Reflection or Silhoutte in March

love-to-cruise2

Hi there. Was hoping to get some feedback. Husband and I were planning on going on either of these cruises in March. Now my college daughter 20 and my other daughter 23 want to tag along. We are going on the youngest daughter spring break from college. I know that this isn't going to be a "wild" spring break cruise but was wondering between the 2 ships which one is better. The Reflection got rid of their dance club but they still have it on Silhoutte. Which entertainment is better between these 2 ships? Don't say to go on Rccl we our diamond members and wanted a change. We have been on Allure and Oasis twice each and wanted to try something different. Hoping that there are other families that will be brining their college age kids too. Again we are going mid March

ti

Hi there. Was hoping to get some feedback. Husband and I were planning on going on either of these cruises in March. Now my college daughter 20 and my other daughter 23 want to tag along. We are going on the youngest daughter spring break from college. I know that this isn't going to be a "wild" spring break cruise but was wondering between the 2 ships which one is better. The Reflection got rid of their dance club but they still have it on Silhoutte. Which entertainment is better between these 2 ships? Don't say to go on Rccl we our diamond members and wanted a change. We have been on Allure and Oasis twice each and wanted to try something different. Hoping that there are other families that will be brining their college age kids too. Again we are going mid March

If you like activities and excitement, you're in for a letdown after the Oasis and Allure.:cool:

ti

If you like activities and excitement, you're in for a letdown after the Oasis and Allure.:cool:

Second that!

A Celebrity sailing is like being at the Country Club.

The Reflection is our favorite ship, we are Diamond on RCCL too.

The entertainment is lame compared to RCCL, but we are not song an dance show lovers. They normally have a wonderful jazz vocalist and group that play in one of the lounges. We had Ray Brown Jr. last yr on the Equinox.

The GastroPub, and the Martini Bar have nothing to compare on RCCL. Vintages and Cellar Masters are close.

The specialty restaurants on Celebrity have bumped Chops out of the top spot on our list.

The S-Class design never has felt crowded.

It doesn't read like Celebrity is what you are looking for either, sorry.

Thank you but I don't want it wild and crazy. We have done the Allure and Oasis. We wanted something more upscale and want to go to the pay for restaurants and a more sophisticated cruise. I was looking at the dailies for the reflection carribbean sailing and they have dj's at the sky deck, martini bar and have a carribbean sail away party with dj' on the pool deck. Is this misleading and everyone goes to bed at 10? We are not late night people when we vacation. 12 or 12:30 am at the latest. Is this still the wrong cruise for us?

Thank you but I don't want it wild and crazy. We have done the Allure and Oasis. We wanted something more upscale and want to go to the pay for restaurants and a more sophisticated cruise. I was looking at the dailies for the reflection carribbean sailing and they have dj's at the sky deck, martini bar and have a carribbean sail away party with dj' on the pool deck. Is this misleading and everyone goes to bed at 10? We are not late night people when we vacation. 12 or 12:30 am at the latest. Is this still the wrong cruise for us?

This more describes how we see a sailing on Celebrity. Now I would feel confident that we have not candy coated and led you down a rose colored path only to be disappointed;) Reads like a good fit.

Most people are in bed by 11.

There used to be back to back live music by the pool but there have been cutbacks. Most of the time there is a dj by the pool. Note that there have been major cutbacks in the activities staff. I am concerned that these cruises are not port intensive and there is a lot of time on the ship.

The specialty restaurants are really nice.

They are very similar ships. I would make the ports the deciding factor. I think you will enjoy Celebrity as will the DD's. In March there should be others their age on board. We have spend many nights hanging with the 20-35 crowd and while we have enjoyed our cruises on Royal, Celebrity is our line of choice.

We were just on Silhouette in the Baltics. It was a huge family oriented cruise with people from ALL over the world. There were many families from Spain with children your age and it was a pretty good party crowd. The martini bar was happening every night with the dj. We would go by for a bit but were exhausted from our long days in port. It was packed with people really taking advantage of the alcohol package and dancing the night away. We were friendly with the bartenders there and they would tell us that it shut down at 4am the night before. This went on every night. Funny how people we spoke with that had went to bed early knew nothing about this. It wouldn't get started until late in the evening.

Celebrity is working hard at bringing a younger demographic. We had heard that they were bringing in Miami DJs on the Caribbean sailings. I haven't sailed with them in the Caribbean lately so I'm not sure if this is working or not. Just for the fact that you are leaving from South Florida, you will be sure to have latins aboard and they like to have fun! It is March and you will have Spring breakers and families. I know people who went on the 5 day Constellation last March and it was crowded with college kids. You will not find the same entertainment that you do on RCCL; Broadway show, comedy club, pool games, the quest, etc (at least we didn't see that on our last Celebrity cruise) but you will be happy with the specialty dining. I think if you set your expectations to be lower, in terms of entertainment, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Also, not sure where these itineraries are but if you could get to Cozumel, the girls could really get a taste of spring break by stopping into Carlos and Charlies and having some fun. I think that a Western route might be more fun with Mexico and Jamaica. You could go ziplining or to the falls in Jamaica and do a jet ski tour in Grand Cayman. Those excursions will add to their experience.

