Carnival Breeze B2B review with 107 photos & 11 videos

Spaniel Lover

San Juan, Puerto Rico

SanJuan-IMG_0162.JPG

The Carnival Breeze docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico

Kellyn and I have been to San Juan many times before. The thing we like about it the most is that there's a CVS drug store right across the street from the cruise ship pier! We always head over to CVS to pick up anything we may have forgotten to bring with us, or anything we've run out of, or anything that's just a little too expensive on the ship.

We felt like having a lazy day onboard the ship on this particular day. Cruise ships can be a bit crowded at times, especially the whirlpool tubs and swimming pools, so sometimes if you don't have anything you want to do on shore, it's a good idea to just stay on the ship and enjoy it being mostly empty. We made a quick trip to CVS and to Starbucks, and then got right back onboard. We had the whirlpool tub on the Serenity deck all to ourselves!

Earlier, I explained to you how Kellyn and I are all about the beach... and how we generally don't visit historical sites in the various ports of call. Well, San Juan is the one exception that comes to mind. The last time we were in San Juan, which was just earlier this year during a cruise on Royal Caribbean's Independence Of The Seas, we toured the old forts that were built hundreds of years ago at the entrance to the San Juan harbor. It was very cool. If you're ever in San Juan and don't know what to do, grab the free trolley across the street from the cruise ship pier and take it over to the historic forts known as Castillo de San Cristobal, and El Morro. I really got a kick out of walking all around the forts and imagining the days when they repelled an attack by Sir Francis Drake!

Here's a photo I snapped of El Morro on a previous visit...

ElMorro-IMG_8360.JPG

"El Morro" guards the San Juan harbor entrance, and Castillo de San Cristobal can be seen in the background

Grand Turk

Grand Turk is another one of those destinations we've been to many times. It's absolutely one of our favorite cruise ship destinations! We always have fun there.

GrandTurk-IMG_0234.JPG

From the beach at Grand Turk, you can truly see that cruise ships don't sit very deep in the water!

As you can see in the photo, the ship docks at a pier right next to a great beach in Grand Turk. You can literally walk out your cabin door and be on to the beach in five minutes. There's absolutely no charge to spend the day at the beach and even to use the loungers. However, if you want an umbrella or one of those big blue covers over your lounger, that'll cost you a small but reasonable charge.

Another free activity you can do at Grand Turk is to spend the day at the pool at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. There's a gigantic swimming pool, surrounded by hundreds of loungers, and you can use them totally for free. The trick is to get there early enough to find one under the shade of an umbrella. As you can see in the next photo of the beautiful pool at Margaritaville, not many of the loungers are shaded by umbrellas. We try to be one of the first people off the ship in Grand Turk so that we can snag one.

GrandTurk-MargaritavillePool-IMG_3208.JPG

A very cool thing about Margaritaville on Grand Turk is that they have a Flowrider surf simulator. I always enjoy watching people crash and burn on the Flowrider. Here's a video I shot of some of my fellow passengers doing just that! (Although the video starts with one amazing success!)

[YOUTUBE]8RMeLJPQ0h4[/YOUTUBE]

After a few hours by the pool, we give up our choice spot and head in to the Margaritaville restaurant for a nice lunch. I always enjoy the nachos...

MargaritavilleNachos-IMG_0455.JPG

There was an unfortunate incident at the pool at Margaritaville on this particular day, and it kind of ruined lunch for us, though. While I was shooting that video of kids on the Flowrider, some guy just a few feet from Kellyn got upset at his young daughter and simply beat the hell out of her right there in public. Kellyn saw the whole thing, as did quite a few other passengers. Kellyn yelled at the guy to stop, but of course, it didn't faze him. I missed the whole thing as I was at the other side of the pool, next to the Flowrider. But even though I didn't see the incident itself, I know it happened... because one of the other passengers came up to Kellyn later and talked to her about the whole thing they had witnessed. And when we got up to leave to go have our lunch, Kellyn stared down the child-beater as we walked by him... and he proceeded to give her the finger right there in front of me. Classy guy. Thanks for ruining our day.

Turnaround Day

As I've mentioned, our 14-day cruise was actually two cruises: an 8-day cruise followed by a 6-day cruise. So, at the end of 8-days, the ship returned to Miami. It was so beautiful as we docked in Miami and the sun came up...

