St Lucia's Local Opinion

Dex2015

Shame to miss out on what sets St Lucia apart, but if you just want a basic day, take a walk over to the Castries Craft and Food market for a browse and see all the wondeful fruits and veggies, meats and fish available on Island, all local. Crafts and souvenirs, plus a full spice market. Maybe followed by a walk over to Vigie Beach (20 minutes easy walk) for a swim and bite to eat or drink then back inboard. Or stay in Castries and take a walk over to the Cathedral, through Derek Wallcott Square then back to the ship..

Thanks much! That sounds about right for us. We did find THE Pink Plantation on Trip Advisor last night. We may cab up there for lunch, then come down to the marketplace for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an incredibly awesome string, with so much excellent info! We've been to St. Lucia several times, but I have learned so much more about seeing this island here. Especially appreciative of the local point of view;) and patience in answering all the questions. You rock! We'll be back in St. Lucia on March 23 for several days, staying (again) at Marigot Bay Beach Resort, and sailing on Island Windjammer's sailing tall ship Vela for a week, then back to St. Lucia for a few more days (again at Marigot BBR)...and this string has definitely helped!!

When IWJ had their ships based at Rodney Bay (they are now in Marigot Bay), we often stayed at the Bay Gardens Hotel which was wonderful and so tropical! It is part of the Bay Gardens Beach Resort, which has 3 sites, all close together: Bay Gardens Beach Resort, Bay Gardens Hotel (our fav) and the smallest: Bay Gardens Inn. Resort (quite large and on the water) is the priciest, inn has no restaurant (or didn't when last there several years ago) and very quiet. All have pools.

Hi Reedprincess. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer our questions so that we may best enjoy your island. This is one island that I have been wanting to go to more than any other. I want to make the most of my time there. I am looking at doing a private/custom tour with Cosol or the land and sea tour with Herods. But I know that when I have gone to other ports I have been able to get off the ship, find a driver/taxi waiting there and strike a deal with them for them to take us on an island tour for less than the tour companies charge. Might this be possible in St Lucia? Thanks!

You can easily either book a customized tour or hire a driver right at the port to take you to the places you want to see without the beach time. Prices will vary in length of trip, distance traveled, how many of you, etc. But for a private driver for the day, party of 4 or so, you can expect around $200 for the full day.

Enjoy.

Oops, please ignore my previous post. I see that you have already answered my question! That is significantly less expensive than what I was quoted for my party of 5 (2 of which are children). Thanks!

I would love to read all the postings, but I am getting ready to go to church.

I know Reedprincess does a wonderful job in giving suggestions, etc. This is just MY opinion. I wish I had know about Cosol the first time I went to St. Lucia. I was able (which I could go every year, coming from Missouri) to do it for the 2nd time a few years ago, through Cosol. Yes, it sounds very expensive, but for ALL the time of this tour, even more than planned, I would do it in a heartbeat. With everything we did (you can read a LOT about it on their website), plus eating, I would have been glad to pay more money, and we did tip at the end.

I would love to read all the postings, but I am getting ready to go to church.

I know Reedprincess does a wonderful job in giving suggestions, etc. This is just MY opinion. I wish I had know about Cosol the first time I went to St. Lucia. I was able (which I could go every year, coming from Missouri) to do it for the 2nd time a few years ago, through Cosol. Yes, it sounds very expensive, but for ALL the time of this tour, even more than planned, I would do it in a heartbeat. With everything we did (you can read a LOT about it on their website), plus eating, I would have been glad to pay more money, and we did tip at the end.

Sounds like you are right. After thinking about it, if I did a taxi tour then I'd still have to pay admission prices to the sites and buy lunch and drinks which will all add up. Plus I wouldn't be getting the knowledge of the company tour guides. We'll either do a Cosol custom tour or Herod's Land and Sea. I like the idea of Herods because the lunch looks delicious, speedboat portion looks fun and allows for more time at Jalousie, and it's only $45 for my 11 year old and my 4 year old is free. Decisions, decisions

Hello Everyone,

After going through this forum, I realized that many persons visiting St Lucia have many questions about the destination. My name is Dexter and I live in St Lucia about 15 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. I love the internet and I’m generally online so I thought I may offer anyone my local opinion on questions about St Lucia. Please note that I don’t work in the tourism industry so I may sometimes have to research certain questions you may have.

Feel free to ask any questions and Id be happy to respond!

Devoulty,

Dex

I think I read everything and I didn't see anything about "must buy" or "must eat". We have been to all the other islands on our cruise in March except yours. We are really looking forward to it. We like trying and buying something new. We had flying fish sandwiches in Barbados and they were great. We also like to buy things that are local. We bought MaDouDou flavored rum in St. Maarten and a hook bracelet in St. Croix. Do you have any recommendations for St. Lucia?

