No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

I wouldn't think this is necessarily so. There's the question of pilot availability and harbor master control. If a departure is scheduled for a specific time, there would be traffic management and potentially waiting for the pilot. Not just like pulling out of a parking space.

They do it when they can. We've left port 15 minutes early. It's usually been when we're the only ship in port. But I remember it happening more than once on one cruise, because DH and I remarked on how impatient the captain must have been.

But HAL seems to be trying this route, and as you said, it's not possible.

By today's cruising standards, they are unique and should exploit that. Their ships aren't as small as the small ship, all-inclusive, luxury lines. And the ships aren't anything like the mega-ships with lots of dining options and many choices for entertainment.

Their niche could be all about the itinerary. And to support that, get some GOOD port lecturers. They could look at points in their Alaska itineraries where two ships are in port, and shuffle lecturers, maybe get some locals involved, who could go from A to B on one ship and B to A on another, with not too much time away from home. Don't get some university prof to lecture on Inuits. Get an Inuit to come and talk on board. Get a re-enactor to do a program on the gold rush.

The big ships sell the "ship experience." But HAL could sell the DESTINATION experience. I don't know if this would appeal to enough people, but at least it would make HAL different.

I know that some folks love these lecturers. It does nothing for me.

I find the comment that HAL wants to be something for everyone to be the biggest problem for many companies in many industries. Because what it means is that the company tries to homogenize its product and then become just another of the homogenous group. If it can homogenize better than the competition it wins but if not it can be a big loser.

GM in the 1980's homogenized its product lines, interchanging parts moving to almost all front wheel drive etc etc. They wanted to out Toyota Toyota but in the end only ended in bankruptcy.

There is a place for niche products even when price is not an issue. Not to turn this into a smoking thread but to give an example. Because HAL permits smoking on its balconies unlike every other mainline cruise ship, it is the only line that I can consider, My wife would consider a cruise on another line like being on a floating prison. If HAL followed the other Cruise Lines and disallowed smoking then I would give up on HAL. I do not think my wife is alone and this would affect the people who cruise. HAL would need to balance the loss of such passengers by adopting the homogenous policy of the mainstream cruise lines to what customers it might add. The same could be said for the wrap around promenade deck on the HAL ships, the dress code, the smaller passenger capacity of the ship. Of course the limitations resulting from these niches or quirks would alienate many people who might otherwise consider sailing on HAL. IE if I want to wear whatever whenever it would be alienated, if I wanted more balconies then the wraparound promenade deck would be a waste, if I wanted more entertainment options the limited number of passengers would be restricting.

Carnival needs to balance the value of adding niche customers to the value of being homogenous. Since it has the Carnival Line and the Princess lines for mainstream lines and Seabourne for high end line it is not as if those who are alienated from HAL are alienated from the Carnival product line. Chrysler sells Jeeps which are not high end nor low end product but are a niche product and for which Chrysler does get a higher sales value than perhaps its mechanical quality would say it should, just because it is unique. Perhaps Carnival needs to view HAL in that light.

Niche marketing is the trend for sure.

I was in the grocery business all my life and things sure have changed. It used to be that about all stores were about the same (physically) and offered pretty much the same items.

Now we have a multitude of store types catering to various demographic groups. Think Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joes, Wal-mart Supercenters, Aldi, etc. It has forced the conventional stores to rethink the way they compete.

Now that I am solo, I doubt I would join M&G tours. Just isn't something that appeals to me. I'll decide what will work best as I continue what travels I may choose to do. I don't want to be committed to booking with strangers I've not met and know nothing about. One can represent themselves to be anything they want on the internet. To plan in advance to spend considerable time with 'unknowns' is not for me but for those who are comfortable with it, all the more power to you.

Precisely! I'm solo and I can't think of a single word to add to that!

But HAL seems to be trying this route, and as you said, it's not possible.

By today's cruising standards, they are unique and should exploit that. Their ships aren't as small as the small ship, all-inclusive, luxury lines. And the ships aren't anything like the mega-ships with lots of dining options and many choices for entertainment.