MiamiSunrise-IMG_0342.JPG

Sunrise in Miami

Turning the camera in the opposite direction... with the wonderful lighting of sunrise, downtown Miami was a beautiful sight. Especially with another cruise ship docked on the other side of the island!

Miami-BeforeSunrise-IMG_0321.JPG

That's the Aida Luna cruise ship, which belongs to a German subsidiary of the Carnival Corporation.

With our ship docked in Miami, it was time for 99% of the passengers to head home. About 50 people were going to stay onboard for a B2B. Some of them elected to go in to Miami for the day and to come back onboard later. But most of them stayed on the ship, and posed for this picture...

B2B-scan.jpg

Carnival gave each of us a free print of the photo!

I have to tell you that it's REALLY FUN to watch 4000 passengers get off the ship and to know that you get to stick around for another 6 days! It's also really fun to be able to walk around a nearly empty ship before all the new passengers are allowed onboard!

EmptyLido-IMG_0343.JPG

An almost-empty Lido deck before general boarding has begun. Nobody but us B2Bers here!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

The first stop on the second leg of our B2B was Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Here's the view as our ship tied up at the pier...

OchoRios-IMG_0439.JPG

A peaceful scene just after sunrise as our ship docked in Ocho Rios

I am delighted to report that things have gotten a LOT better in Ocho Rios. It used to be kind of a scary place. We were here once before, and the local vendors were REALLY aggressive. During that previous visit, Kellyn and I walked off the ship and in to the downtown area... and got so scared during the first few minutes that we bought one thing at a local shop and then marched right back to the safety of the ship. And we were not the only ones that were made really uncomfortable in Ocho Rios. It was an infamous spot that people on CruiseCritic talked about never wanting to visit again. Well, the feedback finally got back to the right people... and this time around, we had a VERY different experience in Ocho Rios. The place was crawling with cops! They were everywhere, and not just one or two here or there. It was amazing. We noticed the difference from the minute we stepped outside of the cruise terminal.

Our plan for the day was to head over to Margaritaville (yeah, they have one in Ocho Rios, too!) and to enjoy the free beach they have and the nice swimming pool and waterslide. We had never been to this particular Margaritaville before, but I read good things about it.

Just like at the Margaritaville in Grand Turk, the plan was to get off the ship quickly so that we could be one of the first ones at Margaritaville... so that, hopefully, we could find a shady spot to sit for the day. As luck would have it, the place was empty when we arrived, and there was a gigantic shade tree where one of the friendly employees placed two lounge chairs for us, while three cops looked on from about 15 feet away. And those cops stayed there for the whole day, thank goodness!

OchoRios-IMG_0442.JPG

Our two little loungers under the shade of a very big tree.

A few hours later, there would be dozens of other people all around us!

Compared to the gigantic swimming pool at the Margaritaville in Grand Turk,

the pool at the Ocho Rios Margaritaville was nothing to get excited about.Margaritaville-OchoRios-IMG_0447.JPG

I tried the waterslide, but it was too short and too slow to even try a second time.

Young kids loved it, though... and we enjoyed sitting at the beach for quite a few hours.

The ocean water was wonderfully warm.

Here's the problem at Margaritaville in Ocho Rios, and the reason that the cops had a presence there...

OchoRios-IMG_0459.JPG

See those five people at the property line, being watched over by the cop?

They're very aggressive vendors trying to sell stuff to the Margaritaville guests.

They're not allowed to cross the property line, and the cop makes sure they don't.

But nothing stops them from shouting at you all day long in an attempt to get you to come to them.

It was annoying. Bring noise cancelling headphones with you!

Grand Cayman

As our ship approached Grand Cayman, we saw another old friend anchored off shore: the Carnival Freedom. We did a really rare 12-day repositioning cruise on her in February, when Carnival moved her from Ft Lauderdale to her new home port of Galveston.

