2015 Editors' Picks Awards: River Cruise Lines

Host Jazzbeau

Thank you, Mark T. It is from reading the CroisiEurope catalogue that I found out one can actually sail the Neckar on a cruise ship. The "international" large vessels all stop in Mannheim or Speyer on the Rhine to bus people to Heidelberg on the Neckar. CroisiEurope and some other German or continental-European companies actually sail the Neckar past Heidelberg on some itineraries.

I do not know why that is and if there are restrictions on the river and its locks.

So much out there to find out about, I feel somewhat a little sorry for North-American cruisers if the editors' pick reflects what is available to the general public in the US and Canada. Although I am sure the companies mentioned have had thousands of satisfied customer apart from the ones here on CC that report so happily from on board the ships and after their return home. :)

notamermaid

I don't see how anything can sail past Heidelberg, unless there is a canalized portion of the river not visible in this photo:

443365355_P1030590(1).jpg.d9cdac83e1f4cb02de9696e305b944f2.jpg

Hello hostjazzbeau,

I should correct myself in that I knew about commercial shipping on a small basis on the Neckar. But I have just found a comprehensive site that states in German that the river has 27 locks. They are big enough for commercial shipping on a large scale, at least as big as the Moselle. Possibly as big as some locks on the Rhine. It would be too time-consuming at the moment for me to compare in detail.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell where the photo you have posted has been taken. Otherwise I would check if the old river and a canal run side by side in that section. Perhaps the lock next to the weir is just hidden from view in the photo. Here is a photo of the lock at Heidelberg: http://rhein-neckar-wiki.de/Datei:Karlstorschleuse_HD.jpg

notamermaid

I don't see how anything can sail past Heidelberg, unless there is a canalized portion of the river not visible in this photo:

If that is where I think it is, the canal section runs right along side the river but is not clearly visible in the photo.

Check it out on Google Earth...

Hello hostjazzbeau,

I should correct myself in that I knew about commercial shipping on a small basis on the Neckar. But I have just found a comprehensive site that states in German that the river has 27 locks. They are big enough for commercial shipping on a large scale, at least as big as the Moselle. Possibly as big as some locks on the Rhine. It would be too time-consuming at the moment for me to compare in detail.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell where the photo you have posted has been taken. Otherwise I would check if the old river and a canal run side by side in that section. Perhaps the lock next to the weir is just hidden from view in the photo. Here is a photo of the lock at Heidelberg: http://rhein-neckar-wiki.de/Datei:Karlstorschleuse_HD.jpg

notamermaid

The picture was taken from Heidelberg Castle.

When on a mobile browser you sometimes have the option to disable images to reduce the use of data and speed up browsing, I wonder if that is the problem for you?

Actually I can see many pictures... 3 out of 4 are fine. Sometimes on a single poster I can see the first 2 posted, 3rd is Broken and the next couple fine. Very weird. I'm on an iPhone 6 and using Tapa Talk.

Just thought it was odd!

Actually I can see many pictures... 3 out of 4 are fine. Sometimes on a single poster I can see the first 2 posted, 3rd is Broken and the next couple fine. Very weird. I'm on an iPhone 6 and using Tapa Talk.

Just thought it was odd!

Try using Safari and see if that fixes it.

By the way, you all should see the feathers flying on the Oceania forum since their favorite cruise line didn't win any of these awards this year!

Oh my 😳 Let's see Viking Star vs Oceania Marina & Riviera?Cruise Critic just gets more and more entertaining. How is this even possible ??

Oh my 😳 Let's see Viking Star vs Oceania Marina & Riviera?Cruise Critic just gets more and more entertaining. How is this even possible ??

When they're not bashing newbies who have the temerity to not love Oceania, the Oceania regulars have been complaining about cutbacks among themselves. And the Viking Oceans ships look very nice -- I guess the editors are optimistic that this year's series of disasters was just teething problems. Also, brand new ships always get bonus points in all surveys just because the paint is so sparkly! [Me, I prefer the ship to have a little patina -- to match my own! ;)]

By the way, you all should see the feathers flying on the Oceania forum since their favorite cruise line didn't win any of these awards this year!

Oh my... and you call yourself a Host? Quite frankly, we like Oceania and also other cruise lines and do not bother with what the CC awards say. There are many not on the list ex: SeaDream...it is all a personal choice but I do feel a Host on these Boards should be neutral. How disappointing:(

Oh my... and you call yourself a Host? Quite frankly, we like Oceania and also other cruise lines and do not bother with what the CC awards say. There are many not on the list ex: SeaDream...it is all a personal choice but I do feel a Host on these Boards should be neutral. How disappointing:(

What's not neutral about calling out bullies?

I love Newyorker fights.... have you been on many river cruises.

Nuetrality.... I love Switzerland. I can't imagine having no opiinon in WWII like they did, but still neutrality is awesome.

I am pretty sure the hosts here don't work for the cruiselines. In the case of most hosts, they are not even paid. They volunteer to keep the crazies from killing each other. Not sure that they are successful, but you have to give them credit for trying....

just saying. Could care less who wins these stupid paid for awards, but that is just me.

jc:D

Humm I would like to enjoy Oceania but just having a hard time saying good bye to Regent [emoji41]

Love you darling, even though yoou never sent me Kady's email address.

That said, Regent and Oceania suck big time, as neither have a flowrider. What is an ocean cruise without a flowrider.... that would be pointless.

This posting brought to you by the good people of flowrider.... can I offer you a 38 inch shuvit or perhaps a 41 inch outlaw.

jc

Love you darling, even though yoou never sent me Kady's email address.

That said, Regent and Oceania suck big time, as neither have a flowrider. What is an ocean cruise without a flowrider.... that would be pointless.

This posting brought to you by the good people of flowrider.... can I offer you a 38 inch shuvit or perhaps a 41 inch outlaw.

jc

Yikes! I gave her your message and she said she would contact you! But I have her cell phone number[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4] want it?

Oh and you don't want to see me on a Flowrider, EVER [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Edited by JVilleGal

What is an ocean cruise without a flowrider....

I think I have the right answer to that question...

Perfection! :)

It is indeed fortunate that we don't all like the same things in our cruise ships, I'm all for diversity and long may you be able to find ships that have your flowrider onboard, as long as they keep them off my ships :)

Humm I would like to enjoy Oceania but just having a hard time saying good bye to Regent [emoji41]

Exactly the same for us, we keep hoping that Regent will see sense and reverse a few of the decisions they have taken in recent years but sadly I don't think it is likely.

I think I will stick to the river cruise board when I read hostjazzbeau's info on the bashing going on in some ocean cruise board threads... We are all so nice to each other here. :)

And I might stick to my ferries and river boats with all this rushing to get a deck chair and those flowriders on ocean liners. ;) Yes, I admit, I had to look up what they are.

I get enough entertainment from watching British kids on those motorbike ride simulators on the ferries. And trying to feel well enough to enjoy coffee and muffins.

Still, some relatives loved their Mediterranean cruise. I might have a look at the editors' picks awards after all.

notamermaid