Their niche could be all about the itinerary. And to support that, get some GOOD port lecturers. They could look at points in their Alaska itineraries where two ships are in port, and shuffle lecturers, maybe get some locals involved, who could go from A to B on one ship and B to A on another, with not too much time away from home. Don't get some university prof to lecture on Inuits. Get an Inuit to come and talk on board. Get a re-enactor to do a program on the gold rush.

The big ships sell the "ship experience." But HAL could sell the DESTINATION experience. I don't know if this would appeal to enough people, but at least it would make HAL different.

Having a good lecturer onboard makes a huge difference, and I so agree with your point about not just getting an educator. I've been lucky to be on a cruise with narrator (not sure of his real title) Kainoa(sp?) who is absolutely fascinating and very knowledgable. It makes a huge difference when you have a real understanding of the ports and areas you are visiting. And that is one of the things that has set HAL apart, I think.

Having a good lecturer onboard makes a huge difference, and I so agree with your point about not just getting an educator. I've been lucky to be on a cruise with narrator (not sure of his real title) Kainoa(sp?) who is absolutely fascinating and very knowledgable. It makes a huge difference when you have a real understanding of the ports and areas you are visiting. And that is one of the things that has set HAL apart, I think.

We really enjoyed Kainoa's talks on our Alaska cruise. He's knowledgeable and so willing to visit with passengers when he is at his desk. I don't think you necessarily need locals to give location talks, Kainoa is from Hawaii but gave valuable insight into Alaska. I'm sure he would be as informative about Mexico and other locations. Several years ago we had a great lecturer on the Panama Canal cruise.

HAL cruisers do show up for the locations lectures. Road Scholar is now scheduling cruises with HAL and while they have their own lecturers the travelers with Road Scholar are a well traveled group and will provide interesting conversation around the ship.

You neglect to consider the solo cruiser, especially a female solo cruiser who may not wish to trot all over major European cities on her own. Many (most ?) will want a tour in one form or another.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your "most" above. Perhaps "many" (for now) -- but as the cruising demographic changes (e.g., my age group cruises more often as they retire), I suspect you'll find many female solo cruisers comfortable seeing cities on their own. In my generation, many have traveled alone throughout their professional lives and, if single or divorced, have vacationed alone as well.

Sail, we haven't done a ship tour in ages. I understand DIY would not work for a solo traveler but I assure you private tour guides take the very best care of their customers.

Why not? I have been a DIY traveler for many years & plan to continue. I have met a number of other solo women travelers who do the same, several post prolifically on these boards and I've met a great number onboard ship that are not CC members...

I have taken and enjoyed some nice private group tours as well (no bad experiences -- except on ship tours) :cool: but my preference is usually to DIY whenever possible.

Interesting topic and comments. I just read an interview with Capt. Carl Smith of the Azamara Quest, who described his typical day as:

"Always busy. Meetings with my senior officers and getting out and about meeting the guests. I love talking and getting to know our guests. I want to be sure everyone is happy and everything is going A-Okay from every aspect onboard..."

This seems to be remarkably different from the atmosphere that HAL wants to create. HAL seems to want to prevent guests from having contact with the Captain and the officers. Comments that guests complain in M&Gs as the reason for the absence are very concerning. I would expect that an Officer that is well trained and experienced would be more than capable of handling such a situation. I would expect that an Officer would actually want to handle the situation.

When senior officers on a cruise ship demonstrate that guest interaction is to be avoided, then we have a clear signal that guest satisfaction is of little importance to that cruise line.

Agree!

Two things:

1. Be careful what you read in interviews: they could be considered advertising for the line

<snip>

I have sailed on Azamara with Captain Smith, and I assure you he walks the talk. He was the most visible, engaging, outgoing captain I have seen on a cruise ship. He would sit with passengers at lunch, stop and chat with folks in the coffee bar area, and provide interesting information about the ports while we were arriving or departing. And many of the officers attend the M&G.

Not something I've seen on HAL lately, if ever.

Y'all calling us passengers the "Cargo"

No what I'm suggesting is that passengers referring to staff as the hired help are leaving themselves open to be treated in a mutually disrespectful attitude.