CarnivalFreedom-IMG_0493.JPG

The Carnival Freedom at sunrise, off the coast of Grand Cayman

In Grand Cayman, we made a rookie mistake. With as many Carnival cruises as we've taken, you'd think we would know better. We did something that usually only a first-time cruiser does: we failed to fully read our shore excursion ticket, and we ended up missing the excursion! The ticket had two times listed on it. At the top of the ticket, it said that our shore excursion was at 10 AM. But in smaller print, a few lines below that, it said to meet in the Ovation theater at 9:15 AM. We missed the part about being in the Ovation theater at 9:15, and by the time we figured it out... it was too late. Our tour group had left already. Rookie mistake!

As soon as we realized our mistake, we headed down to the Guest Services desk... where there was a huge line. Luckily, one of my favorite Carnival perks for being platinum in their loyalty program is that they have a dedicated help desk for platinum guests... so we got to skip the whole line and get immediate help. They confirmed that we had missed our excursion and that there was no way to catch it. But they were totally willing to refund the cost of the excursion and book us on another... which I thought was a pretty great deal since it had been our mistake and not theirs. So, we booked ourselves on to an excursion a little later in the day to the stingray sandbar on the other side of the island.

The stingray excursion is one of the coolest excursions you can do on a Caribbean cruise. We've actually done it twice before in Grand Cayman, and I had no problem with doing it a third time. It's that cool. From the cruise ship pier, you take a small bus to the other side of the island, and then you get on a boat that takes you out to the sandbar where the stingrays hang out... known as Stingray City. It's pretty darned cool to stand in water that is about 2 or 3 feet deep, and to have stingrays swimming all around you. You can see the joy in Kellyn's face...

StingRayCity-IMG_0580.JPG

You are totally free to touch the stingrays and don't worry, they won't hurt you unless you do something stupid.

Stingray-IMG_0565.JPG

Our excursion used a much cooler boat than many of the other boats that visited Stingray City that day.

Look at the boats in the previous two pictures, and compare them to the boat that we were on:

CaymanExplorer-IMG_0559.JPG

The big staircase at the back of our boat made it super easy to get in the water.

Even Kellyn, with a goofy bad foot, had no problem at all.

Although this next photo is a little out of focus, I got a laugh out of her reaction to this guide's offer for her to kiss the stingray!

Stingray-IMG_0546.JPG

Cozumel, Mexico

The final stop of our 14-day cruise was one of our favorite vacation destinations: Cozumel. I could go to Cozumel once a month for the next several years, and still not get bored with it. There's a lot of fun stuff to do there!

For this particular day in Cozumel, we decided to make a repeat visit to a place we've been to twice before. It's a shore excursion that is exclusive to Carnival, called La Casa En La Playa. Translated to English, that's the house at the beach. It's a little slice of paradise, as I think you'll see from the next few pictures!

LaCasaEnLaPlaya-IMG_0635.JPG

This is the kind of thing my Caribbean vacation fantasies are made of!

Here's why they call this excursion La Casa En La Playa...

LaCaseEnLaPlaya-IMG_0627.JPG

Under that thatched roof is the house at the beach. The guests stay out on the beach, under an umbrella, or under the shade of all those palm trees. Or, of course, the guests go play in the warm ocean water! Inside the house, there are bathrooms... and almost as importantly, there's a kitchen where they'll make you a delicious lunch!

LaCasaEnLaPlaya-Lunch-IMG_0645.JPG

Kellyn had Mexican-style chicken and a rum runner to drink.

I had chile relleno and a rum & coke.

Did I mention that it's an open bar?

And the wait staff quickly finds out what you like and keeps them coming as often as you like.

LaCasaEnLaPlaya-IMG_0640.JPG

There's also a massage tent, and several ladies standing by to give massages, for an extra fee.

Massage-IMG_0636.JPG

They also have a small reef just a few feet offshore, where you can go snorkeling and see quite a few fish. I got smart and charged my underwater camera the night before, and then was able to get this video of the fish I saw just a few feet offshore of La Casa En La Playa...

[YOUTUBE]tqKbsERaAuI[/YOUTUBE]

If you've got an upcoming Carnival cruise to Cozumel and you think you're interested in La Casa En La Playa, you need to know that this excursion books up months in advance. There's no way that you can wait until you get on board to book this one... it is limited to only 16 people, so it sells out months in advance of the cruise. Think ahead, and book early for this one!

