Question for everyone.

jpcdds6

I think that more and more people are researching cruises, ships and ports online so it follows that more and more will most likely run into cruise critic posts. I started cruising way back where you went to a travel agency and picked up a cruise brochure:rolleyes: Wish I had found this forum earlier, but now I'm checking it all the time.

This is pretty much how I found out about CC. I was looking for specific info and googled it. Cruise Critic kept on coming up and so I looked into it. Glad I did!

Does anyone have any idea as to how many of our fellow passengers on any given cruise are using Cruise Critic? I know that there are a lot of repeat cruisers on most ships, but are we, the roll call members, and the frequent posters, in the minority? Or do most of the people on board know who Frank Del Rio is, and who Kevin Sheehan was?

how many people know the current ceo of Walmart, Apple, or General Motors? Who is the President of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US military or the UN...Heck- how many people know who the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is???

Answer: about the same % who use CC

On a Sun Panama Canal cruise this year one of the trivia teams was CC, and the staff joked that they had to be careful about treating them well. No one else at trivia claimed to know anything about cc except me, and they said few were at the m&g, and it was a very old cruise with only 3 children being spotted in 19 days. From talking to other cruisers on 12 and 7 day cruises, I got the idea that about 5% were CC people.

how many people know the current ceo of Walmart, Apple, or General Motors? Who is the President of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US military or the UN...Heck- how many people know who the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is???

Answer: about the same % who use CC

C. Douglas McMillon, Tim Cook, Mary T. Barra, Martin E. Dempsey(chairman), Mogens Lykketoft(that was a tough one), and John G. Roberts.

We cruise NCL and Celebrity and always seem to have more cc at the meet and greet on Celebrity.

Another interesting point is what people pay for their cruise. A couple of times, we have discussed with our table of 8 what we paid for our cruise. Everyone in a balcony. It was surprising in one Australian cruise we did, the other three couples all paid more that us. The cruise prices dripped three times and you had to keep up with the changes and call to get the new lower prices. Others did not keep up as well and paid more.

In another case, we found we paid about the same, except for the one couple that booked very late and got great discounts.

According to a web search CC has just over 1mil members.

1) But how many are really active?

2) have multiple accounts

3) joined and never came back

Ect...

So, let's say 1/3 are active participants at any given time. That's 300>400k people. It's a very tiny fraction of the cruising population.

However, I bet there are 4 to 5x the number of members who view the site and never joined. They would be the majority.

No offense to the CC staff or the posters here but CC isn't as big a deal as many would believe. Also, as far as DelRio and Sheehan go, most people on board probably not only don't know who they are but most likely don't care.

I'll admit it, I have no idea who they are! Do I need to know this?

I'll admit it, I have no idea who they are! Do I need to know this?

No one needs to know who they are unless you are a stockholder. The point that was made is that if you are a cruise critic regular, than you are likely to have heard their names on various posts.

When I joined CC, the general consensus was that about 2% of cruisers were on CC, and maybe another 1% were aware of it. Technology has changed and people look up all kinds of info all the time. But as that number has grown, so has the size and number of ships. Makes me think the percentage is probably still in the same range.

According to a web search CC has just over 1mil members.

1) But how many are really active?

2) have multiple accounts

3) joined and never came back

Ect...

So, let's say 1/3 are active participants at any given time. That's 300>400k people. It's a very tiny fraction of the cruising population.

However, I bet there are 4 to 5x the number of members who view the site and never joined. They would be the majority.

Your number is waaaaay too high.

CC has 1,319,983 members. Of those, only 23,318 have made at least one post (what I'd consider a minimum level of activity) ever. That means that only 1.8% of Cruise Critic Members have ever bothered to even make one post.

Far more people with memberships who simply view the site and never post anything.

Does anyone have any idea as to how many of our fellow passengers on any given cruise are using Cruise Critic? I know that there are a lot of repeat cruisers on most ships, but are we, the roll call members, and the frequent posters, in the minority? Or do most of the people on board know who Frank Del Rio is, and who Kevin Sheehan was?

Maybe 1% - 2%

Most people have no idea who Frank Del Rio or Kevin Sheehan are or what they do for a living.

One of NCL's post cruise survey questions asks if you've ever heard of cruisecritic.com, and the follow-up is if you leave and/or read reviews.

Interesting. I just got an NCL survey last week (cruised Sept. 28) and it did NOT have those questions on it.

For the Meet & Greet, I always wear the Cruise Critic tee shirt I bought on the CC website.

After the M & G, other passengers on the ship always ask me if I'm a real cruise critic!!! They want to know what I think of that particular ship. Remember, this is the first sea day. We haven't even been aboard for much more than 24 hours.

Of course, I answer as politely as possible.

Then I encounter some CC members who didn't attend the Meet & Greet. They think my tee shirt was given out at the M & G. They want to know if they can get one too.........for free!

I tell them the shirts are on the website.........for $12.

NCL thinks so. I think they took note of the posts after they instituted that stupid " no food in your cabin " rule a few months ago.

CC had about 1/100th the amount of people blowing up about that as a certain well-known social media site. But yeah, I'm sure that 1/100th helped. Every little bit helped change that stupid rule.