No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

Many people only join Cruise critic now for the tours, 90% of the time their first posting on any roll call....I am new to Cruise critic, who has room on their tours.

So HAL has found that Cruise critic is mostly about tours for many persons, this is why they do not make these 'social' events part of the duities of their staff anymore. Not to mention that some of the participants in the roll calls are saying....we shall discuss the tour at the M & G.

I think HAL is right not to participate, they provide the venues, the cookies and the hot drinks, but no officiers. Understandable, this is my opinion from my observations.

Many people only join Cruise critic now for the tours, 90% of the time their first posting on any roll call....I am new to Cruise critic, who has room on their tours.

So HAL has found that Cruise critic is mostly about tours for many persons, this is why they do not make these 'social' events part of the duities of their staff anymore. Not to mention that some of the participants in the roll calls are saying....we shall discuss the tour at the M & G.

I think HAL is right not to participate, they provide the venues, the cookies and the hot drinks, but no officiers. Understandable, this is my opinion from my observations.

Do you also feel the same about them not Hosting what used to be called the VIP Party or the Suite Welcome Aboard?

I got off my last HAL cruise in May and there was a VIP party. So not sure when and if it was discontinued. I will be on 2 B2B cruises in 10 days and will be able to report when I come back home end of Dec.

In the meantime, the VIP party used to include anybody with 100 days medallion and now there are so many of them, that could be a reason for discontinuing.... I have also sometimes noticed some door crashers....

Each cruise I have been on had special parties for the suites, if something is changed, it is news for me.

My impression is that they discontinued the venue for a while in order to bring some changes, like reducing the number of people qualifing....It is hard to say we are not inviting the 100 days plus anymore. But once it is discontinued, they can come back and say : you are invited to a VIP party (and only include 300 or 500 days and more and the suite people).

Once the event is cancelled and restarted a bit later, rules can be changed.

Again, only my impression.

Edited by happyglobetrotter

I guess my experience on roll calls is different than yours.

Yes, we do private tours, and pre-cruise dinners for those in port, and other stuff, but generally there is a camaraderie built on the roll calls that I have been on so that you feel like you "know" the person before you get on.

We also book some of HAL's smaller tours, group lunches in the Pinnacle and several of us get together for Le Cirque, Cellar Master dinners, Chef's Table, wine tastings, piano bar, etc. So, HAL is definitely getting revenue from us.

Maybe I have been lucky? but there is a lot more to roll calls than private tours. ;)

Edited by kazu

I got off my last HAL cruise in May and there was a VIP party. So not sure when and if it was discontinued. I will be on 2 B2B cruises in 10 days and will be able to report when I come back home end of Dec.

In the meantime, the VIP party used to include anybody with 100 days medallion and now there are so many of them, that could be a reason for discontinuing.... I have also sometimes noticed some door crashers....

Each cruise I have been on had special parties for the suites, if something is changed, it is news for me.

My impression is that they discontinued the venue for a while in order to bring some changes, like reducing the number of people qualifing....It is hard to say we are not inviting the 100 days plus anymore. But once it is discontinued, they can come back and say : you are invited to a VIP party (and only include 300 or 500 days and more and the suite people).

Thanks for your response. What you said makes sense.

I can give first hand experience to this. My husband worked for HAL for 10+ years (corporate office, not on the ships). However, when we sailed there were many times it came up in conversation. My husband had nothing to do with the operation of the ships, but many times people felt it appropriate to seek us out and complain to us (I've heard it all from room is too hot, room is too cold, food isn't as good, waiter is too slow, entertainment is lacking...you name it). There was one guy that literally chased us down the Promenade deck when my husband directed him to the front office. And this was when we were on our own private vacations, not work functions.

And the icing on the cake? There was one unhappy group leader that was unhappy that there was some kind of miscommunication between his travel agent and HAL. He thought his group was getting a complimentary cocktail party, which they didn't get. His solution was to put the whole tab for a night's worth of drinks, for his whole group, in my husbands name and send it to our room. (He must have stalked us to find our cabin number).

True stories.

I can give first hand experience to this. My husband worked for HAL for 10+ years (corporate office, not on the ships). However, when we sailed there were many times it came up in conversation. My husband had nothing to do with the operation of the ships, but many times people felt it appropriate to seek us out and complain to us (I've heard it all from room is too hot, room is too cold, food isn't as good, waiter is too slow, entertainment is lacking...you name it). There was one guy that literally chased us down the Promenade deck when my husband directed him to the front office. And this was when we were on our own private vacations, not work functions.

And the icing on the cake? There was one unhappy group leader that was unhappy that there was some kind of miscommunication between his travel agent and HAL. He thought his group was getting a complimentary cocktail party, which they didn't get. His solution was to put the whole tab for a night's worth of drinks, for his whole group, in my husbands name and send it to our room. (He must have stalked us to find our cabin number).

True stories.

This really illustrates the situation perfectly. Wow. I'm amazed and not. You think most people have manners but after spending more time here than I should I can see that's not the case. To put a tab under your husbands name is beyond belief. I don't know how some people sleep at night.

