No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

I appreciate it that you took the time to detail your experience with this Captain Smith. Certainly not what we have experienced on HAL, or even close to it.

The question is: is this his personality shining through and this is how he, personally, does his job or is this an example of Azamara's training program and what it puts in the job description and is paying their Captains to do?

Looks to me like the former. I hope they keep him, because they have a winner there!

As a frequent Azamara cruiser then I can certainly agree with the comments about Captain Carl. He is an absolute star. However, it isn't just his personality that makes him so visible and friendly to the guests....it is the whole Azamara ethos of having the officers and crew interact with guests. Captain Johannes, Captain Jose and the new Captain Magnus all do the same. The HD's and CD's are around the ship talking to passengers all the time. They get to know us and if you do have a problem (very rare to have a problem on Azamara!) but if you do, then a quiet word with any of the senior crew will mean it's sorted out within the hour.

They are genuinely friendly, approachable and make an Azamara cruise very different from the normal cruise experience. We loved our one HAL cruise in July and would certainly go back to them, but Azamara is just the best.

May I point out the question mark I placed after most? I suggested it may or may not be most so perhaps we do agree. ;)

I have been a couple for 47 years. I know it's hard for some to understand but after having been with my late DH for all those years, time for adjustment, particularly now as a senior citizen, is not surprising to many (most ?) people.

What you point out some have done all of their adult life is not what I have done. I do not know what generation/age you are.

Choices, differences, personal preferences.

What is good for me may not be for you. I expressed my personal opinion as applies to me. You personal opinion as applies to you is, of course, equally as valid.

I took your question mark as asking a question and/or inviting discussion on the point, which is why I responded.

I understand our personal circumstances are different. But too often, one tends to assume that one's own viewpoint is the prevalent or most common one, so -- at least in my humble opinion -- it is good to hear from others that challenge our assumptions.

I believe cruise lines need to adapt to cruisers who are less interested in the standard large-group, guide-led tours. A lot of travelers who will begin retiring in the next 10 years are quite used to getting information on the internet and getting around on their own. Cruise lines need to figure out a way to tap into that mindset, if they want to continue to consider shore excursions as a revenue stream.

I took your question mark as asking a question and/or inviting discussion on the point, which is why I responded.

I understand our personal circumstances are different. But too often, one tends to assume that one's own viewpoint is the prevalent or most common one, so -- at least in my humble opinion -- it is good to hear from others that challenge our assumptions.

I believe cruise lines need to adapt to cruisers who are less interested in the standard large-group, guide-led tours. A lot of travelers who will begin retiring in the next 10 years are quite used to getting information on the internet and getting around on their own. Cruise lines need to figure out a way to tap into that mindset, if they want to continue to consider shore excursions as a revenue stream.

(bold is mine) I agree. But it won't happen quickly because the cruise lines don't control their excursions. They work with outside contractors. So first HAL has to want to change, and then they have to get their contractors to change. I would love to see more tours on the 20-person buses instead of the big coaches.

We had a fabulous tour in St Maarten through HAL. It was called "Art Around the Island," and we visited 5 artist studios on both sides of the island. It was limited to two 20-person buses, and they worked out the routes so that we were never in the same place at the same time. I'd like to see more tours handled that way. Fun, relaxing, and no hard sell!

As a frequent Azamara cruiser then I can certainly agree with the comments about Captain Carl. He is an absolute star. However, it isn't just his personality that makes him so visible and friendly to the guests....it is the whole Azamara ethos of having the officers and crew interact with guests. Captain Johannes, Captain Jose and the new Captain Magnus all do the same. The HD's and CD's are around the ship talking to passengers all the time. They get to know us and if you do have a problem (very rare to have a problem on Azamara!) but if you do, then a quiet word with any of the senior crew will mean it's sorted out within the hour.

They are genuinely friendly, approachable and make an Azamara cruise very different from the normal cruise experience. We loved our one HAL cruise in July and would certainly go back to them, but Azamara is just the best.

Thanks for the detailed info.

This sounds like a great cruise line. I am sure you have a wonderful time partly due to the attitude of the senior officers.

This is not a be-all but it really does add to the cruise experience. A few times on HAL we have experienced out-of -the-norm officers and I know it made our day and added hugely to the atmosphere of our cruise.

Do you think the Azamara experience is due to fewer pax?

Thanks for the detailed info.

This sounds like a great cruise line. I am sure you have a wonderful time partly due to the attitude of the senior officers.

This is not a be-all but it really does add to the cruise experience. A few times on HAL we have experienced out-of -the-norm officers and I know it made our day and added hugely to the atmosphere of our cruise.

Do you think the Azamara experience is due to fewer pax?