The original statement supposedly refers back to a time of many different classes on board a ship and the upper crust reluctance to mingle with mere "help".

We've always enjoyed our time talking with different ship's employees and find their backgrounds very interesting.

However what I'm reading here is that the chasm between passengers and senior staff is widening.

I find the comment that HAL wants to be something for everyone to be the biggest problem for many companies in many industries. Because what it means is that the company tries to homogenize its product and then become just another of the homogenous group. If it can homogenize better than the competition it wins but if not it can be a big loser.

GM in the 1980's homogenized its product lines, interchanging parts moving to almost all front wheel drive etc etc. They wanted to out Toyota Toyota but in the end only ended in bankruptcy.

There is a place for niche products even when price is not an issue. Not to turn this into a smoking thread but to give an example. Because HAL permits smoking on its balconies unlike every other mainline cruise ship, it is the only line that I can consider, My wife would consider a cruise on another line like being on a floating prison. If HAL followed the other Cruise Lines and disallowed smoking then I would give up on HAL. I do not think my wife is alone and this would affect the people who cruise. HAL would need to balance the loss of such passengers by adopting the homogenous policy of the mainstream cruise lines to what customers it might add. The same could be said for the wrap around promenade deck on the HAL ships, the dress code, the smaller passenger capacity of the ship. Of course the limitations resulting from these niches or quirks would alienate many people who might otherwise consider sailing on HAL. IE if I want to wear whatever whenever it would be alienated, if I wanted more balconies then the wraparound promenade deck would be a waste, if I wanted more entertainment options the limited number of passengers would be restricting.

Carnival needs to balance the value of adding niche customers to the value of being homogenous. Since it has the Carnival Line and the Princess lines for mainstream lines and Seabourne for high end line it is not as if those who are alienated from HAL are alienated from the Carnival product line. Chrysler sells Jeeps which are not high end nor low end product but are a niche product and for which Chrysler does get a higher sales value than perhaps its mechanical quality would say it should, just because it is unique. Perhaps Carnival needs to view HAL in that light.

You're definitely on to something here... Let's take a quick glance at the industry and of course these are my own opinions but I don't think many will find me much if any off the mark. I will list a Carnival Corporation Brand and then what else in the industry seems to fill the same or a similar niche.

Carnival Cruise Line ..... Royal Caribbean (most) (Family friendly/Casual/Contemporary)

Princess ..... Royal Caribbean (some) ..... Disney (Family Friendly/less casual/contemporary)

Note: Norwegian I would place between or slightly higher than the above 2 categories

Costa ..... MSC (Italian market)

AIDA ..... Mein Schiff (German market)

Seabourn ..... Crystal ..... Regent (Luxury/Mostly inclusive)

fathom .... Including it but it isn't really comparable to anything else out there

Cunard ..... no real direct competition I can think of (British/Traditional)

P&O ..... again, no real direct competition I can think of (British/Contemporary)

P&O Australia ..... no real competition for an Australian BRAND although some lines have a few ships in Australia year-round

Holland America ..... Celebrity ..... Oceania ..... Azamara (Premium/Upper Premium)

Whether or not everyone feels the same way about the categorization it's clear that the premium/upper premium category is overloaded. 4 brands going for essentially the same clientele. Let's analyze them.

Azamara has a HUGE focus on destination and provides usually a couple of overnights on every single cruise. Someone else mentioned destination immersion and while Azamara is small with only 2 former R ships they do it very well and are soon gutting both ships and overhauling them entirely. The ships have a modern, luxurious look and I think it's going to go over VERY well once completed.

Oceania seems to have always walked the line between premium and luxury. There are a lot more inclusions, high-end finishes and affiliations within their brand. However they don't include SO much that they have to price at the luxury brand pricing. The obtained a ship from Princess and brought one off an extended charter. Combined with their two new ships they are offering more diversity than ever before.