Since you asked about the SHIPS, not the virtues of Celebrity, I will answer your question by saying that the ships are almost identical. Pick for the itinerary. The differences are very subtle, there is an additional floor of cabins on Reflection and a few people have mentioned that it feels more crowded but not significantly so. Either will be great.

Edited by CathyCruises

For us we are in our early...ish 40's and have done a few cruises with celebrity over the last 3 years... We did the silhouette last March and found this to be the younger crowd of the lot... Not that it was all spring breakers but it seemed a good mix and we found it to be lively at nights then other celebrity cruises we have been on... I'm sure not as lively as rcl or carnival but you have mentioned that's not really what you want...

We are booked on the reflection next March and the silhouette again the following March so for us it's a great time to go to escape the English weather...

As for the differences in ships... As mentioned there pretty much the same as in bars & restaurants and entertainment so I'd choose on the ports of call... Which ever one you go for you will be in for a treat and make sure you try the lawn grill at least once 😋 IMHO the best food/dining experience on the ship...

If you choose the reflection let us know and we will look out for you 😊

Thank you all for your input. We are doing a western carribbean sailing so we will do something fun at the ports. I spoke to my girls and they both want to try Celebrity even though the nightlife isn't that great. They both said that is not what they are looking for. My daughter goes to a Big 10 school so she said she doesn't want it to be crazy. She said she gets that all school year and wants a "break. They also like great dinners and our kind of "foodies". So if the two ships are similar, we will stick with my original choice which is Celebrity Reflection

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your input. We are doing a western carribbean sailing so we will do something fun at the ports. I spoke to my girls and they both want to try Celebrity even though the nightlife isn't that great. They both said that is not what they are looking for. My daughter goes to a Big 10 school so she said she doesn't want it to be crazy. She said she gets that all school year and wants a "break. They also like great dinners and our kind of "foodies". So if the two ships are similar, we will stick with my original choice which is Celebrity Reflection

Thanks again!

Which date are you looking at?

Which ever you decide on you won't be disappointed [emoji4] great ships, great crew, great food... O and the martinis aren't too bad either [emoji483][emoji39]

We were on the Reflection in January/ February and found there to be plenty to do after the late shows and plenty of people there. The CD, Alex Y., was particularly good at planning innovative, high-quality late-night events that were well-attended and well-received. These included a Mad Hatter party, electronica under the stars (pool loungers made up into comfy beds), a Moroccan-themed hookah bar party, Indulgence, etc.

If your sailing is anything like ours was, you should find plenty to do yet still have the upscale feel you are seeking.

Thanks again!

Wonderful choice! You will not be sorry for the choice, the DD's will have a relaxing break between hitting the books. :eek:

MANY MANY spring breakers on this cruise (about 2/3 of ship) but it was a 5 day.

In March, you will will still find a significant spring break contingency & a livelier mood overall.

I think you & your girls will have a great time. Our DD16 & DS20 did (altough they kept getting asked if they wanted a drink by bartenders!!!--yes, alcoholic!:eek: Luckily DD doesn't drink, and DS rarely did unless we bought him one)

MANY MANY spring breakers on this cruise (about 2/3 of ship) but it was a 5 day.

In March, you will will still find a significant spring break contingency & a livelier mood overall.

I think you & your girls will have a great time. Our DD16 & DS20 did (altough they kept getting asked if they wanted a drink by bartenders!!!--yes, alcoholic!:eek: Luckily DD doesn't drink, and DS rarely did unless we bought him one)

Which cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again!

Traveled on the Silhouette last January and we loved it, you meet new people every day with 2800 passengers. College kids will love Celebrity's up scale service and the lay out of ether Ship. The out door lounge areas are roomy and you can always find a space to chill or Party. We loved the Silhouette so much that we booked the Reflection this January because it was. Little newer ship and just want a similar Ship as the Reflection, plan good excursions for the kids and they will love the ship. Have fun and enjoy.. Make sure you have all the great Perks that Celebrity is offering . Great Vacation Value.

Thanks again!

Hi! We (myself and my teenage daughter) have sailed both ships for Spring Break and I would second your choice of Reflection.

We were on her for a spring break B2B this year, and enjoyed it so much, we booked the identical trip on board for next year :) One of the things your girls might enjoy are the Miami South Beach Style parties that they have in the Solarium at night (If memory serves me right this was a series of three parties complete with a mermaid in the pool and DJ spinning dance music).

My daughter is only 15, so we didn't attend, but we were (and will be again) in an SS just below the solarium so could hear the music out on our balcony and the MC etc and it sounded like fun. And no it didn't end at 9 or 10 pm lol...as I recall it went till either midnight or a little later.

Net net - I'm pretty sure they will be able to find some ways to have fun on this one.

Just an observation: I do find these particular cruises (that coincide with spring/easter break) tend to "age down" a little since a lot of your usual celebrity cruisers tend to worry about these cruises being over run with kids and teens and therefore opt to avoid them in favor of cruises that happen when the kids are in school.

See you on board!!!

We now have switched ships from Reflection to Silly. The only reason for switching was I got better air fare for the March 13 sailing then the March 12 sailing. We are flying into Fll instead of Miami. We are all looking forward to it. Thank you everyone for your input