Possibly due to fewer pax SilvertoGold but I think more due to the Azamara training and general ethos. I have sailed on the small ships of Silversea, Princess and Oceania and none of them come close to the officer and crew interaction on Azamara.

I know many people don't think it's important but when you have experienced the genuine friendliness and willingness to please on an Azamara ship....well, no other cruiseline has that special extra feeling.

I understand your point of view, however, doubt the cruise lines will be sponsoring many small group excursions in the most traveled areas because of cost. When they can load 40 guests onto a coach with one driver and one guide, there is higher profits than 5 vans with 5 drivers and guides.

Everything a cruise line does comes down to money.

I understand your point of view, however, doubt the cruise lines will be sponsoring many small group excursions in the most traveled areas because of cost. When they can load 40 guests onto a coach with one driver and one guide, there is higher profits than 5 vans with 5 drivers and guides.

I agree money is the driver.

But the day will come when the cruise lines are unable to sell those 40-pax bus tours. If that is the only option on offer, they may lose that revenue stream altogether, as passengers will simply make other arrangements on their own.

Smaller tours at a higher price that provide a unique or smaller group experience (like the one Kathy mentioned above) might still be a selling point for some who would not consider the "big bus" tours.

But the day will come when the cruise lines are unable to sell those 40-pax bus tours. If that is the only option on offer, they may lose that revenue stream altogether, as passengers will simply make other arrangements on their own.

Smaller tours at a higher price that provide a unique or smaller group experience (like the one Kathy mentioned above) might still be a selling point for some who would not consider the "big bus" tours.

Precisely. Exclusivity ALWAYS drives prices up and there are always people willing to pay it.

Just look at the Haven on NCL (private almost EVERYTHING onboard depending on the ship), Neptune/Pinnacle Suites on HAL (Neptune and PG breakfast), etc...

It won't appeal to EVERYONE and that's precisely the point. It drives up the premium for those that are willing.

IMO, When/if it gets to that point, mass markets cruise ships/cruise lines will not look like anything those of us who have sailed for years will recognize. It will be end of cruising for many who will no longer accept the degradation of the product.

Not long ago, I had to take apart a relative's home where she had the souvenirs and memories of her life. Among the things I found were menus from a cruise she had taken with her DH on Rotterdam V when she was a relatively new ship. Though I knew the changes were great, if most of the mass market cruisers of today read those menus, they likely would not know what have the foods were. :D There were no chicken fingers or nachos. :D :D

While the changes are of different sorts since I started cruising over 20+ years ago, they still are quite remarkable. Some former HAL loyalist have left and either sail elsewhere or gave up on cruising.

[/b]

Edited by sail7seas

They are offering smaller group tours on our Westerdam cruise and we have booked some.

they are also offering them on our Oceania cruise but they were too late and we had private tours scheduled already.

Smaller tours are being done - just a few on the longer cruises and a small premium for them, but I will pay it and happily book.

A bus of 40, craning their heads out of a window while I am out of the van watching the action of the monkeys, etc in the trees- no thanks :)

And Sail,, HAL has long had the Secrets of the Vatican - it's a very small tour (private tour size) and VERY expensive. We booked it and did it as they guaranteed entry to the Vatican plus the private guide. It's been around for quite a long time - so yes, HAL does them and has.

It's a wonderful tour so I am hoping that going to the smaller ones will do the same thing - I'm certainly willing to try at least.

And at least that is one thing they are listening to one surveys it appears as I have consistently said I give it a shot if they were smaller. I am a person of my word ;)

Edited by kazu

Possibly due to fewer pax SilvertoGold but I think more due to the Azamara training and general ethos. I have sailed on the small ships of Silversea, Princess and Oceania and none of them come close to the officer and crew interaction on Azamara.

I know many people don't think it's important but when you have experienced the genuine friendliness and willingness to please on an Azamara ship....well, no other cruiseline has that special extra feeling.

I understand your point totally and agree that this can be important. It would be to me if I were to sail on Azamara. I note on their website there are photos of the senior officers with some of their scheduling. Goes to show a different attitude completely, as you note.

This is what I would love HAL to be like, but HAL is not in the same class as Azamara. HAL does pretty well in a lot of respects, unfortunately not in this one area, though.

I like to hear what is out there and appreciate your imput!

HAL is offering more and more private tours, fwiw.

I despite bus tours (mini or full). Private or through the cruise company. Boo!

Private tours are not bus tours ;) there are not 40 people on.

8 is the norm in Europe although we are doing 15 to go to Murcia. Still a nice number and a very congenial roll call :)

the private tour we did with HAL in Rome was just like a private tour. Far more than what was published and I gave it five stars in my reviews.

Considering my preference for private tours or diy and my disdain for being herded, that says a lot.