Celebrity obviously has large ships. They range from about the size of the Vista Class ships to the guest count of Koningsdam but in a larger package. For quite a while they could be held side by side with the primary difference being "do you want traditional or modern?". As a travel agent I have often compared the two by saying "If given the choice would you stay at a Fairmont/Westin or a Hyatt/W style hotel?" There has been a large amount of innovation with the brand's Solstice Class ships that then led to modernizing the rest of their fleet to get all the ships on the same page.

And then we have HAL:

Up to this point all of the ships have been little more than larger versions of the previous classes with an additional deck or two or slightly newer configuration. Same pools and setups, same venues, same designs, same decor for the most part. When something comes out in a ship and gets retrofitted into the rest it's typically done in a way that seems very hasty and not well thought out. In many cases it then ends up being different than the original and in some cases also gets a new name. Also some ships will get new venues added but the don't go fleetwide and sometimes it's for no apparent reason.

Some examples:

MIX was added to S and R class but has not been added to Vista and Signature. It was also more or less a "rip-off" of Norwegian's Jewel Class and "Bar City" consisting of Maltings (Whiskey on NCL/Spirits and ALes on HAL), Shakers (Martinis for both) and Magnums (Champagne for both). Also both venues have a piano "on site". Yet HAL is not in direct competition with NCL so the move seemed odd and while I personally like it it's not something everyone has been a fan of.

Things like Showroom at Sea and "The Retreat" have been marketed as the best thing EVER and don't go fleetwide. Then Cabana decks are added to other ships, named "The Retreat" and then people get confused. Need we guess how many are disappointed because they didn't know WHICH "Retreat" their ship had? Then Nieuw Amsterdam gets "Cabana Club" which helps to clear up the confusion. Except Eurodam never gets renamed and when Noordam adds cabanas they are called "Retreat"... this is just a simple matter of signage and look at how much of a mess it is.

Canaletto went fleetwide and is a beautiful spot on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam that was purpose built that way. Yet on all the rest of the S, R and Vista ships there are obnoxious plexiglas partitions that go up to the ceiling and ruin the look of the rest of the buffet. Then on Prinsendam they build a beautiful space worthy of a specialty venue but decide to give it tables with the restaurant name painted right on the table tops like you would see in a mall food court.

Linens and the looks of rooms/bathrooms were updated on 5 ships via SOE 2.0. There were pictures and dates and specific times it would all be done. The other 3 ships in the R class just slowly got them at no particular times and I don't think all the bathrooms were changed over on those.

Lanai rooms were going to be on all SOE 2.0 ships and were added to Veendam then Rotterdam. Then they didn't add them to Statendam and Ryndam (did they think it was a bad idea?) and then decided to add them again onto Maasdam. Then they added them to Volendam for no apparent reason but didn't add them to Zaandam during her last dry dock. They also haven't and I doubt they ever would add them to Amsterdam and it's a non-issue with Vistas and Signature Class ships due to deck layout.

Westerdam has the Chocolate Seduction that no other ships have. Oosterdam and Zuiderdam have a theater that Westerdam and Noordam don't have. Noordam has a massive deck 3 Explorations Cafe but the other 3 got more shops. Noordam kept the oak room the other 3 ships eliminated. HAL has a huge partership with Microsoft for the Digital Workshops but for a long time refused to list it on the deck plans. Pinnacle Bar on the Vistas is classic looking (Noordam), hip/funky/MIX-esque in decor (Zuiderdam and Oosterdam) or an afterthought with furniture from another venue entirely when they set it up (Westerdam) and looked like a lego set on Eurodam when coming out of the yard. Onboard revenue is always a concern so the ships can pull a decent ROI yet R Class has a HUGE unused space on the top deck of the atrium for no apparent reason (and is now a good time to ask what the heck the lights in the middle of the floor on the atrium top deck are all about on the R class?)

Then there's the fact they went MONTHS without a peep about their new ship...

There's so much inconsistency that even if they were having a bit of an identity crisis you can't even look at HAL's fleet compared to itself and see what it is attempting to be and yet they market themselves as premium while charging Carnival prices (anyone seen this new promotion "Get up and Go"?)

There's little doubt that HAL will always be my favorite line regardless of all of this... but seriously... in a lot of cases it's hard to say anything other than "What the hell?"

