Are the excursions worth it on the western Caribbean on the Norwegian Jade?

Artgirl00

Hi-

We are sailing on the Norwegian Jade 7-Day Western Caribbean from Houston in December. Is it worth going on any of the ship's excursions in Cozumel, Belize City, or Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras? If so, which excursions would you recommend?

Thanks, Marilyn

Hi-

We are sailing on the Norwegian Jade 7-Day Western Caribbean from Houston in December. Is it worth going on any of the ship's excursions in Cozumel, Belize City, or Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras? If so, which excursions would you recommend?

Thanks, Marilyn

In Cozumel I would suggest booking nacho cocum for the day. $55 pp. all food and alchol included. They only sell 100 passes per day so never crowded. Book in advance on their web sight Taxi is easy right off the terminal. Just follow the signs. 20 minutes at the most and $17 dollars for the taxi.

Edited by hladygirl

You pay up to a 40% premium when you book an excursion through the cruise line, but you do get a guarantee that if something goes wrong like the bus breaks down, they'll wait for you or if the schedule is changed for any reason, you'll get a full refund. Some think it's worth it and others prefer to do their own thing.

We've had good luck with both and we've even been on the same tour as the cruise line but booked independently (saving about $30 each!).

As for which ones you should do, that's hard to answer without knowing what type of people you are! Do you like to sight-see, be active, swim, snorkel, lay on a beach, shop, party, etc., etc., etc?

Edited by Guindalf

I see this is your first posting on cruise critic. Is it also your first cruise? If so, I recommend booking excursions through the NCL. Many people will not agree with this. Here's my experience. Several years ago, I went on a cruise with a first time cruiser. We booked an independent tour. We were in Semana, DR, where there is a lot of poverty. The tour was highly recommended on these boards. I think the tour had become more popular and less experienced guides were hired. We ran very, very late getting back to the ship. My friend who was uncomfortable with the tour from the beginning was very, very nervous as it got later and later. The worst part of all was as we were returning (cutting it very close), the guide stopped the vehicle and we got a pretty long winded reminder on tipping. I was annoyed but my friend was pretty upset. That was of course the first stop and each additional stop we made was not as enjoyable as it should have been. He was nervous every time we went on a tour.

Is the difference between the price of ship excursions and independent worth it? It is for me when I go with him because he's not going to enjoy himself on an independent tour.

Curious too. We will be on the star in Jan. I have read various contradicting reports on the safety in some ports and aren't sure if we want to go with independent tours, or $hip tours(opinions please) - but we are NY'ers, and get upset when people say it is not safe in NY. Yes, wherever you are you must be "street smart" and constantly aware of your surroundings. What are some of the best tours (not beaches)?

Would really appreciate any and all info

Safe sailing

Hi-

Thanks, Marilyn

As you can see, there are loads of tour to select. You - first need to narrow down your interests. THEN take a look at each port of call on this site's port of call board. Loads of information on every port.

There is no point in me, raving about my snorkel trips- if of no interest to you. :)

I book independent. You'll need to determine, how you wish to book any tours.

If you like Mayan stuff try "Lamanai Ruins & River Safari" in Belize, we did similar on Royal Carib and it was a good day out, late getting back so glad it was a ship's tour.

Speaking of NCL excursions, I wish their website's list could be (a) sorted by port, and (b) downloaded as a pdf - would be so much easier when multiple people are involved.

Speaking of NCL excursions, I wish their website's list could be (a) sorted by port, and (b) downloaded as a pdf - would be so much easier when multiple people are involved.

After logging in to MyNCL and going to the shore excursions for your trip, scroll down to "Filter By" on the left side and click the day you want. Still no way to download as a PDF that I know of - Princess had that, which was nice.

Roatan is probably the most sketchy of those ports, so if you only do one NCL-sponsored excursion I'd probably do it there. Personally I like Maya Key in Roatan, mainly for the animal sanctuary although they have a lovely beach and pool as well, but it depends on what your interests are.

Belize is a tender port, so if the tour you want would cut the timing at all close, book it through the ship. My husband was almost 45 minutes late getting back from an NCL-sponsored tour, and the ship waited. Had he booked directly he would have been out of luck.

In Costa Maya your best bet is to take the $3 shuttle to the malecon, where you'll find an endless strip of all-inclusive beach clubs. I'm not a big beach person, but I thoroughly enjoy people bringing me an endless supply of goodies while I kick back under a palapa, and for this my personal pick is Nohoch Kay.

