No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

Embarkation Mariner lunch has apparently been replaced with MDR open to all PAX on one level- normally from noon to 1:30. Was that way on our last and many have experienced the same.

For our Boston embarkation on the Maasdam last month, the MDR was closed to all. There was a "cocktail party" (sparkling wine and gold fish) held in the Showroom At Sea mid-afternoon for returning Mariners, but other than the CD outside greeting people as they entered, there were no ship's officers or representatives.

Yes, to all the people who asked about the charges. It wasn't a problem for us, it was removed.

People found out my husband worked for HAL in a few different ways. He wouldn't go around the ship advertising it, but sometimes it comes up in conversation when you meet people. The inevitable "what do you do for a living" kind of thing. He was always so proud and happy to work for them, he didn't mind at all. I will say in most cases it was a positive interaction, and even in some, valuable friendships (we met Sail and her dear DH that way).

In the case of the group leader, that gentleman knew him from some prior dealings.

<snip>

I can assure you these are two of the nicest and least boastful people we ever met on a cruise ship. We remained friends and were fortunate to meet up again on one ship and another. The poster's DH never went around the ship identifying himself but we all know how somehow words gets out and passed around. We enjoyed many a lovely time together. :)

How sad is that, the fact that the officers prefer to avoid the passengers because of the sorry state of the ships. Unfortunately, that does seem to be true. It is unfortunate, however, that some passengers would choose to collar the officers during a social function to complain about mechanical issues. There's a time and place, as frustrating as the situation may be. However, HAL needs to deal with the problem head-on and not push their officers into hiding away from it.

What you say is so disturbing though I don't doubt the accuracy. I wonder, however, what it means about long term or even near future for HAL and their ships. There comes a time when they must do this maintenance or they are no longer fit to pass Coast Guard and USPH Inspections. HAL doesn't need any of us to tell them this. They know what they are doing yet they continue to do it.

What does it mean?

Lisa

You mean the big, last day Mariner Brunch? Or the Embarkation lunch?

What about medallions?

Thanks!!!

No I am talking about the Mariner Brunch that is done toward the end of the cruise that prior to the 4 and 5 Star Mariners get invited for cocktails and they hand out medallions. Last I heard this was still up in the air about what they will be doing and the discussion was to go back to the mid morning cocktail party but they were planning on getting rid of the brunch. When this will happen I am not sure.

As far as medallions that I do not know , but suspect those will also go away in the upcoming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Embarkation Mariner lunch has apparently been replaced with MDR open to all PAX on one level- normally from noon to 1:30. Was that way on our last and many have experienced the same.

Frank, was it crowded or did it necessitate waiting to be seated, or did you find it pretty much as it was when it was supposedly just for Mariners? I am wondering if by opening the MDR for all on embarkation day it is intended to relieve the congestion in the Lido.

Frank, was it crowded or did it necessitate waiting to be seated, or did you find it pretty much as it was when it was supposedly just for Mariners? I am wondering if by opening the MDR for all on embarkation day it is intended to relieve the congestion in the Lido.

I was wondering the same thing.

Having never been to one, I have to ask: what is the attraction?

* Is there a special menu that day (embarkation)?

* Is it a personal preference to eat in the MDR? ( mine happens to be the Lido, to each his own)

* Is it the aura that it is a perk-"special" and only for returning Mariners, or in some cases, high star Mariners?

Many people only join Cruise critic now for the tours, 90% of the time their first posting on any roll call....I am new to Cruise critic, who has room on their tours.

So HAL has found that Cruise critic is mostly about tours for many persons, this is why they do not make these 'social' events part of the duities of their staff anymore. Not to mention that some of the participants in the roll calls are saying....we shall discuss the tour at the M & G.

I think HAL is right not to participate, they provide the venues, the cookies and the hot drinks, but no officiers. Understandable, this is my opinion from my observations.

I agree with you. Our upcoming Asia cruise has been divided into 14 day roll calls. And every roll call, most of the people joining are interested in joining private tours. And they mention that they are interested in joining tours rather than info about themselves or this is the first time I have cruise with HAL or this is the first time I have been on the Volendam.

There seems to be no interest in meeting others. I wouldn't be surprised if HAL someday discontinues providing space for Cruise Critic.

We were on the Prinsendam when the changes went into effect. Yet, at our first M&M, the Guest Relations Officer who is a delightful lady showed up. And naturally, someone started talking about tours. How sad that Cruise Critic members are spoiling events like this for themselves by discussing tours or complaining. Now there is a thread again complaining that officers no longer want to show up for events.