I have only taken one cruise and although I stayed in a Neptune suite, my wife and I did not attend any of the special officer meetings offered as a perk of the booking. But for those who like to meet the Officers, I think it is great and if it makes for a better cruise experience for them, I think it would be good for HA to keep the tradition alive just to keep the customer coming back.

My question is why in a roll call meeting of cruise critic members is it bad form to discuss openings for private tours? It would seem to me, as the uninitiated, that such a meeting early on in a cruise would be the ideal time to get the person who might be interested in such a tour matched up with other people who are interested in the tour. I would think it would be very difficult to create such a match up on shipboard at any other event. In fact at that time the people could see if they want to spend 5 hours with these other people on a tour.

Of all the things that might be discussed at a meeting with a bunch of relative strangers, this might be a real ice breaker as it should match people with the same interests and perhaps the same reasons for taking that particular cruise.

So my question. Why is the discussion of private tours at the M&G such a social breech of etiquette?

Hal is supplying the space for the meeting. Hal also sells tours. To me it's a bit of a smack in the face and poor form to discuss private tours. If no officers are there that is a different story.

Completely agree with Cruz Chic, who I believe also said, it's like bringing your own beer to a bar !:) LaffNVegas who personally knows many ships Officers also explained the reason in her posts above..

IMO it is discourteous to discuss a private tour in front of an Officer.. When I've organized Meet & Greets, like Kazu, I have always asked that participants refrain from discussing private tours or voicing complaints..

This what I post on the roll call :

Quote “I also have a personal request, only because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception & was posted on Cruise Critic years ago....

" This is a Social Occasion only for us to get to know each other, as well as the Ship's Officers.. On board problems or complaints should be addressed in private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this get together..” Unquote

In addition, I also add another note on our Roll Call thread:

Quote "Since much of HAL’s revenue comes from Hal sponsored tours that are sold on the ship, discussions of Private Tours you have booked when HAL Officers are present is discourteous & should be done discretely, after the HAL hosted M & G is over..” Unquote

We've since, had many successful M & G's with Officers present...No one has ever embarrassed the Organizer after they were reminded about their Manners... :)

Edited by serendipity1499

Amen, Sister. Also, the HAL tours offer more options if one suddenly finds that it is much more strenuous that advertised.

Susan

No what I'm suggesting is that passengers referring to staff as the hired help are leaving themselves open to be treated in a mutually disrespectful attitude.

The original statement supposedly refers back to a time of many different classes on board a ship and the upper crust reluctance to mingle with mere "help".

We've always enjoyed our time talking with different ship's employees and find their backgrounds very interesting.

However what I'm reading here is that the chasm between passengers and senior staff is widening.

I guess you did not see my smiley face after my statement; we do not mingle with the hired help. It's a joke I heard a comedy say on a ship over 20 years ago!

As far as different classes back in time; a few years ago I was approached by a passenger at a VIP Suites Party who said it was great to have this party for Suites Only passengers so we do not have to be with those other people. I was in Cabin 776, inside, bottom deck. I said I was one of those other people.

I too enjoy talking with ship's staff but meeting officers except one's I personally know doesn't float my boat.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your "most" above. Perhaps "many" (for now) -- but as the cruising demographic changes (e.g., my age group cruises more often as they retire), I suspect you'll find many female solo cruisers comfortable seeing cities on their own. In my generation, many have traveled alone throughout their professional lives and, if single or divorced, have vacationed alone as well.

Thanks for saying this. I agree totally. Of course some women do not want to travel alone, but many do (including me!) and handle booking cruises, excursions, whatever, just fine.

Will I be traveling by myself to Syria anytime soon? Of course not. ;) But much of the world is perfectly safe for the solo female traveler, who can see what she wants for as long as she wants without having to be tied to a group of people, whether from a roll call or random ship's passengers.

May I point out the question mark I placed after most? I suggested it may or may not be most so perhaps we do agree. ;)

I have been a couple for 47 years. I know it's hard for some to understand but after having been with my late DH for all those years, time for adjustment, particularly now as a senior citizen, is not surprising to many (most ?) people.