Cozumel is probably the best port to book directly with the local operator. There are a million options, and as long as you check the reviews online for reports of timely returns, you should be good to go. Again personal preference, but my favorite excursion there was the Cozumel Bar Hop.

We have done both kinds of excursions cruise ships and independent. They both have plus and minuses. If tendering at port a cruise ships plus is you are a priority getting off the ship.

Another plus is that the ship will wait for you. Independent tours are mostly cheaper but more variables that you not know about until on the tour. Sometimes they make more stops at local businesses and can ask for more money. You have to know your tour people from other sites like tripadvisor etc.

My recommendation for Cozumel Is Salsa, Salsa and Margaritas. It was a lot of fun and a short taxi ride from the port. You will still have time to shop and wander around the downtown area. We had lunch at a beautiful cool oasis at Panchos Backyard. It was a great day.

Rarely are ANY excursions needed...IF you do your research!!! Most things are quite easy to do on your own. A guidebook is the best way to get the most from your time ashore. Libraries have them, if you don't want to buy one.!

We're doing the same itinerary on the Star in November. We are doing an NCL excursion in Roatan, but only because that is the only way to get there. We're going to Maya Key, a small island near the port that has great snorkeling, but they only book through the cruise lines.

In the other ports we're doing it on our own.

Costa Maya - Maya Chan Beach Resort

Belize - Goff Caye through Island Marketing

Cozumel - What ever hits us that day :D Probably taxi to Chankanaab Park.

Which port is best for zip lining, Belize or Roatan?

I can't compare, but we zip lined in Roatan with South Shore Ziplining, and it was absolutely amazing! I think it was $45 per person (before tip) and there were 12 zip lines through the jungle. I wouldn't do it with small children because you are not hooked in all the time, but other than that it was fantastic.

Hi-

Thanks, Marilyn

Totally depends on if the ship is the destination for you or the ports are. For us, we only cruise because of the access to so many different experiences around the world. I would never dream of staying on the ship. If the ship is your destination, then I have heard that port days are great to hang out because you get your pick of things to do without crowds.

We loved Chankanaab in Cozumel, just took a cab there and are doing it again in December. We also went to Paradise Beach over the summer and liked it.

Belize- We went cave tubing with cavetubing dot bz in 2013. It was fun, but it rained so it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it could have been. However, the company was fantastic.

Roatan- We ziplined with South Shore Ziplining when we went in 2013. We originally had plans to do a tour and ziplining with Bodden Tours, but it was raining when we docked, and I am already a chicken, so there was no way I was going to zipline in the rain. We got off (me, hubby, my 3 kids were 9, 9, and 11 at the time, my oldest brother and sister) and walked around looking in the shops. We got a little harassed, but never felt unsafe (of course my hubby and brother are pretty big guys, so someone would be a fool to mess with them). Then it cleared up and we decided to go zip lining. We had actually talked with a woman who owned a shop and was from Canada, her son had gone to college in Georgia and we went back and asked her to recommend transportation and a place and she called a cabbie who she knew and he took us and waiting while we ziplined.

Costa Maya- We really didn't have plans when we went in 2013, and took a cab to Senor Frogs. I wouldn't recommend it. Small beach area, just nothing great. We are going to Blue Kay Beach this time and it looks so much nicer and it's free unless you want to rent bikes, kayaks, snorkel equip (we have our own). One tip...DO NOT let the people sell you a "tour" at a beach. It gets you absolutely nothing. We made that mistake at Senor Frogs and paid $15 for a wooden chair, which I had to fight to get once I got there. Total rip off. The places are free. Sometimes they make you spend a certain amount on drinks/food, which you would spend if you were eating there anyway.

Have fun!!

Edited by mickev99

I am heading there in December and am super excited about it. Here is a great review (which is how I found out about it). Starts at post # 291.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130767&page=15

Thank you so much for the link to the fabulous review and photos. Little French Key looks amazing. I will be there for sure in December too. thanks again!

C.

I can't compare, but we zip lined in Roatan with South Shore Ziplining, and it was absolutely amazing! I think it was $45 per person (before tip) and there were 12 zip lines through the jungle. I wouldn't do it with small children because you are not hooked in all the time, but other than that it was fantastic.

Thank you.

No, no kids. Just old fogies

Which port is best for zip lining, Belize or Roatan?

I did the Butts Up cave tubing and zip line adventure and by far was the best excursion I have ever been on in my cruising history. You can google the company. It was my first time for both. We had a group of people ages 36-65 and everyone had a great time. You will not regret it.