There are some places where you need private tours - the Vatican is one especially if you want to skip the lines and see places where the others can't go. It was an incredible experience.

Edited by kazu

The Cellar Masters have said the same thing to me in Europe. They are going around buying wines and when I asked why they don't offer them on the European sailings, they said that it was Seattle's orders - they would have happily loved to pick up wines like in the days gone by and offered them. and then I got "the look".

This reminds me that on my Azamara cruises, the head chef purchased fresh items in port and then cooked them on deck, at least once per cruise. We had some wonderful fish in Italy, for example, AND the officers and CD helped out with the service at the buffet.

P.S. To those solo cruisers on this thread, Azamara offers a lot of cruises at 125% for solos, which works out well in comparison to paying 200% on HAL. Gratuities, drinks (alcoholic and otherwise), laundry (free soap and machine usage), shuttles at ports, etc., included.

This reminds me that on my Azamara cruises, the head chef purchased fresh items in port and then cooked them on deck, at least once per cruise. We had some wonderful fish in Italy, for example, AND the officers and CD helped out with the service at the buffet.

Prinsendam does that often - at least on the cruises I have been on. All kinds of different bbq's and presentations on the Lido and not crowsed like the other larger HAL ships.

Purchasing local food is not an issue. Purchasing the wine is ;)

P.S. To those solo cruisers on this thread, Azamara offers a lot of cruises at 125% for solos, which works out well in comparison to paying 200% on HAL. Gratuities, drinks (alcoholic and otherwise), laundry (free soap and machine usage), shuttles at ports, etc., included.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't realized they had more solo-friendly pricing. (Oceania, which I would like to try, does not.)

I took a look at Azamara a few years back but at that time their itineraries did not excite me. It sounds like that has changed as well. For the better. ;)

Private tours are not bus tours ;) there are not 40 people on.

8 is the norm in Europe although we are doing 15 to go to Murcia. Still a nice number and a very congenial roll call :)

the private tour we did with HAL in Rome was just like a private tour. Far more than what was published and I gave it five stars in my reviews.

Considering my preference for private tours or diy and my disdain for being herded, that says a lot.

There are some places where you need private tours - the Vatican is one especially if you want to skip the lines and see places where the others can't go. It was an incredible experience.

Each time we toured the Vatican Museum And Sistine Chapel, we always had a private tour. I wouldn't dream of touring places of that sort without a private guide. But we didn't go with internet strangers/organized tour of strangers but rather with just DH and me or the times we went with one other couple with whom we had traveled to Europe and another time with two couples who were travel mates. We always did the same for St. Peter's. That suits my taste more but each to their own. I don't even look at the Roll Calls in terms of tours. When I read some comments here about people who only go there to get people to share their expenses, I groan. When I read a tour organizer has to instruct their 'members' proper manners for a M & G, I am not eager to join in. If the only reason they go to a Roll Call is to round up some people who will share their costs, No, thank you. :)

Of course the M&G is not the appropriate time to hound and cajole officers about hotel issues. They are not hotel managers and I don't blame them for not wanting to participate.

The M&G is a nicety provided by the cruise line to provide a time and space for online chatters to meet face to face. Nothing more or less really. If they did not provide a time nothing would prevent anyone with some initiative from setting one up anyway. The cruise line just helps out.

There is always an opportunity during a cruise to have as Q&A session with Captain and/or various department heads about their interests, shipboard life, ship functions, the inside scoop on new builds, etc.

So why is anyone upset that they are no longer at the M&G's? Didn't seem appropriate to me anyways. Maybe the HD or a CD to pop in and show their face and be hospitable.

Each time we toured the Vatican Museum And Sistine Chapel, we always had a private tour. I wouldn't dream of touring places of that sort without a private guide. But we didn't go with internet strangers/organized tour of strangers but rather with just DH and me or the times we went with one other couple with whom we had traveled to Europe and another time with two couples who were travel mates. We always did the same for St. Peter's. That suits my taste more but each to their own. I don't even look at the Roll Calls in terms of tours. When I read some comments here about people who only go there to get people to share their expenses, I groan. When I read a tour organizer has to instruct their 'members' proper manners for a M & G, I am not eager to join in. If the only reason they go to a Roll Call is to round up some people who will share their costs, No, thank you. :)

Oh my Sail,

my post was referencing a HAL tour. You are as much on one of those with strangers as on a private tour organized by a roll call.

I feel saddened that you do not use roll calls and your generalization of them. It looks like you are finding all the "bad" in roll calls and none of the good when you don't join up. If you are not on, then please don't assume.

Because I have joined roll calls, many of my private tours are NOT with strangers as I have had the good fortune to meet fantastic people and meet up with them again on other cruises.

