Check in time

Me and my husband are going on the Breakaway tomorrow and our check in time is 9:30. However, my brother is coming as well and his check in time is 12:00. Is it possible for him to check in with us, or they won't allow it?

They don't really enforce the check in times. It is better to check in around 11:00. Boarding starts 11:30 (although it is printed as noon on your edocs). Getting checked in and onboard early allows you to beat the crowds both at the dock and where ever you want to have lunch (be the first to grab a window table in the Garden Cafe buffet vs. fighting for a table at 12:30.).

They don't really enforce the check in times. It is better to check in around 11:00. Boarding starts 11:30 (although it is printed as noon on your edocs). Getting checked in and onboard early allows you to beat the crowds both at the dock and where ever you want to have lunch (be the first to grab a window table in the Garden Cafe buffet vs. fighting for a table at 12:30.).

That's good to know. This is my first experience with a check in time. In the past we've just arrived early.

Can I check, if you are on board before midday you will not be able to get into your cabin but bars and restaurants will be open?

Pretty much yes, for example MDR opens for lunch only at noon. Cabins are ready often between 1pm and 2pm.

I thought I read somewhere that you could drop your carry on off in your room before it is ready?

In my experience the doors to cabin corridors are often kept shut to allow the stewards to do their job. Sometimes you can take your carryons to the cabin but that is not official policy and since the doors are propped open, anybody can go in there and grab those.

NCL has a carryon dropoff for few hours usually in a lounge somewhere where you can drop off your carryons while you have lunch but we always prefer MDR for lunch and usually keep our belongings with us.

Never heard a word about that. Our cabin attendant was there, the cabin was ready, he welcomed us and said it was fine to leave our bag. ;)

The guy that hopes you are going to give him a good tip tells you it's ok, although the cruise line says no. Hmmmm. For those that follow this info, be aware the rooms are left open as needed and your gear will be in there. They have a secure place for your carry on's that has security. They close the doors and ask the guests to stay out of the rooms and corridors for a reason.

I thought I read somewhere that you could drop your carry on off in your room before it is ready?

A few times that has been announced. However, lately the doors to those deck corridors have been closed until all rooms were ready. It varies by ship I guess. I think the guests doing so does slow down the cabin stewards opportunity to get the cabins ready.

No. You are explicitly told NOT to enter the cabin areas until invited by the cruise director. Usually around 1:30. Wait until you are told rooms are available

Good gosh. The elevators were full with people doing the same and no doors were closed. No one said anything about waiting on our sailing. Such nit picking.

I was just posting our experience. :)

Edited by janetz