What you point out some have done all of their adult life is not what I have done. I do not know what generation/age you are.

Why not? I have been a DIY traveler for many years & plan to continue. I have met a number of other solo women travelers who do the same, several post prolifically on these boards and I've met a great number onboard ship that are not CC members...

I have taken and enjoyed some nice private group tours as well (no bad experiences -- except on ship tours) :cool: but my preference is usually to DIY whenever possible.

Choices, differences, personal preferences.

What is good for me may not be for you. I expressed my personal opinion as applies to me. You personal opinion as applies to you is, of course, equally as valid.

Edited by sail7seas

I find this topic very interesting because I was toying with the idea of cruising with HAL again for the first time since 2008.

I'm a regular over on the Celebrity threads where I have kept a list of senior officers for years now.

Staff interaction is much more significant on Celebrity ships and officers regularly interact with passengers.

Recently a female captain was appointed to one of the ships. The following is a video released today to introduce some changes in an upcoming renovation.

Captain Kate and captain Nikolaos Frantzis;

I have sailed on Azamara with Captain Smith, and I assure you he walks the talk. He was the most visible, engaging, outgoing captain I have seen on a cruise ship. He would sit with passengers at lunch, stop and chat with folks in the coffee bar area, and provide interesting information about the ports while we were arriving or departing. And many of the officers attend the M&G.

Not something I've seen on HAL lately, if ever.

I appreciate it that you took the time to detail your experience with this Captain Smith. Certainly not what we have experienced on HAL, or even close to it.

The question is: is this his personality shining through and this is how he, personally, does his job or is this an example of Azamara's training program and what it puts in the job description and is paying their Captains to do?

Looks to me like the former. I hope they keep him, because they have a winner there!

Completely agree with Cruz Chic, who I believe also said, it's like bringing your own beer to a bar !:) LaffNVegas who personally knows many ships Officers also explained the reason in her posts above..

IMO it is discourteous to discuss a private tour in front of an Officer.. When I've organized Meet & Greets, like Kazu, I have always asked that participants refrain from discussing private tours or voicing complaints..

This what I post on the roll call :

Quote “I also have a personal request, only because of an incident which occurred on another cruise during a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet Reception & was posted on Cruise Critic years ago....

" This is a Social Occasion only for us to get to know each other, as well as the Ship's Officers.. On board problems or complaints should be addressed in private with the appropriate Department Head & not at this get together..” Unquote

In addition, I also add another note on our Roll Call thread:

Quote "Since much of HAL’s revenue comes from Hal sponsored tours that are sold on the ship, discussions of Private Tours you have booked when HAL Officers are present is discourteous & should be done discretely, after the HAL hosted M & G is over..” Unquote

We've since, had many successful M & G's with Officers present...No one has ever embarrassed the Organizer after they were reminded about their Manners... :)

I was not questioning the right of the organizer to set the limits of their meetings. And I would expect anyone who attends the meeting to act within the limits that were set. That would be basic etiquette. My question was why this particular limit was set and this was subsequently explained.

I am not sure I fully agree with the logic for setting this limit but it does have some reason for being which is all I was asking.

I would suggest that to be a very good and polite passenger under the logic proposed, that a passenger would not take their own bottle of wine to dinner as it would be offensive to the ship's restaurant manager who probably makes a commission on the wine sold in the restaurant. Even if there is an uncorking fee it would probably be less than the profit made on selling the HAL wine. In fact my guess is that liquor sales on board a ship add more to the bottom line than the excursions. I know all wines are not the same but then again all excursions are not the same.

Please do not presume I am being personal and accusing you of doing this at the ship's restaurants (and I do not even drink wine) but rather I have read numerous posts where this is done and have not encountered any etiquette arguments against doing so.

I guess learning etiquette is like learning a foreign language; the rules are not always rational but to not follow them is embarrass yourself.

The etiquette discussions continue which is fine but officers will not be attending any more meet and greets. Officers did not always attend meet and greets and in those instances employees of the cruise line had no idea or concern about what was being discussed.

