No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

Several members (not only Sail) have mentioned how nice it is to have friendships with 0fficers and staff that have been developed through the years. People have mentioned that this is one reason that they feel that HAL feels like coming home--a chance to see old friends. I wonder if the officers had never been available to attend social functions and the only contact with officers and staff had been strictly official (and lets face it--in that case if you had to see a manager it would probably be because of a problem) if people would have that same warm fuzzy feeling about HAL.

People complaining in a social setting does not only happen at meet and greets--I have seen it happen at VIP parties.

I will say that on one of my first cruises I was walking early in the morning and was lucky enough to meet a young Capt Mercer. I was thrilled that the CAPTAIN would take a walk around the deck with me and chat. One thing that is pushing us to switch to Azamara is the way the officers are social (along with port times and the balcony issue).

Several members (not only Sail) have mentioned how nice it is to have friendships with 0fficers and staff that have been developed through the years. People have mentioned that this is one reason that they feel that HAL feels like coming home--a chance to see old friends. I wonder if the officers had never been available to attend social functions and the only contact with officers and staff had been strictly official (and lets face it--in that case if you had to see a manager it would probably be because of a problem) if people would have that same warm fuzzy feeling about HAL.s

People complaining in a social setting does not only happen at meet and greets--I have seen it happen at VIP parties.

I will say that on one of my first cruises I was walking early in the morning and was lucky enough to meet a young Capt Mercer. I was thrilled that the CAPTAIN would take a walk around the deck with me and chat. One thing that is pushing us to switch to Azamara is the way the officers are social (along with port times and the balcony issue).

While it may be true for some my warm fuzzy feeling does not come from seeing officers or mingling with them. I think the best turnout of officers I've ever seen was on the emerald princess in February. They stayed a good long time at the meet and greet and took time to engage everyone there and there must have been at least 50-60 people. I often saw the captain around the ship. I don't get the same warm fuzzies from princess.

Several members (not only Sail) have mentioned how nice it is to have friendships with 0fficers and staff that have been developed through the years. People have mentioned that this is one reason that they feel that HAL feels like coming home--a chance to see old friends. I wonder if the officers had never been available to attend social functions and the only contact with officers and staff had been strictly official (and lets face it--in that case if you had to see a manager it would probably be because of a problem) if people would have that same warm fuzzy feeling about HAL.

This is a good post, raising some interesting points.

On our very first cruise ever, I was sitting out on the deck waiting for my husband to return from the cabin with his camera. The Captain's wife, who was the Social Hostess (some time ago when we were younger!), came and sat down and started to talk to me. I was so blown away!!!! This was one of the many things that "made" HAL for us.

The "Welcome Aboard" seems sincere when you know some of the crew.

We still see many, many crew whom we know from past cruises, from the minute we step on board, so it is a homecoming. The Indonesian crew never let you down. With the Officers things are changing a lot