And for those "I don't know", by the time we are ready to sail, between emails and the roll call you have a good "sense" of them and we are all looking forward to finally meeting in person.

DH and I used to do private tours with just the two of us. I am delighted I have discovered CC roll calls. We have made a lot of friends thanks to them and had fun on our tours.

Each to their own, I guess :)

Smooth seas :)

Judging by all the complaints lodged during the "Chatting with the Stripes" meet and greets, I can understand why the O's don't want to come around. :(

remember, like most reporting, only the bad is being reported.

I have hosted a multitude of meet and greets and there was never a complaint lodged in public ever.

Most of my meet and greets have had very large roll calls - 80 to 110.

Oh my Sail,

my post was referencing a HAL tour. You are as much on one of those with strangers as on a private tour organized by a roll call.

I feel saddened that you do not use roll calls and your generalization of them. It looks like you are finding all the "bad" in roll calls and none of the good when you don't join up. If you are not on, then please don't assume.

Because I have joined roll calls, many of my private tours are NOT with strangers as I have had the good fortune to meet fantastic people and meet up with them again on other cruises.

And for those "I don't know", by the time we are ready to sail, between emails and the roll call you have a good "sense" of them and we are all looking forward to finally meeting in person.

DH and I used to do private tours with just the two of us. I am delighted I have discovered CC roll calls. We have made a lot of friends thanks to them and had fun on our tours.

Each to their own, I guess :)

Smooth seas :)

I'm not assuming and because I no longer attend M&G's does not mean I never did.

I actually did participate in some years past and the experience was so unpleasant, I no longer even mention exact date I will be sailing what ship.

Too many of the participants turned it into a complaint fest and there was some very rude behavior.

Once, twice, and third time I'm finished. :)

In fairness and honesty, I will add we once were having breakfast in Pinnacle. We were seated beside a table for four where the guests were talking about a CC Meet and Greet they were attending later that morning. As they stood to leave after finishing their breakfast, I said hello to them, introduced my DH and myself and mentioned my posting name here on CC. They invited us to attend the M & G and I declined saying it would be nervy of me seeing I had never signed up or participated. This couple were the organizers and strongly encouraged us to attend. DH saw the sun was bright and headed to the pool and I went to the M&G. There was a very large crowd there and this couple did a great job. It was fun, nice people and they treated me extremely well as they did everyone attending. I appreciated their welcome, enjoyed myself but even still knew I would never sign up or participate in M & G.

Please don't assume I never personally experienced the negative side of them. I have done so. :(

What I was referencing by private tour was car and driver/guide for DH and myself or with our friends.

It just occurred to me what might also bother me about the M&G's is the tone of 'ownership' of "my" M & G. I hear a bit of control implied in that language. When one person appoints themselves as Organizer it becomes their M&G and implied with that are their rules. I'm too sure of what I like and how I like it to enjoy that circumstance..

Edited by sail7seas

>SNIP<

But we didn't go with internet strangers/organized tour of strangers

>SNIP<

>SNIP<

>SNIP<

Kazu I agree about getting to know people via the internet. I have some dear friends that I've only met virtually, through chat boards similar to CC. People I trust immensely, and who add a great deal to my life. My longest "virtual" friendship is nearly 20 years. Some are newer; all are valued enhancements to my life. Yes, I did make one error in judgment, but nothing that cost me any sleep, money or air in my tires. :D

Sail, I understand your concern about "strangers" but often, after a while spent getting to know each other via email, those strangers aren't strangers. They may not develop into lifelong friendships, but there is still a level of comfort there.

I have hosted many Roll Calls and no matter how many post on the Roll Call when we finally meet we are strangers. Thanks to Roll Call's and M&G's we have met some fantastic fellow cruisers and many have become permanent friends.

Many of those folks have been solo cruisers and it appeared they really enjoyed being a part of our cruise and friends.

Of course on a private tour with strangers there have been a couple of folks we have questioned but never did they ruin our private excursion.

Oh! By the way we still enjoy our Hal cruises and question all the recent displeasure and self appointed CEOs speculated comments.

Sure there are issues at times but unless you been there it sure beats getting your butt shot at or being shot down in combat. Maybe us Vets are more appreciative for the opportunity to cruise.

Let's put it in perspective if you enjoy cruising with Hal book it. If you don't go to the cruise line that will.

There has just been so much I'm a CEO armchair speculation/negativity lately from so many veteran CC members that I ask we get back to basics and have fun again and provide positive replies to fellow cruisers.

IMO our Hal officers have more important things to do like maintaining our safety than listening to whining CC members.

One more thing. It really doesn't matter how many post you have it's your contributions that count.

Could be my last post but really, what have we become and how can we become a better travel service vs social media need.

Chief