I think I read everything and I didn't see anything about "must buy" or "must eat". We have been to all the other islands on our cruise in March except yours. We are really looking forward to it. We like trying and buying something new. We had flying fish sandwiches in Barbados and they were great. We also like to buy things that are local. We bought MaDouDou flavored rum in St. Maarten and a hook bracelet in St. Croix. Do you have any recommendations for St. Lucia?

Banana Ketchup

Local hot sauce

Woven crafts

Calabash bowl

Spices

Rum

Cocoa sticks

Batik

Castries Craft market and grocery store just across from that.

To eat: curry goat or lamb, bakes, Dahl, any local meal with stewed been or chicken or turkey or lamb, rice. Ground provisions, salad, beans - delish. Green fig and salt fish salad (national dish). grilled fish and fries. And so on..

Enjoy.

Hi Reedprincess. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer our questions so that we may best enjoy your island. This is one island that I have been wanting to go to more than any other. I want to make the most of my time there. I am looking at doing a private/custom tour with Cosol or the land and sea tour with Herods. But I know that when I have gone to other ports I have been able to get off the ship, find a driver/taxi waiting there and strike a deal with them for them to take us on an island tour for less than the tour companies charge. Might this be possible in St Lucia? Thanks!

Yes, drivers are available at the pier to do a private torn. May end up costing more in the long run as you'd have entrance fees, food and drink, etc.

If choosing between land only or land and sea, I'd personally go with the land and sea as the coastal cruise part is so very stunning - you get the best of both rather than going back over the same ground on s land only tour.

Enjoy!

Yes, drivers are available at the pier to do a private torn. May end up costing more in the long run as you'd have entrance fees, food and drink, etc.

If choosing between land only or land and sea, I'd personally go with the land and sea as the coastal cruise part is so very stunning - you get the best of both rather than going back over the same ground on s land only tour.

Enjoy!

Thank you! This is helpful. I was thinking that the entrance fees would make it not worth our while to find a taxi. The food...we always try to find someone to take us to local places to get treats that most tourists don't try and usually this does not cost us much money. I would much rather have curried goat on the side of the road than a cheeseburger or fish taco at a sit down restaurant. Thanks so much for your response!

• 1 month later...
Hello Everyone,

After going through this forum, I realized that many persons visiting St Lucia have many questions about the destination. My name is Dexter and I live in St Lucia about 15 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. I love the internet and I’m generally online so I thought I may offer anyone my local opinion on questions about St Lucia. Please note that I don’t work in the tourism industry so I may sometimes have to research certain questions you may have.

Feel free to ask any questions and Id be happy to respond!

Devoulty,

Dex

Hi, our ship docks on Christmas Day. Do things close down at Christmas? Wonder if private tours will be available

Hi, our ship docks on Christmas Day. Do things close down at Christmas? Wonder if private tours will be available

Yes most of the country is closed on Christmas Day. The sites and such are mainly open, it's nature! Some private tour operators still run their tours while others take the day off, you'll just have to ask whichever one you're interested in.

• 1 month later...

On our last trip to St Lucia, we did the tour with Spencer Ambrose. It was wonderful. He is a very kind man. I would highly recommend his tour.

I thought Sugar beach was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen

When I go again,

I would like to go by boat to Sugar beach, swim, snorkel and have lunch there or somewhere else.

Do you have any suggestions of a tour company that would take a small group of us?

thank you

Nadine

On our last trip to St Lucia, we did the tour with Spencer Ambrose. It was wonderful. He is a very kind man. I would highly recommend his tour.

I thought Sugar beach was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen

When I go again,

I would like to go by boat to Sugar beach, swim, snorkel and have lunch there or somewhere else.

Do you have any suggestions of a tour company that would take a small group of us?

thank you

Nadine

Check Spencer again. He has the Beach Break tour which is speedboat both ways to Jalousie beach, lunch, drinks, etc. You get there early, so first pick of the free chairs if you like. Usually around 5 hours at the beach.

Enjoy.

One of my favorite things to do in port I to get a massage. Some ports have them available right at the beach. Any available that you know of? Or maybe a local resort?

Rodney Bay's Reduit Beach would be your stop. Bay Gardens Beach Resort has several beachfront massage tables and huts for massages, etc. Lunch and drinks available from several different beachfront restaurants,. Vendors with Chairs and umbrellas available.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you haven't already cruised, or found anyone, I would recommend Cosol Tours. They are TOPS in our book, especially for the price we paid. If you Google the tours, it will tell you "everything," along with food to eat as well. We tipped (did not have to) at the end, but we would have been glad to have paid $25 more, as it was such a wonderful tour. :)