Mystery Dinner

CCC3

So...has anyone gone to the Mystery DInner RC offers? We wanted to go last summer but it was Sunday night...and I totally forgot about it! What was the food like, and was the "mystery" part fun?

So...has anyone gone to the Mystery DInner RC offers? We wanted to go last summer but it was Sunday night...and I totally forgot about it! What was the food like, and was the "mystery" part fun?

Just did it last Wed. on Jewel, previous posters summed it up, Fillet was great, DW enjoyed her shrimp. They started out in the Safari Club at 6:00 with Champaign and appetizers, moved to Portifino after "The Murder", it was fun but took 3 1/2 hours in all, it was worth it but wouldn't go every cruise. :)

We did it on the explorer and yes there was plenty of wine and great food. The show was very funny too the acting was cheesy but had a great time go for it .

Ditto

We've done it twice and we are doing it again this Christmas cruise on the Freedom. A little cheesy but that's the fun part in my opinion.

We did it once in August - had a great time, but for us, I probably wouldn't do it again (for a few years at least).

Everyone had to write down who they thought was the murderer ... they collected the information .... I'm sure that the ending supported what the majority wrote down ... They most likely have alternative endings. Jan

DH and I were disappointed with the Mystery Dinner Theater experience on our recent sailing on Liberty of the Seas. There was no initial gathering place other than in front of Portofino where a few people close to the entrance were offered a glass of champagne...the waiter holding the tray did not circulate to offer a glass to anyone else outside his immediate vicinity.

When we entered the restaurant we had hoped to be seated with our friends (another couple) who had booked the Mystery Dinner online a few weeks after we did. Portofino manager Hira Thapa informed us that would be impossible since all seating was arranged in order of booking online.

Not only were we not seated with our friends, we were not seated with anyone else at all. Instead, DH and I were placed alone at a small table for two, which was off to the side and unfortunately right beside the partition to the very noisy kitchen entrance. In a room full of people, all sitting together at large tables, we were the only people seated with no-one else. DH and I only booked this event because we'd been looking forward to a fun, social evening with others as we all tried to 'solve the murder' together. Instead, we watched everyone else laughing, socializing, and having a great time as the drinks flowed.

In spite of repeated requests to Hira Thapa to join any table where we could be with others, he kept answering that this would not be possible. Happily, our friends got to be part of a long table of about twenty and they had a great time there.

We have no idea who 'committed the murder' because we left after the main course. Our evening turned out to be a disappointing and expensive solitary dinner for two. We had already eaten in Portofino the night before the Mystery Dinner Theater experience, so we weren't there for the food....it was the promise of a fun social evening (as we've experienced at similar events on other lines) that led us to book.

Other than this, we had a great cruise on Liberty and we didn't let it affect our vacation. We will, however, give this event a pass on any future RCI cruises.

If you book the Mystery Dinner Theater, and the social component of the evening matters to you, it might be a good idea to see the restaurant manager when you board about the seating arrangements. DH and I are both retired and spend a lot of time together at home.....I wish we'd thought of checking out our seating beforehand.

Which Ships do the Mystery Dinner? We are going on the Brilliance soon.

Thanks!

I believe any ship with a Giovanni's or Portofino restaurant. However, I've noticed that on some short itineraries, it's not offered.

How far out to they start taking reservations? Our group of 6 would like to do this, and since we have 5 sea days, I am pretty sure we should have this on our ship.

thanks for any info on this.

Just like everything else, there is no set time. Keep checking the website.