Passengers are not responsible for the cruise line profit margin. A business sinks or swims on its own merits and perceived quality. If someone wants to purchase a nice wine off the ship and pay a corkage fee it is not an etiquette violation.

Edited by sammiedawg

A business sinks or swims on its own merits and perceived quality. If someone wants to purchase a nice wine off the ship and pay a corkage fee it is not an etiquette violation.

What if the company's personnel itself does not perceive quality in what they are offering? We have been witness twice to one of HAL's most respected and loved Hotel Managers at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale with a full shopping cart of wine. I don't imagine he was replenishing HAL's stock. :rolleyes: He was not shy at all to stop and talk to us about the merits of Total Wine. On one of these occasions, we boarded his ship later in the day and later in the cruise were invited to lunch with him after the Mariners' Medal Ceremony and we just looked at each other and winked when wine was served. :D

Edited by taxmantoo

May I point out the question mark I placed after most? I suggested it may or may not be most so perhaps we do agree. ;)

I have been a couple for 47 years. I know it's hard for some to understand but after having been with my late DH for all those years, time for adjustment, particularly now as a senior citizen, is not surprising to many (most ?) people.

What you point out some have done all of their adult life is not what I have done. I do not know what generation/age you are.

Choices, differences, personal preferences.

What is good for me may not be for you. I expressed my personal opinion as applies to me. You personal opinion as applies to you is, of course, equally as valid.

One of the things I like about cruising... options. So far I've cruised with my husband and sometimes friends, and when we come to a port we are able to go in as many directions as we want. Or stay put.

IntheWaSide...

Agree with your cruise line assessment completely.

Our feeling is that because HAL does not know want it wants to be when it grows up so they simply degrade and dilute the product.

HAL reminds me of a company thrashing around trying to raise revenue to meet targets without have any notion of a long term strategy. And it shows. We like HAL..but less and less as time passes. Other cruise labels seem to change and improve their product to meet changing customer demands, market trends.

We might not like the trends on some other cruise lines but at least we know what they are and what to expect. From the words of an old movie, HAL is like a box of chocolates inasmuch as you never quite know what you will get.

It is that inconsistency that sometimes pushes HAL from our short list.

What if the company's personnel itself does not perceive quality in what they are offering? We have been witness twice to one of HAL's most respected and loved Hotel Managers at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale with a full shopping cart of wine. I don't imagine he was replenishing HAL's stock. :rolleyes: He was not shy at all to stop and talk to us about the merits of Total Wine. On one of these occasions, we boarded his ship later in the day and later in the cruise were invited to lunch with him after the Mariners' Medal Ceremony and we just looked at each other and winked when wine was served. :D

The Cellar Masters have said the same thing to me in Europe. They are going around buying wines and when I asked why they don't offer them on the European sailings, they said that it was Seattle's orders - they would have happily loved to pick up wines like in the days gone by and offered them. and then I got "the look".

Total Wine is a candy store to me. In the boondogs with limited choices, Total Wine is just a dream land. We have gotten quicker at making choices though since I discovered their on line site ;)

I find myself wondering if this is why one of our favourite Cellar Masters have left HAl (or so I was told). Perhaps he was mingling with the passengers too much and knew this directive was coming down?

Everyone remember the captain's welcome aboard and farewell parties? Well they went away as the passenger load increased. The poor captain would never be able to shake all those hands.

High-quality food and varied menus? Another victim of passenger loads.

An extra restaurant that only required a reservation and not a fee? Well when you can't fit passengers into two seatings and newer cruisers don't want fixed seating, there is money to be made.

Many likely don't realize HAL invented the Lido Restaurant concept. Why? Because all ships in the early 1970s required you to dress (no shorts or T-shirts) for breakfast and lunch. A bit of a pain in the neck when cruising warmer climates and everyone was at the pool.

It didn't take long for other lines to notice.

What has HAL invented lately?

It's ships are a mish-mosh of old and new concepts that were a reaction to the industry while holding on to traditions that just don't fit the mass market.

I live near NYC. I see RCI commercials. I see Carnival commercials. I haven't seen a HAL commercial in years, yet they once were one of the most successful lines to sail out of NYC.