No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

Agree!

Two things:

1. Be careful what you read in interviews: they could be considered advertising for the line

2. Azamara ship are smaller, most of HAL's are larger. Fewer pax vs more pax. I guess fewer pax would not be so overwhelming to deal with.

However, as you you note, if a Captain, or HD for that matter, is well trained and experienced, they should be able to handle such situations.

It appears to me that some HAL Captains and HDs do not think their job description should include dealing with pax. Whether this attitude is new or old, I am not sure. They are perhaps making their feelings known to Seattle more now.

FWIW, I will say that it was obvious to me at least that our officers, captain, HD, Cellar Master, Chief Chef, et., etc., all wanted to be there at our Westerdam cruise meet and greet. They certainly didn't have to come back to the second one and they were back en masse.

I think they knew a good group when they saw it?

But their joy of the passengers was obvious or they are very good at hiding body language as I am usually good at reading that stuff.

The crew was happy. The Cellar Master was superb and around everywhere.

It was a truly joyful cruise.

I am going to hope that this new thing is only for certain ships and if we have the right master, HD, etc. they will still want to have something to do with their passengers.

Time will tell. But, if it's not something that the officers don't want to do, then better they don't.

Here's the thing - when I was in management, I still went out to see my customers and see how things were going. If you are not in touch, you lose touch and you lose clients. At least, that was how I looked at things but I have been wrong before ;)

Edited by kazu
I REALLY hate auto correct.

Probably both, plus pax want too much, want to talk too much, ask all the wrong questions (when they aren't actually complaining), are never satisfied....

Guest satisfaction has to be important to Seattle, but on some ships it seems to be a matter of just processing the pax, whatever the outcome.

I guess I must have been really lucky to this point. The M&Gs I have attended have all been friendly, happy get-togethers and with no complaining about anything that we heard. Officers stuck around and seemed to enjoy chatting to everyone. The Westie captain actually invited questions and comments, and nothing negative transpired. I think it's sad that those kinds of events have gone, for whatever reason.

FWIW, I will say that it was obvious to me at least that our officers, captain, HD, Cellar Master, Chief Chef, et., etc., all wanted to be there at our Westerdam cruise meet and greet. They certainly didn't have to come back to the second one and they were back en masse.

I think they knew a good group when they saw it?

But their joy of the passengers was obvious or they are very good at hiding body language as I am usually good at reading that stuff.

The crew was happy. The Cellar Master was superb and around everywhere.

It was a truly joyful cruise.

I am going to hope that this new thing is only for certain ships and if we have the right master, HD, etc. they will still want to have something to do with their passengers.

Time will tell. But, if it's not something that the officers don't want to do, then better they don't.

Here's the thing - when I was in management, I still went out to see my customers and see how things were going. If you are not in touch, you lose touch and you lose clients. At least, that was how I looked at things but I have been wrong before ;)

With all respect, give it a second or two more thought.

There were many CC'ers on those cruises. There were live posts from aboard. There were people in pricey Suites and some who have sailed many days.

Are you sure they came only because it was fun? I don't doubt they enjoyed the group, were completely honest in providing treats and extras and did so willingly and independently of any request but....... it was also good business. :)

Frankly, if the goal of the M&G is for a pax to thank all those who have signed up for a private tour than there is no value for HAL and the "tour organizer" is cheap.

Never bothered with a M&G. No offense, I'm on vacation, not on a group cruise and I've found over the years they border on extortion on chat rooms if things don't go people's way.

HAL has some big problems. The newbuilds are still too small compared to competitors. When the decision was made to go mainstream, the line should have gone all in. It didn't.

On Seabourn, for example, the tour selling is pretty light because pax know what they want to do and have the money to do it themselves. In fact, if there was a lecture, I can't remember it.

With all respect, give it a second or two more thought.

There were many CC'ers on those cruises. There were live posts from aboard. There were people in pricey Suites and some who have sailed many days.

Are you sure they came only because it was fun? I don't doubt they enjoyed the group, were completely honest in providing treats and extras and did so willingly and independently of any request but....... it was also good business. :)

Kazu's cruise was an exceptional one in many ways. Having read her detailed live thread, I was highly impressed and amazed by the Captain.

"Clone that man", should be the take-away from that particular cruise. He was not the average HAL Captain.

Such a blend of personality and conscientiousness and look what you get! Of course it is very good business and advertising, with the huge rollcall and a prominent CC thread. This is what HAL should be aiming for in their choice of Captains.

<snip>

On Seabourn, for example, the tour selling is pretty light because pax know what they want to do and have the money to do it themselves. In fact, if there was a lecture, I can't remember it.

You neglect to consider the solo cruiser, especially a female solo cruiser who may not wish to trot all over major European cities on her own. Many (most ?) will want a tour in one form or another. I do not particularly care to commit to touring with strangers who arranged the transportation etc and if such a small group, a solo female could feel quite trapped.

A ship's sponsored tour, with whatever faults, may suit better.

I'd feel more confident and comfortable. Should I have an injury or become ill while touring, no reason to expect the independent CC tour group to assist me. If on a ship's tour, every reason to know I'd be helped.

Seabourn offers them. And there are some very amazing tours. They're just not in your face about it. And on longer cruises, there is a special night for the entire ship to have dinner and drinks at a great venue.

SB and HAL are two entirely different beasts, comparing any aspect isn't fair IMO (to either side).

I have strong thoughts (based on sailing experience plus knowing a few HAL Group execs abd a strong Dutch connection) where this is heading but will refrain at this time. I will say Lisa has pointed to a big thing that'll happen.

Edited by sppunk

Actually, since Seabourn moved their offices into the HAL Headquarters building in Seattle and many of the top positions in both companies are shared by some of the same people, are there more similarities than formerly?