Meet and Greet should be attended by Cruise Director as the representative of the crew. I would not expect officers to come as it is not an official HAL function.

There is a Captain's toast one night prior to the show, isn't there?

There is a Mariner's luncheon where the captain generally makes a short speech.

There is a Mariner's reception where the officers greet people.

There are award ceremonies for Mariner's awards.

I would prefer that the officers spend their time on the larger issue of providing us a pleasant cruise experience. I have dealt with a few issues and have never had a problem getting an officer to discuss my concerns with me and try to reach a solution.

True stories.

I sympathize with you. My wife and I both worked for AT&T. Between local, long distance, cellular, and Internet - there were people constantly haranguing us about something or other. We finally decided the best way to deal with the problem was to lie. If you were to ask us what we did, the answer was, "We design, manufacture, and sell custom imprinted urinal cakes." Never really had any follow up questions after that. :D

I sympathize with you. My wife and I both worked for AT&T. Between local, long distance, cellular, and Internet - there were people constantly haranguing us about something or other. We finally decided the best way to deal with the problem was to lie. If you were to ask us what we did, the answer was, "We design, manufacture, and sell custom imprinted urinal cakes." Never really had any follow up questions after that. :D

Love it :D.

True stories.

WOW! just WOW

horrible especially the icing on the cake.

How the heck does someone charge something without a key card? that person had some nerve and probably bullied the staff.

I know there are demanding people out there, but, my eyes have been truly opened.

Meet and Greet should be attended by Cruise Director as the representative of the crew. I would not expect officers to come as it is not an official HAL function.

There is a Mariner's luncheon where the captain generally makes a short speech.

There is a Mariner's reception where the officers greet people.

There are award ceremonies for Mariner's awards.

I would prefer that the officers spend their time on the larger issue of providing us a pleasant cruise experience. I have dealt with a few issues and have never had a problem getting an officer to discuss my concerns with me and try to reach a solution.

No more Captain's Toast (first Gala Night)

So far no one has said anything about the Mariner's Medallion Reception ( awarding medallions) - wait for it to go, along with the Medallions.

So far there still is a Mariner's Brunch (usually last day of cruise, sometimes the Captain makes a short or long speech)

So far there still is a Mariner's Brunch (usually last day of cruise, sometimes the Captain makes a short or long speech)

My understanding this is going away soon, just not sure when but they are considering going back to the mid to late morning cocktail reception like they had several years ago. Not sure if anything has been decided yet but they are pretty sure the Mariner Luncheon will be going away.

There is a Mariner's luncheon where the captain generally makes a short speech. ))

There is a Mariner's reception where the officers greet people. ))

There are award ceremonies for Mariner's awards. ))

<snip>.

For Clarification...... those are all part of the one function. The Mariners Brunch follows the Award Ceremony and Hotel Manager and Captain are customarily present. The way you list it, it appears to be multiple activities but it really is not. :)

Edited by sail7seas

HAL is definitely NOT the Cruise line it was a few years ago and I think you will see more and more changes that basically Officers will be invisible non approachable.

While Money is concerned it has nothing to do with Officers attending Meet and Greets, having VIP Parties and Attending Suite Parties.

The Complaint Box is over flowing and it Overflows at these functions which is not the time and place but since HAL does nothing to correct it's on board problems other than hand out a plate of Chocolate covered Strawberries and if you are lucky some ship board credit... HAL is not willing to spend money to fix their ships and no money is being allocated at all to the remaining S and R Class ships. If the Officers stay away from the Passengers they do not have to deal with it. Officers basically have to have a Closed Door Policy, they have no choice for their own sanity. This did NOT come down from the Main Officer but rather came from the ships and Main Office agreed.

This comment is totally on target.

We've seen a huge decline in HAL ship condition, food and service. It is very obvious to us they are not investing in their product, they are just treading water. We used our last future booking credit well over a year ago on a cruise was fair to middlin and not worth our valuable time and money. We did not buy another future cruise credit.

Personally I don't care whether officers attend meet and greets. I care about on board food, service and ship condition.

DH & my Friend's DH both are retired from AT&T in NYC... I'm retired from an International Airline.. Our DH's have had the complaints & questions about all kinds of telephone problems & I used to get the complaints/questions about the Airlines..;) Once someone knows you worked for a well known company, people will use that knowledge to their own advantage...

True stories.

Your story about the Group leader really takes the cake..:eek: Hope your DH was able to get him or the Agent to pay the bill..I'm amazed that people found out that your DH worked for HAL? When we flew on my own or any other airlines we tried to never tell other passengers that we worked in the Industry.. Sometimes, when questioned directly I had to answer, but usually we tried not to disclose this info to a paying Passenger.. Of course if someone saw me on standby & boarded last, they sometimes realized I was an employee.. However, all of us normally tried to be quiet about it..

