Fly to Iceland

bella c

One of the better values for visiting Iceland is to use the Icelandair offers. They have both Iceland only packages and stopover packages using Iceland as a transfer point. Icelandair owns three hotels, including the Hilton, so they can package air and hotel and tour together at an attractive price.

You don't even need to book a package - all Icelandair flights include up to a 7 day stopover without any extra charges.

Also check WOW, who announced some insanely cheap flights to Europe for 2016 - albeit with lots of extra charges for bags, seat selection etc. that will bump your fare up from the basic <$200.

You don't even need to book a package - all Icelandair flights include up to a 7 day stopover without any extra charges.
That is true. However, you can save money by using the Icelandair hotels - and I can highly recommend the Hilton if that's the style you are interested in.

That is true. However, you can save money by using the Icelandair hotels - and I can highly recommend the Hilton if that's the style you are interested in.

Some of the hotel packages are good deals, but local apartment rentals are plentiful and even better value in Reykjavik - I found the location of the Hilton, a chain I'm happy with generally, too far from good bars & restos; it's a little too business-y in the immediate area.

I don't know about IcelandAir, but Wow Air (another Icelandic airline) charges $38 or more per checked bag with no free allowance. The baggage fees with a stopover are higher than just connecting in Iceland. Something to be aware of when pricing flights.

Between US and Iceland: $48 per bag

Between Iceland and Europe: $38

Between US and Europe via Iceland: $67

http://wowair.us/travel-info/fees-charges/

Edited by Underwatr

We took a flight on Iceland air from Anchorage to Heathrow. We stopped in Reykjavik just for an hour.

Our flight included 2 free bags from the US and 1 free from Europe. Since we took a cruise from England back to the U.S. the return flight was not needed.