Snorkeling gear?

mom23krzkidz

Should we rent at each port or buy and bring our own? I'm a little grossed out at the idea of other people having used them before me. I never thought of myself as much of a germaphobe, but apparently I am[emoji1]. Odd change since my husband thinks nothing of renting snorkel gear, but he won't rent bowling shoes[emoji12]. I'm not worried about room in our luggage, just about germs.

While I know you probably realize this is an irrational phobia, for a bit of perspective consider this before you step into an enclosed ship with thousands of other people:

NPR: Wherever You Go, Your Personal Cloud Of Microbes Follows

If you're really concerned about rental snorkling gear just bring along a wee bottle of hand santizer and a couple tissues or cotton balls. Wipe down the parts you'll be touching. Then try not to think about the zillions upon zillions of microbes floating around you when you're in the ocean. :cool:

We bring our own snorkeling gear with us. Being year-round Florida residents, it isn't much of a challenge to throw an extra bag of snorkeling gear into the back of the car and drive to the port. If we were flying to the port, we would probably take our masks and snorkels with us (since they don't take up much space in our suitcases) and use the vendor's vest and fins.

Our primary reason for using our own gear is that (we feel that) it makes for a better experience. We were fitted for our masks at a dive shop, minimizing leaks. The straps on our vests and fins are already adjusted. All we have to do is put on our gear and jump in. We are usually among the first in the water.

The downside to bringing our own equipment, however, is that at the end of the excursion, while everyone else is simply handing the gear back to the vendor, we are cleaning ours and transporting it back to the ship where its home-away-from-home is in our cabin shower.

Edited by polySeraph

Having been snorkeling for 50 years now, I wouldn't think of NOT bringing my own gear. When I arrive on-site, I already know that my mask provides the amount of visibility I want and does not leak, my fins give the power I desire and fit my large feet perfectly (nothing worse than having your feet cramp because the rental fins are tiny), and I don't even give a thought to how my snorkel drains. I rinse my equipment back in the cabin, and they dry it in the shower. Each to his own but, for me, being able to enjoy the snorkeling and not worry about equipment problems is more than worth the downside of transportation, cleaning, and storage.

The excursions I went on with a different cruise line always let you keep the snorkel at the end of it, and they were always brand new. Does this not occur on NCL excursions? I was hoping to snorkel while traveling the Escape and prefer not to have to buy a set when I am already paying close to 200 for two people to snorkel let alone the hassle of carrying it after if we want to do some shopping. The only thing was the mask that was soaked in soapy water, but that is ok to us.

Alrighty...buying our own:) do we need a vest? Or just masks, snorkels and fins? I am a snorkel noob, while hubby has gone a lot.

I don't use fin's much or a vest ( more of a floater, sightseeing).

Fin's rental maybe??

Edited by biker@sea

Should we rent at each port or buy and bring our own? I'm a little grossed out at the idea of other people having used them before me. I never thought of myself as much of a germaphobe, but apparently I am[emoji1]. Odd change since my husband thinks nothing of renting snorkel gear, but he won't rent bowling shoes[emoji12]. I'm not worried about room in our luggage, just about germs.

Bring your own if you have it. You know how it fits and you don't spend precious minutes adjusting fins and mask straps.

Alrighty...buying our own:) do we need a vest? Or just masks, snorkels and fins? I am a snorkel noob, while hubby has gone a lot.

I always bring my own vest (as well as gear). I find it to be a good insurance policy against becoming a statistic. Even excellent swimmers can get a cramp, mouthful of water or stung by a jellyfish.

I’ve even inflated the vest to fix an equipment malfunction in thirty feet of water.

You know, it would really depend on your swimming ability and what you are comfortable with. I just recently bought my own vest because we spent 2 weeks in St. Maarten. I never once used it. What I DID use was a rash guard. It protected me from sunburn like a champ as I hate sunscreen and sunscreen wears off. As I was face down snorkeling I did not use sunscreen on my face, which was very helpful while wearing a mask.

Any excursion you take will provide the vest as they require them. Again I would only buy a vest if I planned on snorkeling off a beach on my own and was not sure of my swimming ability, or the swimming ability of my snorkel buddy, in case I needed to help them.

The excursions I went on with a different cruise line always let you keep the snorkel at the end of it, and they were always brand new. Does this not occur on NCL excursions? I was hoping to snorkel while traveling the Escape and prefer not to have to buy a set when I am already paying close to 200 for two people to snorkel let alone the hassle of carrying it after if we want to do some shopping. The only thing was the mask that was soaked in soapy water, but that is ok to us.

Some excursions provide a new wrapped snorkel, with or without the company's logo on it, but not all do. NCL has no say in that, it is a snorkel company decision. Regardless, they are all classic open tube snorkels. I prefer my own dry snorkel, and use that, but will take the souvenir snorkel home if it has a logo on it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did the research and bought some things. Everything is great, except in my head the fins were MUCH smaller. These things are HUGE! Double checked to make sure I didn't get something meant for something else. Nope, these are the right things, just giant:) now lugging them around is going to be a pain...thoughts on that?

So I did the research and bought some things. Everything is great, except in my head the fins were MUCH smaller. These things are HUGE! Double checked to make sure I didn't get something meant for something else. Nope, these are the right things, just giant:) now lugging them around is going to be a pain...thoughts on that?

My wife and I each bring a snorkel back pack. These get stuffed into a rolling duff bag we always bring. Shoes and other stuff like that go in also. We also bring with us a 30 inch bag and 2 carry on's

You do know they have different sized fins right? I just bought a pair of smaller ones, they have a little less power but thats OK

http://www.swimoutlet.com/training-swim-fins-c9647/

Edited by Laszlo

What a colorful selection on that website:) I did see different sizes, but all the reviews said the shorter ones were not great. We bought these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061QB0DI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01 after looking through several dozen websites on how to buy gear, visiting a local dive shop, and reading tons of Amazon reviews:) hopefully they will do just fine. We also got dry snorkels.

We have done both....brought our own gear on some trips and rented it on others. If we were going snorkeling in every port...better to bring our own. If we were going once, then better to rent. I have been okay with the sanitizing methods I have seen thus far. I am thinking though...that great stirrup cay requires you to have their vest even if you bring your own equipment...but I am not sure. Just do the research first if you bring your own.

coka

Last time I went snorkeling I abandoned the fins. They kept making my foot cramp. Without the fins I was just fine. If you don't want to take them, ditch 'em.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Improper fitting fins will do that, even ones that fit well will do that once in a while. Stretch your arches for about 5 minutes before you go in, that will help