No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

colour me confused:confused:

I didn't see bashing of HAL. I saw people reporting bad behaviour of others which helps to explain things and some concern.

There's a big difference IMO.

There were comments, including mine, about the decline of quality onboard, particularly ship maintenance, which is the root cause of the complaints. It is a reasonable expectation to have working AC, plumbing and a well maintained ship. We've experienced non working mechanicals and maintenance issues on more than one cruise. We have not complained or discussed our issues onboard with anyone but the front desk and our room steward. We've certainly complained on post cruise surveys.

We don't care one whit whether officers attend meet and greets and have never been to one attended by officers. We don't care if the embarkation lunch goes away, we don't attend. Weve been to a few mariner luncheons, it was the standard lunch with a glass of champagne, nothing special.

CaveDiving, I am happy that all your cruises have gone well but I assure you the ship maintenance issues are very real.

Never understood the attraction of meeting the ship's officers. Means zero to us. No more than meeting senior managers at a resort, in a hotel, or the pilot/co-pilot on a plane.

We would never, ever consider voicing a complaint to a senior officer in a public forum. Not the best way to get an issue resolved.

I sympathize with you. My wife and I both worked for AT&T. Between local, long distance, cellular, and Internet - there were people constantly haranguing us about something or other. We finally decided the best way to deal with the problem was to lie. If you were to ask us what we did, the answer was, "We design, manufacture, and sell custom imprinted urinal cakes." Never really had any follow up questions after that. :D

That's priceless! Airline pilots have the same problem. So two of my friends solved it as follows:

One of them flies 747s. They have 18 tires. When asked what he does he says with a straight face, "I drive an 18-wheeler".

The other flies widebodies but generally not 747s. The widebodies are referred to as "heavies" by the air-traffic controllers. So that friend (also with a straight face) replies when asked, "I'm a heavy-equipment operator".

Sorry for the thread drift, but I didn't really start it :):):).

colour me confused:confused:

I didn't see bashing of HAL. I saw people reporting bad behaviour of others which helps to explain things and some concern.

There's a big difference IMO.

There are several posts implying the officers don't want to meet with passengers because of poor ship maintenance.

Never understood the attraction of meeting the ship's officers. Means zero to us. No more than meeting senior managers at a resort, in a hotel, or the pilot/co-pilot on a plane.

We would never, ever consider voicing a complaint to a senior officer in a public forum. Not the best way to get an issue resolved.

IMO you are spot on, especially the highlighted sentences. Based on what I have observed/experienced here on CC, I am not surprised that the Ships Officers have (apparently) been sufficiently turned off by the bad manners, incivility and out-and-out boorishness of some passengers that they choose not to attend the M&Gs - no one in his/her right mind would intentionally place himself/herself in situations where he/she is likely to be berated and harangued about matters over which he/she has no control. There is a time and place for voicing complaints, but a M&G is no one of them!!!

I have only taken one cruise and although I stayed in a Neptune suite, my wife and I did not attend any of the special officer meetings offered as a perk of the booking. But for those who like to meet the Officers, I think it is great and if it makes for a better cruise experience for them, I think it would be good for HA to keep the tradition alive just to keep the customer coming back.

My question is why in a roll call meeting of cruise critic members is it bad form to discuss openings for private tours? It would seem to me, as the uninitiated, that such a meeting early on in a cruise would be the ideal time to get the person who might be interested in such a tour matched up with other people who are interested in the tour. I would think it would be very difficult to create such a match up on shipboard at any other event. In fact at that time the people could see if they want to spend 5 hours with these other people on a tour.

Of all the things that might be discussed at a meeting with a bunch of relative strangers, this might be a real ice breaker as it should match people with the same interests and perhaps the same reasons for taking that particular cruise.

So my question. Why is the discussion of private tours at the M&G such a social breech of etiquette?

I, for one, am extremely troubled in reading this thread. I have read about more disdain, complaining, and general bashing of Hal then I have elsewhere in a long time. And IMHO much, if not most of it, is unwarranted.

I have found HAL to be a quite enjoyable line to cruise, the ships reasonably maintained, the food just fine and the entertainment, OK, interesting but not to my personal utmost enjoyment.

I have found all of the officers friendly and interesting to converse with. I have seen no “avoiding” of passengers by any of the crew. I also have not experienced any inappropriate conversation subjects (i.e. complaints) mentioned on our meals with the senior officers on virtually every cruise.

It is hard for me to get my arms around people who obviously feel strongly that things are not going well, but who keep taking advantage of the opportunity to cruise on HAL I guess it’s just that some people simply enjoy complaining.

Off my soapbox now.

Scott & Karen

Thanks for your soapbox comments. I take these comments seriously.

I agree with your second paragraph completely.

As to you third paragraph: as a President's Club member you are treated with kid gloves and then some. This could possibly be why you "have seen no avoiding of pax...", etc.

It does happen, for whatever reason.

I have only taken one cruise and although I stayed in a Neptune suite, my wife and I did not attend any of the special officer meetings offered as a perk of the booking. But for those who like to meet the Officers, I think it is great and if it makes for a better cruise experience for them, I think it would be good for HA to keep the tradition alive just to keep the customer coming back.