One Show Not To Miss: Motor City

If you only go to see one show in the Ovation theater during your cruise on Carnival Breeze, make sure you see "Motor City". It's a show featuring lots of great Motown music... everything from Diana Ross to Michael Jackson. It's one of Carnival's "Playlist Productions" shows... which means you'll be treated to some really cool production effects thanks to the electronic screens that are all part of the set. I wish Carnival allowed people so shoot video during the shows, so I could show you how cool it is when all the colorful stuff you see in this next picture is in motion.

CarnivalBreeze-IMG_9238.JPG

In the still photo above, it just looks like a static set... colorful, but nothing that couldn't have been painted on to a backdrop 30 or 40 years ago. What the still picture doesn't reveal is that during the actual show, all those colorful items you see on the stage are moving, bouncing, gyrating, and dancing to the music! It's really FUN. If you're older than 30 years old and you haven't seen "Motor City" yet... do it, before Carnival moves on to something else!

I do have one little tip for you about Motor City... and that's not to miss the "pre-show". In the Fun Times newsletter, you'll see Motor City listed as starting at a certain time... let's say 8:15 PM. But what they don't bother to tell you, or they bury in a different part of the newsletter so you might not see it, is that there's a "pre-show" that starts 15 minutes earlier. So, if you waltz in to the theater at the last minute, thinking you're just in time for the 8:15 show, you'll find that the show is actually already in progress! They just call it the pre-show. Here's a few photos from the pre show...

PreShow-IMG_0427.JPG

A female volunteer from the audience is brought up on stage to be the star of the Motor City pre-show

PreShow-IMG_0436.JPG

Three male volunteers are brought up on stage, and outfitted with wigs during the pre-show

Internet Access

FunHub-IMG_0622.JPG

You can access the Internet from your own device, or use the "Fun Hub" computers available throughout the ship.

You may have heard that Carnival recently made some improvements to the Internet service that is provided on their ships. I'm happy to tell you that Carnival's Internet service really is a whole lot better than it used to be in the old days... and cheaper, too. Bravo to Carnival for realizing that in this day and age, having good Internet access while on a cruise is kind of a big deal for many of their passengers.

Carnival offers several different options for purchasing Internet access. First off, you don't have to pay by the minute anymore like you did in the old days. So, you're never rushing to quickly disconnect to save your minutes for later. Now you can either buy Internet access for an entire day, or for the entire cruise. Also, you can buy full Internet access or buy a very inexpensive plan that gives you access to only Facebook, Instagram, and What's App.

For the first of our back-to-back cruises, I purchased the most expensive Internet plan available. I figured that would allow me to see what the best case scenario was for Internet access. This set me back $99. The thing that totally surprised me about it -- something I've never experienced before on a Carnival cruise -- was that when the ship was docked in Miami, the Internet speeds were blazing fast. I did a quick test at Speedtest.net to see exactly what was going on, and the results clearly indicate that Carnival isn't using a satellite connection for Internet access when the ship is docked in Miami. When accessing the Internet on a cruise ship, via satellite, you typically get a ping test result of more than 600 milliseconds. But from my cabin on the Carnival Breeze, docked in Miami, I got a ping test result of just 9 milliseconds! That's BLAZING fast... like the kind of connection I would have at home, via cable modem. So, clearly, Carnival was either making some kind of wired connection in Miami, or using some other advanced connection technique (microwave?) rather than using the satellite system they use at sea. The two other important Speedtest metrics, upload and download speeds, were equally impressive: I measured download speeds as high as 8 mbps and upload speeds as high as 7 mbps. Of course, you can't expect a blazing fast connection like that when the ship is at sea! But it was impressive to see it when the ship was docked in Miami.

About an hour after the ship sailed out of Miami, I did another Speedtest and could tell immediately from the ping test that we were now using a satellite connection. The ping speed dropped down to 759 ms and the upload speed to .66 mbps. Surprisingly, though, I got a 10 mbps download speed.

I did quite a few other Speedtests during our cruise. Ping times were typically right around 700 ms every time I tested it, except for when we got back to Miami again. Download speeds were most often around 1 mbps... but went as high as 10 mbps on a couple of different occasions. Upload speeds were typically about .5 or .6 mbps. Now I know that doesn't sound particularly fast when you compare it to the kind of Speedtest results you would get at home. But the thing is, it worked reasonably well. Forgetting the numbers, and just sitting in front of my computer and going to various web sites, it really worked pretty well... especially compared to how bad Internet access used to be at sea just a few years ago. In the old days, there were times when trying to access the Internet was just an exercise in frustration and futility. But on the Carnival Breeze, it worked very consistently. There was never a point where I turned my computer off in frustration and had to come back later and try again. That used to happen a lot, back in the old days!

