Scary Cruise on the Eurodam

JanetDeV

My sympathies to those that are especially motion-sensitive or get concerned about ship safety in turbulent weather. And surely the Captain is in the best position to decide whether to seek shelter in a harbor (which can have it's own negative consequences) or stay at sea where there is room to maneuver. I well remember the Prinsendam incident off the tip of South America cited above, I was on another HAL ship at the time and we received several reports from our Captain about it.

I've had a few rough voyages, one particularly vicious one on the QE2 on a transatlantic, another on the old Noordam or Nieuw Amsterdam when we caught the tail of Hurricane Floyd. If I can figure how to post a photo I'll show one taken from the rear of the Crow's Nest of Rotterdam on a Rotterdam to NYC crossing a few years back. White water over the top of the Crow's Nest windows on occasion, after about 24 hours it was all over. Lots of green faces and folks in discomfort who had my sympathy but I loved every second of it.

OMG! Stuff must have been sliding around like mad! I generally enjoy rough weather at sea, but I feel guilty about my enjoyment when so many others are miserable.

On our very first cruise (HAL to Bermuda), we had calm seas the whole time and some passengers were complaining that it was "too smooth." I thought they were crazy--who would want rough seas??? Then, on our second cruise (also HAL to Bermuda) we hit rough weather on our return to NYC. I discovered that I loved it! There weren't a lot of people at breakfast that morning, but I noticed that everyone that was there was having a hearty meal.

Not sure why CruiserBruce feels the need to be sarcastic, but experienced cruise passengers were also very frightened that morning. My idea of vacation does not include three hours of terror so I guess cruising will no longer be in our future. Happy sailing to Cruiser Bruce and others who enjoy that sort of thing.

CruiserBruce's comments seem factual and well informed, but I do not detect any sarcasm in that.

JanetDeV...thank you for the info about your extremely worrying experience at sea. Very happy that you survived the troubling situation.

3rdGenCunarder, that really rough crossing on QE2 to Southampton was my first experience with the kind of seas that want to toss you out of your bed, and the first and only time my stomach was kind of delicate, but I had booked Queens Grill class and was absolutely DETERMINED not to miss a meal - and I didn't. And the Queen's Grill was up high in the structure and really rolled! That's why the great classic liners (and some older cruise ships) always had the main restaurant on the lower decks - less motion = less distress to the appetite.

PS - those were the days when, if you booked Cunard's air back to NYC, for $199 you could upgrade to the Concorde!

Edited by Dave in NJ

I'm one of those people who likes rough weather. Not for the entire cruise, mind you. When the ship is rocking I sleep like a baby. On the Maasdam we went through the edge of hurricane Noel. Went to the Crows Nest, got a front row lounge chair, ordered bloody marys and watched from a great vantage point. The most surprising thing was that the MDR was full. No empty seats. I think that most people just go with the flow. The seas were heavy but the ship quartered the waves and road very well.

3rdGenCunarder, that really rough crossing on QE2 to Southampton was my first experience with the kind of seas that want to toss you out of your bed, and the first and only time my stomach was kind of delicate, but I had booked Queens Grill class and was absolutely DETERMINED not to miss a meal - and I didn't. And the Queen's Grill was up high in the structure and really rolled! That's why the great classic liners (and some older cruise ships) always had the main restaurant on the lower decks - less motion = less distress to the appetite.

PS - those were the days when, if you booked Cunard's air back to NYC, for $199 you could upgrade to the Concorde!

I remember those days! Our third voyage was a TA to NYC on QE2. We did not go in a Grills cabin (or on Concorde), we went standby. I still remember it was $999 fly one way, sail home. We had an inside u/l way forward on the lowest passenger deck. I still remember watching a weather report a few days before we were supposed to sail. I said to DH, "Wow, England is going to have terrible weather here! But it doesn't matter to us, we'll be gone by then." Well, DUH, the weather was moving eastward and we sere going to sail westward right through the low. It's the only time I've been seasick on a ship. And it was my own fault. I watched the "view from the bridge" and one up-and-down cycle on the TV knocked me out. It was so rough that freighters were going full throttle and not moving ahead at all! QE2, of course, had the power and shape to sail on through the roughest seas. But it was only about 24 hours, and then I was up and about again.

You're right about the restaurant positions. The restaurant for the "rowers" was just one deck below the Queens Grill. SS Norway (ex France) was built the "old way" with her dining rooms on lower decks. They didn't even have windows, although one had closed shutters on the walls to "fake it."

Trying to remember, didn't the prior Westerdam (ex-Home Line's Homeric) also have the main restaurant on the lowest passenger deck? As did SS Rotterdam of course.

Here's another HAL ship in a bit of a blow, SS Rotterdam which of course was built to keep a North Atlantic schedule so well-constructed to tolerate this kind of weather. This was 1997 on the next-to-last leg of the World Cruise from Lisbon to NYC, she was late arriving and had some passengers who required medical attention - broken bones mostly as I recall. Quite the experience. Photo by the ship's staff taken from the bridge.