* Is it a personal preference to eat in the MDR? ( mine happens to be the Lido, to each his own)

* Is it the aura that it is a perk-"special" and only for returning Mariners, or in some cases, high star Mariners?

The embarkation lunch is in the dining room on the day you board the ship. They only seat for about an hour (12-1). It does relieve the stress on the Lido. I seldom enjoy eating lunch in the Lido so this works for me. After boarding we just head for the dining room. I don't like the rush of people in the Lido, picking over all of the food, and jockeying for tables by the window or elsewhere. The dining room has a limited menu but you can sit down and talk to others and be waited on. For me, that's the best way to start a cruise. Then, we head to our stateroom and get organized.

It started out just for Mariners several years ago. They did restrict access in the beginning as I was refused entrance even though I was 3 star. I don't ask anymore, I just go. It is just for people who know to head to the dining room. No big deal. I don't think they restrict access any more. They may not offer it on all sailings.

There's been nothing special on the menu when we've attended. Last time, DW had to send her over-cooked salmon back twice.

Just an option on days when the Lido has been packed.

LOL. No special aura, just another MDR lunch.

FWIW, we now go to our room first, unpack our carryon bags, freshen up and head to the Lido for a somewhat later but generally more enjoyable lunch. As perks go, this isn't one we'll miss.

The embarkation lunch is in the dining room on the day you board the ship. They only seat for about an hour (12-1). It does relieve the stress on the Lido. I seldom enjoy eating lunch in the Lido so this works for me. After boarding we just head for the dining room. I don't like the rush of people in the Lido, picking over all of the food, and jockeying for tables by the window or elsewhere. The dining room has a limited menu but you can sit down and talk to others and be waited on. For me, that's the best way to start a cruise. Then, we head to our stateroom and get organized.

It started out just for Mariners several years ago. They did restrict access in the beginning as I was refused entrance even though I was 3 star. I don't ask anymore, I just go. It is just for people who know to head to the dining room. No big deal. I don't think they restrict access any more. They may not offer it on all sailings.

You sum up my feelings perfectly. I don't enjoy the cafeteria at the best of times.

I don't really care if it's open to everyone or not. I've never seen it overrun at any time. Why not let everyone attend.

No I am talking about the Mariner Brunch that is done toward the end of the cruise that prior to the 4 and 5 Star Mariners get invited for cocktails and they hand out medallions. Last I heard this was still up in the air about what they will be doing and the discussion was to go back to the mid morning cocktail party but they were planning on getting rid of the brunch. When this will happen I am not sure.

As far as medallions that I do not know , but suspect those will also go away in the upcoming year.

I'd be just as happy if they got rid of the Mariners brunch. It's not something I really enjoy.

Thank you, Lisa

BIG surprise to me if HAL gets rid of the big Mariner's Brunch. That is the one Mariner event on the ships for all Mariners.

I hope they keep the medallion cocktail party until, of course, the get rid of the medallions.

Any insight into why all this is happening? Some of these events are not about senior staff being bombarded with complaints (no pax interaction at the Captain's Reception, Mariner's embarkation Lunch, the Mariner Brunch).

Looks a lot like saving money on champagne and/or nibbles (VIP Party, Captain's Reception, Mariner's Brunch) and tiles, plus medallions.

Also, the medallions - the reasoning behind that?

I agree with you. Our upcoming Asia cruise has been divided into 14 day roll calls. And every roll call, most of the people joining are interested in joining private tours. And they mention that they are interested in joining tours rather than info about themselves or this is the first time I have cruise with HAL or this is the first time I have been on the Volendam.

There seems to be no interest in meeting others. I wouldn't be surprised if HAL someday discontinues providing space for Cruise Critic.

We were on the Prinsendam when the changes went into effect. Yet, at our first M&M, the Guest Relations Officer who is a delightful lady showed up. And naturally, someone started talking about tours. How sad that Cruise Critic members are spoiling events like this for themselves by discussing tours or complaining. Now there is a thread again complaining that officers no longer want to show up for events.

It is true, I always try and hold off talking about private tours until after the officers leave. I think it is a matter of courtesy. They usually leave after 30 or so minutes.

no the aura is not that is a "perk special". The aura is that some of us prefer not to go to the rush of the Lido.