During the second leg of our back-to-back cruises, I thought it would be interesting to try the $60 "value" Internet access plan... and to see how it compared to the $99 "premium" plan I had used during the first week. The surprising result of my tests was that I could see no difference at all between the usability or the Speedtest results during the two weeks. The "value" plan seemed to work just as well as the more expensive "premium" plan... and the Speedtest results were all right in the same ballpark. The bottom line is that I won't be buying the premium plan in my future cruises with Carnival. I could detect no benefit to it whatsoever.

One last thing about Internet access:

If you want to experience the state-of-the-art in Internet connectivity at sea, you have to cruise on Royal Caribbean's newest ships, such as Allure Of The Seas or Anthem Of The Seas. They use

than Carnival does. Royal Caribbean uses the O3B Networks system of low-earth orbit satellites... and it provides a significantly better connection than you can get on Carnival. On Allure Of The Seas, I got a consistently fast Internet connection during the entire cruise, with a ping time of about 185 milliseconds, a download speed of about 4 Mbps, and an upload speed of about .9 Mbps. That's the fastest Internet connection I've ever experienced at sea.

An Odd Photo

Imagine me and Kellyn walking down a hallway, when she suddenly asks for the camera and demands that I pose for a picture.... and I say to her: "You want a picture of me in a hallway? Why not somewhere a little more interesting?"

Odd-IMG_9925.JPG

Carnival Cruise Sounds

Have some fun with these! Listen to the Carnival Cruise theme, or play the sound of a Carnival ship horn.

If you're a true cruise junkie, download the audio files (by right-clicking, and saving) and then set your computer to play the ship horn when you get a new email, and to play the theme song when the computer boots up and/or shuts down!

Our Previous Cruise on Carnival Breeze

CarnivalBreeze-IMG_1984.JPG

If you've enjoyed this cruise review and you'd like to see even more pictures of the Carnival Breeze, you might want to take a look at the review I wrote about our 2013 cruise on the Carnival Breeze. Compare the pictures in the two reviews and see if you think my photography skills have improved at all over the last two years!

Our Future Cruises

Perhaps you're wondering what we've got coming up.

Later this year, we'll be returning to Carnival for a "Mexican Riviera" cruise to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. That's on the Carnival Miracle... a ship we've never been on before. It's a sister ship to the Carnival Spirit, a ship we've sailed on four different times and which we liked a LOT. So, we're looking forward to that. At the conclusion of that cruise, we will have spent a total of 47 days on cruise ships in 2015... a record for us!

Given the current state of the stock market, where our cruise money is invested, I'm pretty sure we won't be beating that record in 2016. Although we do have some really cool cruises planned! In the first quarter, we'll be cruising on Norwegian Cruise Line's brand new ship, the Norwegian Escape... and to make it even better, we'll be staying in The Haven! We did a cruise in The Haven on Norwegian Getaway last year, and it was the best cruise of all the ones we've ever been on. So I'm REALLY excited about getting back in to The Haven on Norwegian Escape. I'd actually cruise on NCL a lot more often... except for the fact that they offer very little variety in their itineraries. If Norwegian Getaway or Norwegian Escape did some different itineraries from time to time, I'd surely cruise with them more often. But it's pretty much just the same ports over and over, every week. Boring. Carnival does a much better job of offering a variety of Caribbean itineraries. Nevertheless, I can't wait to experience Norwegian Escape in 2016! I have no doubt that it will be the most amazing cruise we've ever been on.

In the second quarter of 2016, we'll be cruising with Royal Caribbean on their newest ship: Anthem Of The Seas. That's the one you may have read about with the robotic bartender, the bumper cars, and the skydiving simulator. After a great cruise earlier this year on one of Royal Caribbean's older ships, I'm really curious to see how the next generation of RCCL ships strikes me.