My question is why in a roll call meeting of cruise critic members is it bad form to discuss openings for private tours? It would seem to me, as the uninitiated, that such a meeting early on in a cruise would be the ideal time to get the person who might be interested in such a tour matched up with other people who are interested in the tour. I would think it would be very difficult to create such a match up on shipboard at any other event. In fact at that time the people could see if they want to spend 5 hours with these other people on a tour.

Of all the things that might be discussed at a meeting with a bunch of relative strangers, this might be a real ice breaker as it should match people with the same interests and perhaps the same reasons for taking that particular cruise.

So my question. Why is the discussion of private tours at the M&G such a social breech of etiquette?

Officers have never attended any of the meet and greets I have been to. They won't be attending in the future so I don't see any issues with discussing private tours at the meet and greet. Many of us attend the meet and greets to meet the others signed up for a private tour. I notice most people leave once they've met their tour mates.

HAL has a rather provincial culture, in the old days everyone took ship tours. This custom has evolved on all cruise lines with large numbers of passengers touring DIY or with roll call organized private tours.

Other cruise lines are more open and progressive, much less provincial and actually assist passengers touring privately. Concierges even help rescheduling the private tours if port times change. Concierges will make DIY plans for you, schedule ticket times and map out your route.

We were recently on a twenty day Oceania cruise with many schedule changes due to weather, icebergs and a sick passenger. The concierge rearranged dates, times for the private tours and then sent messages to our cabins with the updated dates and times. One port changed twice and the concierge called the private guide twice on our behalf.

Hal is supplying the space for the meeting. Hal also sells tours. To me it's a bit of a smack in the face and poor form to discuss private tours. If no officers are there that is a different story.

Hal is supplying the space for the meeting. Hal also sells tours. To me it's a bit of a smack in the face and poor form to discuss private tours. If no officers are there that is a different story.

I agree 100% - discussing the private tours at a HAL-supported event would be sort of like bringing your own beer to a bar, I guess.

Officers have never attended any of the meet and greets I have been to. They won't be attending in the future so I don't see any issues with discussing private tours at the meet and greet. Many of us attend the meet and greets to meet the others signed up for a private tour. I notice most people leave once they've met their tour mates.

HAL has a rather provincial culture, in the old days everyone took ship tours. This custom has evolved on all cruise lines with large numbers of passengers touring DIY or with roll call organized private tours.

Other cruise lines are more open and progressive, much less provincial and actually assist passengers touring privately. Concierges even help rescheduling the private tours if port times change. Concierges will make DIY plans for you, schedule ticket times and map out your route.

We were recently on a twenty day Oceania cruise with many schedule changes due to weather, icebergs and a sick passenger. The concierge rearranged dates, times for the private tours and then sent messages to our cabins with the updated dates and times. One port changed twice and the concierge called the private guide twice on our behalf.

Always amazing to see experiences can differ. I've been to a number of meet and greets, large roll calls, good attendance and people stay for the whole thing. Maybe it's because we are glad to finally "meet" the people we have gotten to "know" on the roll call? Not sure. But no one leaves.

I don't expect anyone to leave at my O meet and greet either.

Rather than wait for the meet and greet, we are getting together at sail a way so that we can meet everyone - including those we are on private tours with.

Exactly! There is a time and a place for everything. Most private tours are well organized in advance between emails from the organizer to the group and the roll calls. There really should be no need to discuss them in front of officers or staff. Normally, I ask the organizers to stay behind after the meet and greet so that those with questions and wanting to meet each other can do so. Pretty simple and it seems to work.

That's priceless! Airline pilots have the same problem. So two of my friends solved it as follows:

One of them flies 747s. They have 18 tires. When asked what he does he says with a straight face, "I drive an 18-wheeler".

The other flies widebodies but generally not 747s. The widebodies are referred to as "heavies" by the air-traffic controllers. So that friend (also with a straight face) replies when asked, "I'm a heavy-equipment operator".

Sorry for the thread drift, but I didn't really start it :):):).

FABULOUS....... Great post. Thanks for sharing.

No matter where you meet, or when, HAL is "supplying the space" aren't they? (hard to meet off ship when you're underway).

No matter where you meet, or when, HAL is "supplying the space" aren't they? (hard to meet off ship when you're underway).

Are the officers with you everywhere? That is the difference. As I said in my post above its a problem if the officers are there. You failed to acknowledge that part and that is the key.

Yes.

There is nothing unique about Holland America "supplying a space" for a meet and greet,. The last couple HAL ones I attended were one of several groups meeting in the Crows nest. The last one had a big Veterans gathering and third group in the same room. We found our tour mates and they left before we did.

If officers are not there we should be able to talk about whatever we want, including private tours. Private touring is not exactly revolutionary.

Edited by sammiedawg

Yes.

There is nothing unique about Holland America "supplying a space" for a meet and greet,. The last couple HAL ones I attended were one of several groups meeting in the Crows nest. The last one had a big Veterans gathering and third group in the same room. We found our tour mates and they left before we did.

If officers are not there we should be able to talk about whatever we want, including private tours. Private touring is not exactly revolutionary.

