keep costs down.

We've been on that run for the Glory and got the cabana. With just the two of us it was really, really nice. Later in the afternoon a couple from our dining table joined us, but we were the on the first tender over and last one back. Super day!

Edited by BallFour4

Hey everyone!

I will be sailing to Half Moon Cay for the first time next October on the Glory. My question is this: are there shady spots on the beach to get away from the sun, or should we spend the money on a cabana? We are trying to make this our "cheap" cruise for the year as we are doing a Journey's cruise in March, so I really was thinking HMC would just be a nice beach day. DH burns pretty easily though, so if there isn't any shade I guess we could rent a cabana so he doesn't burn. If it is anything like Grand Turk, where there are a few trees to get away from it, we should be OK though. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

There were plenty of trees for shade along the beach when we were there in 2012. DH sat under a tree and read while I frolicked in the water. HMC is so beautiful. Enjoy.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I would love to rent a cabana and we may do that in the future, but this time around I think we will opt to go down the beach as Viv0828 mentioned. I think we can spends the $200+ somewhere else on the cruise. :)

I agree...trees are all around...you can move loungers where you want them! And, if you are done with beachy stuff, you can always head back to the ship...you don't have to stay all day long!

Paying $200 or more for a cabana seems a huge waste of money, to me!

I agree...trees are all around...you can move loungers where you want them! And, if you are done with beachy stuff, you can always head back to the ship...you don't have to stay all day long!

Paying $200 or more for a cabana seems a huge waste of money, to me!

We did a villa last trip to HMC and was nice and doing it again next week.

It is a bit of an extravagance but we thought it was worthwhile/

We were there in April. There are plenty of trees for shade. DH and I walked pretty far down the beach and drug two lounge chairs under a shad tree. When we wanted sun we would pull them out in the sun a little bit but mostly stayed in the shade except for when we were in the water. We liked going down the beach quite a ways because there weren't very many people down there, but you also have no waiters down there either.

You will love HMC!

Cabana is very nice, choose shade or sun with a cabana, very comfortable padded chaises perfect for a nap, private table and chairs inside for eating (snacks and drinks come with cabana and of course can go up and bring bbq lunch down to cabana), refridge so drinks kept cold, one of the things that came in handy was the shower head on the deck of each cabana for spraying off the sand (sand very fine and sticks to everything) used it often, it was just a perfect day, perfect spot, nice to have it to ourselves, our own little island piece of paradise...

We have been a couple of times. We go down the beach a ways and there are lots of trees and plenty of shade and plenty of loungers.

We were in #10 and there were trees around. They are all along where the cabanas are. Hmc is wonderful. We really enjoyed our day there.

Edited by kona_wahine