I don't know the answer.... I'm asking the question.

HAL has some big problems. The newbuilds are still too small compared to competitors. When the decision was made to go mainstream, the line should have gone all in. It didn't.

I just don't understand the apparent desire to have all of the "mainstream" lines to be cut from the same cloth. One of the things we really like about HAL is the smaller design that is not 100% dedicated toward psychologically pushing their passengers inwards toward more revenue producing areas. Just try to find a full promenade deck on any of the direct competition.

I'm not knocking the other lines. If we were sailing as a "family" we would likely choose the big RCCL ships and there is nothing wrong with that. Just glad that HAL continues to provide an alternative that we continue to enjoy.

And that was my point before we got sidetracked.

HAL has a course to choose and it better do it soon.

Ah sorry, I skipped some of the conversation. I think in 2017 you see the change. Hint: Look at the poor Regal Princess launch.

Actually, since Seabourn moved their offices into the HAL Headquarters building in Seattle and many of the top positions in both companies are shared by some of the same people, are there more similarities than formerly?

I don't know the answer.... I'm asking the question.

Not on the ships, no. Just consolidating corporate resources (accounting, purchasing power, etc).

Prior management ran HAL terribly. Recent managing killed Princess. New management has a long, rough road of correcting those mistakes.

Princess was the downfall of HAL. They came to the fork in the road and went princess.

Yup (though it was a Carnival-forced move from all accounts)! But they're turning around and gong the other way. The question is: will the pricing allow it to succeed? We'll know in two years time.

You neglect to consider the solo cruiser, especially a female solo cruiser who may not wish to trot all over major European cities on her own. Many (most ?) will want a tour in one form or another. I do not particularly care to commit to touring with strangers who arranged the transportation etc and if such a small group, a solo female could feel quite trapped.

I'd feel more confident and comfortable. Should I have an injury or become ill while touring, no reason to expect the independent CC tour group to assist me. If on a ship's tour, every reason to know I'd be helped.

Amen, Sister. Also, the HAL tours offer more options if one suddenly finds that it is much more strenuous that advertised.

Susan

Sail, we haven't done a ship tour in ages. I understand DIY would not work for a solo traveler but I assure you private tour guides take the very best care of their customers. I assure you private tour organizers (including me) vette the tour companies who often work in some capacity doing cruise lines tours. Private tour operators are not fly by night operations.

There is extensive information on Trip Advisor, CC,, Fodors, Frommers, etc about these guides.

In Alaska we used a tour guide who guided Bill Gates' 40th birthday celebration when Paul Allen chartered the Crystal Symphony for their A list friends.

In Northern Ireland our guide does a lot of work for the government and had just finished driving Bill Clinton around. We've used a private company in Rome many times and they do a lot of work for CNN whenever the media is in town for papal events.

We were on tour in France with a very well known female guide and one passenger was ill repeatedly during our tour. She was very well taken care of.

Edited by sammiedawg

Sail, we haven't done a ship tour in ages. I understand DIY would not work for a solo traveler but I assure you private tour guides take the very best care of their customers. I assure you private tour organizers (including me) vette the tour companies who often work in some capacity doing cruise lines tours. Private tour operators are not fly by night operations.

There is extensive information on Trip Advisor, CC,, Fodors, Frommers, etc about these guides.

In Alaska we used a tour guide who guided Bill Gates' 40th birthday celebration when Paul Allen chartered the Crystal Symphony for their A list friends.

In Northern Ireland our guide does a lot of work for the government and had just finished driving Bill Clinton around. We've used a private company in Rome many times and they do a lot of work for CNN whenever the media is in town for papal events.

We were on tour in France with a very well known female guide and one passenger was ill repeatedly during our tour. She was very well taken care of.

agree 100% with this. Also, we have had a number of solos on our private tours and they enjoyed them immensely ;)

Yes, I agree. No cruise line can be all things to all people.

But HAL seems to be trying this route, and as you said, it's not possible.

By today's cruising standards, they are unique and should exploit that. Their ships aren't as small as the small ship, all-inclusive, luxury lines. And the ships aren't anything like the mega-ships with lots of dining options and many choices for entertainment.

Their niche could be all about the itinerary. And to support that, get some GOOD port lecturers. They could look at points in their Alaska itineraries where two ships are in port, and shuffle lecturers, maybe get some locals involved, who could go from A to B on one ship and B to A on another, with not too much time away from home. Don't get some university prof to lecture on Inuits. Get an Inuit to come and talk on board. Get a re-enactor to do a program on the gold rush.

The big ships sell the "ship experience." But HAL could sell the DESTINATION experience. I don't know if this would appeal to enough people, but at least it would make HAL different.

Fuel savings impact bonuses.

If all are aboard ten minutes early for leaving port, there is fuel savings by leaving immediately and not waiting for no practical reason.

I wouldn't think this is necessarily so. There's the question of pilot availability and harbor master control. If a departure is scheduled for a specific time, there would be traffic management and potentially waiting for the pilot. Not just like pulling out of a parking space.

agree 100% with this. Also, we have had a number of solos on our private tours and they enjoyed them immensely ;)

My late DH and I more enjoyed touring on our own with private guides or not. We often hired car and guide and did/saw what we wanted either with travel mates or on our own.

Now that I am solo, I doubt I would join M&G tours. Just isn't something that appeals to me. I'll decide what will work best as I continue what travels I may choose to do. I don't want to be committed to booking with strangers I've not met and know nothing about. One can represent themselves to be anything they want on the internet. To plan in advance to spend considerable time with 'unknowns' is not for me but for those who are comfortable with it, all the more power to you.