NCL credit card hold for charges

BingoSlots

Another newbie question...

When boarding the ship, I know I am required to either put down cash or a credit card in order to pay for the charges incurred while on the cruise. Does anyone know the amount they "hold" on your credit card? Or how much cash you will need to put down per person for a 7 night stay?

We are trying to pay for everything in cash and not want to worry about credit cards.

Thanks!

While the FAQ states $300 per person for a cash deposit, in reality you can put down whatever you want. We just left the breakaway this past Sunday and my BIL used cash and only started with A $200 deposit for him and his wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A credit card "hold" is not like a debit card hold....it shouldn't affect your ability to spend.

Well, actually it does. If you have a $5000 limit on your credit card, a $300 hold means that you have $4700 spendable left on your limit until the hold is released.

Our NCL PCC said it was $300.00 per cabin (not per person) if paid for all guests with one credit card. Is this not correct? We have 3 people in our Dawn mini suite.

For cards, AFAIK it is per account.

Edited by Demonyte

Our NCL PCC said it was $300.00 per cabin (not per person) if paid for all guests with one credit card. Is this not correct? We have 3 people in our Dawn mini suite.

As I said before it is supposed to be $300 per person but that is not what they enforce. You can pretty much put down however much you want.

As I said before it is supposed to be $300 per person but that is not what they enforce. You can pretty much put down however much you want.

Person you answered to asked about hold placed on credit card - one can't decide how much hold is placed when using any type of payment card.

I use cc to set up my account but pay in cash before I leave the ship. I think it's much easier that way, I haven't seen any holds on my card once I am off the ship, but then I only use my card when travelling so might just not have noticed

Not all card providers show credit card holds anywhere. But same for me, I rarely notice holds afterwards - I have one card that always shows holds in online account statement too but most do not.

Person you answered to asked about hold placed on credit card - one can't decide how much hold is placed when using any type of payment card.

Actually the OP was asking how much cash they would need because they didn't want to worry about credit cards.

Same question comes up week after week.

Answers are somewhat correct most of the time.

BIG NOTE: Do not compare a credit card to a debit card. Two different animals.

In the end, Credit card is the easiest, fastest, safest way to do this. They just charge your card on the last day. You can pay it off the day you get home, or wait for the bill to arrive.

If you do cash and have some left at the end, you have to go get it back.

Another newbie question...

When boarding the ship, I know I am required to either put down cash or a credit card in order to pay for the charges incurred while on the cruise. Does anyone know the amount they "hold" on your credit card? Or how much cash you will need to put down per person for a 7 night stay?

We are trying to pay for everything in cash and not want to worry about credit cards.

Thanks!

I buy on board credits prior to sailing. I don't post a credit card, nor do I post cash. Our DSC is pre-paid, UBP/UDP is pre-paid (or free), and we don't accumulate that much of a bill on board. Tips from drinks and dinner and an double espresso here and there.

I buy on board credits prior to sailing. I don't post a credit card, nor do I post cash. Our DSC is pre-paid, UBP/UDP is pre-paid (or free), and we don't accumulate that much of a bill on board. Tips from drinks and dinner and an double espresso here and there.

Great idea. Do they just refund any unused OBC?

Great idea. Do they just refund any unused OBC?

Yes, they'll mail you a check 4-6 weeks later to the home address you put on your reservation.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Yes, they'll mail you a check 4-6 weeks later to the home address you put on your reservation.

A check? And 4-6 weeks? Screw that. Would be better if they just refunded the unused portion back to the payment method used.

A check? And 4-6 weeks? Screw that. Would be better if they just refunded the unused portion back to the payment method used.

Well, I brought my OBC with a credit card and when the refund came, I just put it in saving account. (Luckily with Chase bank, can just sign the back and deposit it at their ATM machines. Took like less than 2 minutes because, well, there was no line. *shrug*). To each their own....

For credit cards it is not $300 hold per person but per account. So if two people are on same account it is a total of $300 for both, not each.

For credit cards it is not $300 hold per person but per account. So if two people are on same account it is a total of $300 for both, not each.

I'm talking cash as that is what the OP was really interested in.

Based on our experience it was per account- DW and I were in one cabin and our two sons were across the hall and the hold was $300. Our friend that was traveling with us used cash for her account and put down $152 (we had prepaid her service charges for her).