One time DH & I were boarded in First class & sat together but our 13yr old sat alone several rows back.. Of course he was in a suit w/tie..We were newlyweds & it was his first flight with us.. The Stewardess came to us & asked if he was our son.. When I confirmed it, she said he had been refusing to take a soda or anything to eat..:confused:He figured that because he was non-revenue he was not allowed to eat or drink anything..He was thrilled when I told him he could have a coke & something to eat..:)We still get a big laugh about that..:D

Edited by serendipity1499

HAL is definitely NOT the Cruise line it was a few years ago and I think you will see more and more changes that basically Officers will be invisible non approachable.

While Money is concerned it has nothing to do with Officers attending Meet and Greets, having VIP Parties and Attending Suite Parties.

The Complaint Box is over flowing and it Overflows at these functions which is not the time and place but since HAL does nothing to correct it's on board problems other than hand out a plate of Chocolate covered Strawberries and if you are lucky some ship board credit... HAL is not willing to spend money to fix their ships and no money is being allocated at all to the remaining S and R Class ships. If the Officers stay away from the Passengers they do not have to deal with it. Officers basically have to have a Closed Door Policy, they have no choice for their own sanity. This did NOT come down from the Main Officer but rather came from the ships and Main Office agreed.

I would take this a bit farther and state that it is not the blame of the Officers, they would love nothing more than to have Happy Passengers, Happy Crew and a well running functioning ship. Many love socializing with the Passengers and truly miss those days. But circumstances have gone way out of their control and only so much they can do.

Lisa as usual you have given us some good insight about HAL...It must make you sad to know that the service is going downhill.. It's sad to read about so many of the changes, but understand that change is bound to happen..Our last cruise on the Prinsendam in 2013 was wonderful & I hope our cruise on the Eurodam next month will also be a good one.. Not sure how much longer we can cruise & want our cruise to be restful & a happy time for DH..

Happy cruising!

Edited by serendipity1499

True stories.

Terrible!! Some people were Raised By Wolves.

There have been a couple of times when we were not invited to the VIP parties -- and at that time we had over 500 days and were in a Neptune Suite or the PS.

True stories.

What a horrible experience. Sure didn't make your vacation very relaxing.

Hope your husband was able to get the name of that group leader and made him pay for all those drinks he charged to you.

Just off a Collector's Cruise on the Prinsendam, and it was clear when we boarded that the officer's would not be attending the M&G. Since I don't think the sun rises and sets on Cruise Critic members, that was okay with me.

I was actually glad they didn't show up, as despite my admonitions prior to the event, there was one person who arrived late to the show and then introduced herself and went into a long spiel about her private tour that still had room. She did this right in front of the bar staff.

What I DID miss was the Captain's greeting event at the start of the cruise, so you could at least see what the Captain, HD and CD look like. Also, on prior Collector's Cruises, there was a cocktail hour for those who were doing both legs, attended by the officers. We had a great time talking with some of the lesser known people (beverage manager, onboard event coordinator). At least HAL did give us an Indonesian luncheon, and that was attended by the officers.

I was also not very impressed with the new entertainment aboard, but that's an entirely different subject.

Just off a Collector's Cruise on the Prinsendam, and it was clear when we boarded that the officer's would not be attending the M&G. Since I don't think the sun rises and sets on Cruise Critic members, that was okay with me.

I was actually glad they didn't show up, as despite my admonitions prior to the event, there was one person who arrived late to the show and then introduced herself and went into a long spiel about her private tour that still had room. She did this right in front of the bar staff.

What I DID miss was the Captain's greeting event at the start of the cruise, so you could at least see what the Captain, HD and CD look like. Also, on prior Collector's Cruises, there was a cocktail hour for those who were doing both legs, attended by the officers. We had a great time talking with some of the lesser known people (beverage manager, onboard event coordinator). At least HAL did give us an Indonesian luncheon, and that was attended by the officers.

I was also not very impressed with the new entertainment aboard, but that's an entirely different subject.

that is outright rude, especially when you did the admonitions.

I can just imagine how you felt. It's so thoughtless when people do this.

What a horrible experience. Sure didn't make your vacation very relaxing.

Hope your husband was able to get the name of that group leader and made him pay for all those drinks he charged to you.

Yes, to all the people who asked about the charges. It wasn't a problem for us, it was removed.

People found out my husband worked for HAL in a few different ways. He wouldn't go around the ship advertising it, but sometimes it comes up in conversation when you meet people. The inevitable "what do you do for a living" kind of thing. He was always so proud and happy to work for them, he didn't mind at all. I will say in most cases it was a positive interaction, and even in some, valuable friendships (we met Sail and her dear DH that way).

In the case of the group leader, that gentleman knew him from some prior dealings.

I completely agree with what others have to say about taking advantage of the officers. I just didnt want anyone to think my husband was a ship's officer, he worked on the business side out of Seattle. However, I can recall one particular dinner at the Captain's table, where a guy was complaining about things on the ship. DH and I tried very hard to keep steering the conversation back to interesting but approrpriate topics ("So, out of all the places you've been where would you like to spend more time?", "How did you become interested in sailing?", etc), but this guy kept talking over and complaining about the service. The Captain was gracious, but no suprise he excused himself right after dessert arrived.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Nice. Fortunately, my actual job shuts people up.

Person A: "What do you do?"

Me: "I teach English and public speaking."

Person A: <in the wind>