Yes, you can talk about whatever you like but should you? Manners come into play for most folks.

Yes, you can talk about whatever you like but should you? Manners come into play for most folks.

What manners apply when no officers are present? No one but passengers will be there, officers will not be attending any meet and greets. I've never had an officer at any HAL meet and greet. I don't recall any HAL employees being involved in any way except for two cruises ago. We were to meet at Mix at 11am, someone came a couple minutes to 11and told us to move to the Crows nest because they were going to clean. We went to the Crows nest and said hello.

Edited by sammiedawg

What manners apply when no officers are present? No one but passengers will be there, officers will not be attending any meet and greets. I've never had an officer at any HAL meet and greet. I don't recall any HAL employees being involved in any way except for two cruises ago. We were to meet at Mix at 11am, someone came a couple minutes to 11and told us to move to the Crows nest because they were going to clean. We went to the Crows nest and said hello.

I was speaking of when officers are present. I've said that at least two times previously :confused:. No one would care otherwise. I can't recall a time when there wasn't an officer for at least a little part of the meet and greets that I've been to.

I was speaking of when officers are present. I've said that at least two times previously :confused:. No one would care otherwise. I can't recall a time when there wasn't an officer for at least a little part of the meet and greets that I've been to.

OK, I agree if officers are there private tours should not be discussed but they will not be there going forward. This thread is all about officers no longer attending. They don't want to attend as they have had to listen to complaints about poor ship maintenance.

We are three star Mariners and have never had an officer present at any meet and greet. I've never had an officer on any line attend. Most HAL gatherings were in the Crows nest with other non hosted activities going on in the same room. Passengers only.

I remember two HAL cruises where tour organizers instructed us to be at the meet and greet to exchange money. The money was discreetly passed but it was passengers only.

OK, I agree if officers are there private tours should not be discussed but they will not be there going forward. This thread is all about officers no longer attending. They don't want to attend as they have had to listen to complaints about poor ship maintenance.

We are three star Mariners and have never had an officer present at any meet and greet. I've never had an officer on any line attend. Most HAL gatherings were in the Crows nest with other non hosted activities going on in the same room. Passengers only.

I remember two HAL cruises where tour organizers instructed us to be at the meet and greet to exchange money. The money was discreetly passed but it was passengers only.

Yes, I understand what the thread is about but there was also a discussion about officers being there. I cruised princess in February and there were many officers at the meet and greet including the captain. They were very engaging and I felt like they wanted to be there.

On my cruises the officers have attended the M&Gs. On one cruise, as it was a longer one, we had two M&Gs and the captain, HD, Head Chef, Guest Relations Manager attended each one. And they provided yummy goodies and drinks. At none of them were private tours discussed in the presence of the officers, even though they stayed for quite some time. It was made clear to everyone on the roll call that such discussion is discourteous and a no-no until after the officers had left, or until after the M&G when groups could get together. I find it sad that this has been discontinued, but it is what it is.

Edited by Lizzie68

I guess when I take my next cruise I will need to attend a meet and greet. But I still have a question about the proper etiquette in talking to the Ship Officers.

It would obviously be poor form to invite the ship officers to your meeting and then ignore them but I still do not get the discussion of private tours as being a no no. But I am presuming at these M&Gs that they are not some organized Roberts Rules of Order meeting but rather a mingling and perhaps this is the cause for my confusion. That therefore some of the M&Gers might be talking to the Officers while others are discussing other topics which might include the excursions planned during the voyage whether HAL sponsored or not.

The Officers must be aware that every passenger does not take a HAL sponsored excursion. My understanding is that these excursions for the most part are not provided by HAL but rather are contracted by HAL with private parties and HAL gets a commission. I will presume that the Officers do not get a commission and are compensated the same whether I take a HAL sponsored excursion or a private excursion.

If I ever got invited to the Officer's table for dinner and the conversation drifted around to what I did that day. If I took a private tour should I just keep quiet. Should I apologize for not taking a HAL sponsored tour.

My guess is that the Officers hear about both the HAL sponsored tours and the private tours and if asked might enjoy relaying their knowledge of a particular tour to a questioner. Ie I took a flight on a private tour to the Misty fjords and unlike many of the operators this tour operator landed and let us out on the land rather than the pontoons. If I talked to the Officers and I said "I wanted to take a tour that let me walk on the land and not just the pontoon" that they might (if they knew about it) recommend this tour and indicate that they had heard nothing but good things about it. I can not imagine the Officers taking offense to my discussing the tour with them.

I just can not imagine the Officers being such Company men that they would take offense at the discussion of anything non-HAL in their presence nor would I think it out of bounds to enter into such discussions with the Officers. I will say that I would not expect them to be as knowledgeable about non-HAL ships, tours or anything else but then they probably are still more knowledgeable than me.

I just can not imagine the Officers being such Company men that they would take offense at the discussion of anything non-HAL in their presence nor would I think it out of bounds to enter into such discussions with the Officers. I will say that I would not expect them to be as knowledgeable about non-HAL ships, tours or anything else but then they probably are still more knowledgeable than me.

Very well put.