We don't always do the Mariner Embarkation Luncheon, but , it's a nice switch.

Any mariner can go - you don't have to be a high star Mariner at all.

Oh this just bothers me so much. I've done some meet and greets and post on the roll call some etiquette protocol (ie, no complaints, not discussing private tours,etc.

I also have it in my invites to please not discuss tours (special insert).

It's really sad when some people don't listen.

I really enjoy meeting the people that I have been sharing on line with for over a year sometimes. Officers are not necessary but after the Prinsendam and the Westerdam Meet and Greets all I can say is that they can sure add to it.

I guess I will just count my lucky stars that we got to experience such great captains and them taking the time to come (their choice) and grateful to have met the roll call members that I have.

Edited by kazu

I'm not Frank, but had a recent experience on the Westerdam. When we boarded I asked about the MDR and they told me to go straight down the hallway to the end. They did seem to think it was full, but when we got there, we walked right in and were seated. I didn't see many people there and I don't think the MDR was too populated because it seemed like we had 5 waiters at times.

Deb

I'm not Frank, but had a recent experience on the Westerdam. When we boarded I asked about the MDR and they told me to go straight down the hallway to the end. They did seem to think it was full, but when we got there, we walked right in and were seated. I didn't see many people there and I don't think the MDR was too populated because it seemed like we had 5 waiters at times.

Deb

Thank you, good to know.

Deb

Frank agrees- we had servers falling all over us- not many at all in the MDR

Frank agrees- we had servers falling all over us- not many at all in the MDR

Last year in April, we embarked Diamond Princess for a wonderful 27 day Japanese/Asian adventure. Upon embarkation in Yokohama, we found our cabin and went to the MDR to see if perhaps they were open for lunch. It was somewhat near their closing time and we were the FIRST people who showed up for lunch there. They were falling all over themselves to take care of us......and no one else showed up the rest of the time.

We felt almost guilty for being there but they seemed so appreciative of SOMEONE showing up, that we couldn't feel bad about it. Loved it!! Great trip, BTW!

I, for one, am extremely troubled in reading this thread. I have read about more disdain, complaining, and general bashing of Hal then I have elsewhere in a long time. And IMHO much, if not most of it, is unwarranted.

I have found HAL to be a quite enjoyable line to cruise, the ships reasonably maintained, the food just fine and the entertainment, OK, interesting but not to my personal utmost enjoyment.

I have found all of the officers friendly and interesting to converse with. I have seen no “avoiding” of passengers by any of the crew. I also have not experienced any inappropriate conversation subjects (i.e. complaints) mentioned on our meals with the senior officers on virtually every cruise.

It is hard for me to get my arms around people who obviously feel strongly that things are not going well, but who keep taking advantage of the opportunity to cruise on HAL I guess it’s just that some people simply enjoy complaining.

Off my soapbox now.

Scott & Karen

I, for one, am extremely troubled in reading this thread. I have read about more disdain, complaining, and general bashing of Hal then I have elsewhere in a long time. And IMHO much, if not most of it, is unwarranted.

I have found HAL to be a quite enjoyable line to cruise, the ships reasonably maintained, the food just fine and the entertainment, OK, interesting but not to my personal utmost enjoyment.

I have found all of the officers friendly and interesting to converse with. I have seen no “avoiding” of passengers by any of the crew. I also have not experienced any inappropriate conversation subjects (i.e. complaints) mentioned on our meals with the senior officers on virtually every cruise.

It is hard for me to get my arms around people who obviously feel strongly that things are not going well, but who keep taking advantage of the opportunity to cruise on HAL I guess it’s just that some people simply enjoy complaining.

Off my soapbox now.

Scott & Karen

colour me confused:confused:

I didn't see bashing of HAL. I saw people reporting bad behaviour of others which helps to explain things and some concern.

There's a big difference IMO.

colour me confused:confused:

I didn't see bashing of HAL. I saw people reporting bad behaviour of others which helps to explain things and some concern.

There's a big difference IMO.

I agree. This thread is about the consequences of bad behaviour on the part of certain passengers. People are generally not bashing HAL. They are lamenting that so many people have no idea of where it is appropriate to launch a complaint and where it is not.

It is no more appropriate to buttonhole a ship's officer about your issue during a social event than it is to use a social situation to quiz a lawyer about a legal question or to ask a doctor about your sciatica. That is what this thread is about and I think most posters recognise that.