You may be wondering when we'll be sailing on the brand new Carnival ship, the Carnival Vista. It will probably surprise you to learn that we don't have a cruise on the Vista booked at this time. I'm sure we'll eventually do so, I just don't know when that's going to be possible yet. I think those Havana staterooms at the back of the ship, with their own private pool area, look pretty cool! I hope they're not all booked up by the time I'm finally ready to book.

Packing List & To-Do List

Here's my official packing list.

Perhaps this will help you think of things to pack for your cruise.

On a few of the unusual items, I'll provide a link to the exact version I recommend at Amazon.com

Passports

Airline boarding pass

Cruise boarding pass

Luggage tags

If driving, printed directions to the hotel & cruise terminal

Wallet (I actually forgot this on one cruise!)

Swimsuit

Flip-flops

Waterproof beach shoes

Sunglasses

Underwear & socks (incredibly, I actually forgot to bring socks on one cruise)

One dressy outfit

Shirts

Pants

Shorts

Sweatshirt

Deodorant

Q-tips

Hair brush

Nail clippers

Razor

Medications

Toothbrush & toothpaste

Sun block

Hand lotion

Travel-size Kleenex for the airplane

Lint remover

Lawry's seasoning salt

Laptop computer or tablet computer, including charger

Digital SLR Camera

Waterproof camera

Camera tripod, or selfie-stick

Binoculars

Wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer

6-outlet power strip

MP3 player

Noise-cancelling headphones

Cell phone & charger

Waterproof wrist watch

Clothes hangers

My pre-cruise to-do list:

Stop newspaper and mail delivery

Book shore excursions

Send an email to family members with my travel plans & itinerary

Turn off water to the house to prevent the chance of a pipe break

Turn down (or turn off) the water heater to save energy

Make sure garden sprinklers are on

Make sure house is locked and alarm system is active

On the last day at work:

Update voice mail message to indicate my return date

Update out-of-office email message, and turn it on

Make sure my temporary replacement has an updated desk guide

Put a sign at my desk indicating my return date

What Camera Do I Use?

Whenever I post these cruise reviews, I always get questions about what camera I used to take the photos.

For everything except any underwater photography, the camera I use is a Canon EOS-70D digital SLR camera. That's probably too much camera for most people... so if you're in the market for a very high quality digital SLR camera, the one I actually recommend for most people is the Canon Digital Rebel T5i. If you get one, make sure you get the T5i with the 135mm lens, not the cheap version with the 55mm lens.

I also like to have a Canon EF-S 10-18mm lens with me when I'm on a cruise ship. This is a wide angle lens, which is extremely useful when trying to shoot in small spaces (for example, those pictures you saw inside the cabin and inside the bathroom) or when shooting something very large (like a cruise ship, when you're standing on the pier next to it.)

I also bring along a tripod with me, to allow me to shoot long-exposure shots in low-light situations. It's also handy to have for shooting "selfies". I've got a tripod that is just the right size to fit inside my big suitcase but which is heavy duty enough to be stable. It also has a fluid head, which is something that's very important to look for in a tripod if you intend to use it when shooting video.

One important technique that I use, since I'm looking to getting the highest quality photos possible, is to shoot in RAW format rather than JPG. This preserves the photos with the highest possible quality, and gives me the greatest ability to tweak them after shooting them. However, it does require a lot of extra work. Any photos which I want to share (via email, Facebook, or on this web site, for example) have to be converted from RAW to JPG. This takes some time and effort, but it's worth it to me in order to get the best end results. Just about all the photos you see on this page have been tweaked to some extent to give them the best finished look. For most photos, I do some sharpening and color correction. On some photos, I have to do even more tweaking than that to get them to look just right.

OK... that's all I have for you!

It's time for you to chime in with your questions and comments.

Sometime around the beginning of December, keep an eye out for my next review... which will be about the Carnival Miracle's 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

Thanks for reading this! I hope you enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for a great review and wonderful pictures and videos! I completely agree with your review of Run for Cover - they were a lot of fun to listen to. There were several nights I spent at Ocean Plaza listening to them. I liked a lot of the music entertainment generally - the Caribbean duo on Lido was good, as were the guitar players in Red Frog and the player in the piano bar. I'm not a fan of Playlist Productions, but there were plenty of other options available.