676088228_ssRotterdamstorm.jpg.060b33dad9f6c5cbd2d7af7f5c931972.jpg

Edited by Dave in NJ

Nothing in life is a guarantee except that one day it will end.

We all decide what risks we are willing endure in order to enjoy to the fullest our personal wishes. Some people are just fine visiting the Eiffel Tower on TV, books and the Internet. Others want to stand beside it, touch it, take their own photo of it.

None of us can decide what is best for anyone else. If one is so frightened of a particular experience, where is the fun? Why would they expose themselves to that experience without a life or death need to? IF they want to overcome it badly enough, that is up to them and them only.

I fully respect we are all individuals and have to live within our comfort zones. While I love being at sea, someone else prefers their feet to be on dry land.

Trying to remember, didn't the prior Westerdam (ex-Home Line's Homeric) also have the main restaurant on the lowest passenger deck? As did SS Rotterdam of course.

Here's another HAL ship in a bit of a blow, SS Rotterdam which of course was built to keep a North Atlantic schedule so well-constructed to tolerate this kind of weather. This was 1997 on the next-to-last leg of the World Cruise from Lisbon to NYC, she was late arriving and had some passengers who required medical attention - broken bones mostly as I recall. Quite the experience. Photo by the ship's staff taken from the bridge.

Yes and yes.

He was clearly an idiot. I don't think most captains should be compared to him.

I agree with you completely, having be apprised of some of the training and experience the HAL (and I'm sure some captains on other lines have) that the Costa Concordia captain was a grandstanding idiot!

Glad you can overcome your fears, not everyone can. I have had a fear of heights my whole life, so I avoid driving in the mountains.

My last cruise was in 2011 where we hit 25 foot seas on the Pacific Northwest cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles. When the 2nd in command on the Bridge answered a fellow's question about why the ship slowed down, with the statement 'he was afraid the ship was going to break apart' it was enough for me to state I wouldn't be cruising again.

And likewise my last flight was 5 hours of hell from Maui back to Los Angeles. The pilot tried to fly over the storm, under the storm, around storm, all to no avail. Only flight I've ever had the oxygen masks drop down, thus I haven't flown again since then.

I also sat on Jamaica on a land vacation as the hurricane headed toward us, but thankfully shifted direction and skirted the island.

I don't ride helicopters, or zip line, and I would never bungy jump or skydive.

And when I make hotel reservations I ask for ground level or no higher up than 3rd floor. My niece just posted photos on Facebook of her hotel in Vegas from the 51st floor (I wouldn't even go up there).

While I know everything may not be perfect on any type of trip, like the OP, I don't plan to spend any part of my vacation in fear. Not my idea of fun!

Thankfully there are plenty of options for all types of folks to choose from.

Don't get me wrong.....I'm not that brave! I have no desire to bungee jump or sky dive :) I don't try to beat fear just to overcome fear. I just mean that if there is something I enjoy (like cruising) I don't want a scary experience to ruin it for me......however, if the fear overrides the fun, I wouldn't do it. Every one has to find their own comfort zone

If I can figure how to post a photo I'll show one taken from the rear of the Crow's Nest of Rotterdam on a Rotterdam to NYC crossing a few years back. White water over the top of the Crow's Nest windows on occasion, after about 24 hours it was all over. .

I recognize that roll. :)

ROTTERDAM 22 September, 2004. Hurricane Karl.

Loss all power for several hours.

Edited by Topsham

I recognize that roll. :)

ROTTERDAM 22 September, 2004. Hurricane Karl.

Loss all power for several hours.

Kinda like Iberojet's ms Grand Voyager in FEB 2005 in the Med (enroute Tunis to Barcelona with 700 souls on board participating in the Semester at Sea program), Captain;

Rogue wave struck her bridge, disabled electronics which temporarily shut down her engines; footage taken from a Spanish Air Force SAR helo in an orbit above her, just in case. She eventually made it to, I believe, Ajaccio or Cagliari, after her crew were able to restart both engines

We were on our way back to NY, next to last night the seas were rough. I got out of bed and looked out onto the veranda -- I expected to see George Clooney going by -- it felt like the 'Perfect Storm', the ship was 'slamming into the oncoming waves. I went back to bed, what else to do --no distress warnings from the bridge. By the morning the ship was in calmer waters. People we knew were really upset about the previous night -- ok, if we had met them in the middle of the night, I would have agreed -- not in the morning with the smooth seas. It was just a typical north Atlantic squall. No one can predict all weather.

Thank you to everyone for your comments. No, this wasn't our first cruise, nor was it our first time in rough seas. It was, however, our first experience with 90-110 mph gusts of wind. Mathematics tells me that 110 mph is a little bit worse than 75 mph, and I wasn't lying when I said some very experienced passengers who had been on 30-40 cruises were frightened. Since your posts indicate this is a more common occurrence than we knew, we won't be sailing again. Hours of terror are simply not included on our list of vacation wishes. We'll relax on dry land from now on and leave cruising to all of you hardy souls.

Perhaps you might consider River cruising. Never seen a big wave on any of our river cruises!

I have been caught a in rogue storm in the Mediterranean that was pretty scary but still keep cruising.

The previous-to-the-current Westerdam had its dining room VERY low in the ship, not sure if it was the lowest deck or not, but it was low. Had portholes instead of windows.

Kinda like Iberojet's ms Grand Voyager in FEB 2005 in the Med (enroute Tunis to Barcelona with 700 souls on board participating in the Semester at Sea program), Captain;

Rogue wave struck her bridge, disabled electronics which temporarily shut down her engines; footage taken from a Spanish Air Force SAR helo in an orbit above her, just in case. She eventually made it to, I believe, Ajaccio or Cagliari, after her crew were able to restart both engines

Now that was scary!!!

Susan

I am glad that you feel that way. I will be sailing again so and I also feel that the cruise is a safe way to travel. I do not think though that a cruise ship Captain is infallible. The Costa Concordia sinking is proof that a cruise ship Captain can make very serious mistakes.

There is no way that anyone could possibly compare that Costa Concordia's Captain with a HAL Captain.. It was not a mistake.. That idiot was a drunkard, was grandstanding & when the terrible accident occurred he deserted the ship, the passengers & his crew..

I'm one of those people who likes rough weather. Not for the entire cruise, mind you. When the ship is rocking I sleep like a baby. On the Maasdam we went through the edge of hurricane Noel. Went to the Crows Nest, got a front row lounge chair, ordered bloody marys and watched from a great vantage point. The most surprising thing was that the MDR was full. No empty seats. I think that most people just go with the flow. The seas were heavy but the ship quartered the waves and road very well.

My DH is exactly like you .. When we went around the horn, he was wishing for some excitement.. That's when we are on big ship cruises..

However, if we were hit by an unexpected bad storm when we boated, he was all business & extremely careful.. Anyone in the cockpit on an overnight trip was in a life jacket & tied onto the lifelines of our boat..When we were hit by a large thunderstorm in the gulf with lightening all around us, on one overnight trip, I was asleep below deck.. DH woke me up, had me put on my life jacket, tied me onto our life lines in the cockpit & then went to disconnect the electronics.. He was not taking any chances.. I trusted him completely like I would trust any HAL Captain & Crew.

Edited by serendipity1499

Some years ago I read about a voyage on one HAL ship. The ship was hit by a sudden squall. The ship almost went over. Diners at table fell over, everything went off the table onto the floor etc etc. Scary.

Only thing is.... I was on the same cruise. Same dining room. Heck even at exactly time in dinner! Yes, there was a squall... that was obvious. It was mostly calm and then the squall hit and the ship easily went over to starboard... to about three degrees... and when the squall went past... the ship uprighted. No one fell over. Nothing slid off the table.

Hmmmm.... perhaps the upper level of the MDR stayed with the stabilizers and the lower level didn't have them. :eek:

I'm not saying that anything out of line with any comments here on this thread. Just that in that event... one person made up a great story that was just not true.

I wish everyone calms seas.... me too!

We sailed thru the Straits of Messina on the Maasdam while holding onto our glasses and dishes at lunch so they wouldn't slide off the table, all the while trying to stay in our chairs while the ship listed to port. You could hear trays crashing to the floor in the galley. Captain came on intercom afterwards and said in the 40 years he's been sailing, that was the strongest wind sheer he'd ever encountered. A ship is a ship....it moves and goes with the flow. But, I'd rather be on a ship than trapped in a metal tube hurling through the air in turbulance. I hate flying. I love cruising.

I hate flying. I love cruising.

I don't hate flying I would just rather be somewhere else... like in dentist's chair and anyway, no matter how much I flap my arms... I can't fly!

Whenever I fly from Gatwick to Bermuda I go the Caviar House in the main concourse. A small sampler, some perfect smoked salmon... and a glass or two of Chardonnay. If anything happens with that plane... I had a happy 'landing' !

I don't hate flying I would just rather be somewhere else... like in dentist's chair and anyway, no matter how much I flap my arms... I can't fly!

Whenever I fly from Gatwick to Bermuda I go the Caviar House in the main concourse. A small sampler, some perfect smoked salmon... and a glass or two of Chardonnay. If anything happens with that plane... I had a happy 'landing' !

I like your thinking.:D

You could think about cruising during another time than hurricane season.

Seems kind of silly to me to not have thought about the possibilities ahead of time and been prepared to brave it out. Maybe that's because I've lived in Florida all my life and always enjoyed boating. But, isn't that one of the first things they tell you to consider before booking a cruise?

I'm not trying to be mean. Maybe I'm trying to get you to rethink your outlook on the situation. Seems those with this 101 knowledge appreciate good ship design how well the crew handled it.

Not sure why CruiserBruce feels the need to be sarcastic, but experienced cruise passengers were also very frightened that morning. My idea of vacation does not include three hours of terror so I guess cruising will no longer be in our future. Happy sailing to Cruiser Bruce and others who enjoy that sort of thing.

What you experienced is not common. You will run into weather on all cruises. We've been on one where a ship was literally surfing and on another where the ship listed a good bit when it got hit broadside by unexpected weather and it took a few minutes to turn it. Water sloshed out of the pool. Some people were frightened. If you like cruising, it would be a shame to not cruise because of this one event.