The NCL Executive Office Called Me Today...

HuddysDad

Nooooooooo! :eek:

Very disappointing - wonder how they are going to handle this for those of us who pre purchased thermal spa but aren't staying in the Spa cabins. Hoping they refund quickly or as OBC. Would at least like to have the money back to spend in a different way during our vacation.

For what it's worth, I would be very disappointed. I am booked in a Haven Suite for an upcoming cruise. If NCL called and told me that the Haven Courtyard was not available, I don't care how much money they gave me in OBC (how much can you really spend?), I would want to cancel. It's not so much the cost, as it is the atmosphere of the cruise that would be changing. IMO the OP should at least have been offered VIBE or Haven passes to provide them with that exclusive area that they are being forced to give up.

I couldn't get them to tell me why they are making repairs to the whole suite during a booked cruise.
There are booked cruises nonstop year round. They have no choice but to do it during a booked cruise. The only other option would be to cancel the entire voyage and take the ship out of service, and that makes no sense when the repairs are to a small part.

This sucks that it was an important part of your trip and it isn't happening now. I hope you can get Vibe passes, and I hope you still have a great trip.

There are booked cruises nonstop year round. They have no choice but to do it during a booked cruise. The only other option would be to cancel the entire voyage and take the ship out of service, and that makes no sense when the repairs are to a small part.

This sucks that it was an important part of your trip and it isn't happening now. I hope you can get Vibe passes, and I hope you still have a great trip.

Thanks for your response. And now I want a large pizza.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I agree with others that you should call back and renegotiate the terms of this cancellation. On the cruise following yours a spa mini suite is selling for $280 more per person the lowest mini suite. At the very least they owe you a refund of these funds...cash not OBC -- what if you had no intentions of spending $500 on board? That would simply be a refund of the surcharge you paid in order to have a cabin that provided spa access. Then there is the issue of compensation which I think you most definitely should be entitled to. This could be in the form of OBC and a pair of complimentary Vibe passes. Once they see you expect to be adequately made whole for this last minute change on their part then perhaps they might come back with a more acceptable offer of the Haven. Be sure to let them know that you consider a Haven cabin a satisfactory resolution to the issue. If you can get them to agree to this make sure they also through in all the promotional perks that would normally come with a Haven booking but are not included in an up-sell. Don't let them take advantage of this change. Right now they still have all your money and you do not have the cruise experience you booked and paid for.

Best of luck and wishing you a very happy cruise even with the changes.

Rochelle

I agree with others that you should call back and renegotiate the terms of this cancellation. On the cruise following yours a spa mini suite is selling for $280 more per person the lowest mini suite. At the very least they owe you a refund of these funds...cash not OBC -- what if you had no intentions of spending $500 on board? That would simply be a refund of the surcharge you paid in order to have a cabin that provided spa access. Then there is the issue of compensation which I think you most definitely should be entitled to. This could be in the form of OBC and a pair of complimentary Vibe passes. Once they see you expect to be adequately made whole for this last minute change on their part then perhaps they might come back with a more acceptable offer of the Haven. Be sure to let them know that you consider a Haven cabin a satisfactory resolution to the issue. If you can get them to agree to this make sure they also through in all the promotional perks that would normally come with a Haven booking but are not included in an up-sell. Don't let them take advantage of this change. Right now they still have all your money and you do not have the cruise experience you booked and paid for.

Best of luck and wishing you a very happy cruise even with the changes.

Rochelle

You get it. You so get it. You are 100% right completely. OBC has no value if you don't want to use it for anything, but you will always and forever be out the cash you spent for something you can't use. The OBC doesn't even cover both the upcharge for the cabin and Vibe passes, which are a pale replacement anyways for spa access.

This is about getting what you pay for, and if you don't, getting refunded. If they won't refund then they need to step up BIG time with OBC or gratis Haven access.

Are you happy with the $500? You may be able to negotiate a Haven suite for that $500, call them back and tell them that after talking with your DH, he is VERY unhappy and he will only be satisfied with a H9 or any other Hx, it's that time before your cruise that they are offering upsells.

That is a great point

That is a great point

More OBC or free Haven upgrade.

I would not be very inclined to spend more at this point for an upgrade though. I'd just have kind of a sour taste if that happened.

NCL can totally make this right though; the cruise hasn't happened yet so they have the opportunity.

OP should ask for more. NCL doesn't have to say yes. But it opens up negotiations. $500 is too low IMO for the disappointment and barely makes up the premium cost of the room. If a spa suite costs $400 more for two people than a standard mini suite, then really it is only $100 OBC for the inconvenience.

Looking at historical pricing for a spa minisuite on that sailing versus a guarantee minisuite (non spa) depending on when OP booked there could have been as much as a $470 difference in pricing, PER PERSON, for a spa minisuite over a regular minisuite.

I don't think asking for $1K is greedy at all. I think the $500 OBC is an insult. Someone that spends $2500-3000 per room, to basically (MAYBE) get the premium back plus $100 (that won't even cover 2 vibe passes) and you think any more than that is greedy?

A simpler solution would be for NCL to refund OP their money down to whatever the lowest historical cost for a regular minisuite since the spa suite has no benefits now. But that would never happen...

Technically Norwegian doesn't have to give any compensation knowing that 500 is very generous. Yes a thousand is greedy imo

Technically Norwegian doesn't have to give any compensation knowing that 500 is very generous. Yes a thousand is greedy imo

Well, stop for a second and consider that the difference between an M6 Mini Suite and Spa Mini Suite is around $400 per couple to start with. Could be more or less any given day, but that is what the spa passes are worth and probably about the average price difference.

$500 OBC

-$400 (to cover charge for spa versus non spa_

-----------

$100 left to buy two Vibe passes. No. Unacceptable.

Also consider this; OBC isn't actual money. It can be used for services and upgrades, but if OP doesn't want those, it isn't much use. If OP spent, just to use round numbers for discussion sake, $3000 for a spa mini suite versus $2600 for a non-spa mini suite, why should they be out of pocket the $3000? If NCL just refunded them the $400 so they paid what a regular mini suite would cost they would be whole in my opinion; sure the loss of spa is disappointment, but financially speaking at that point they are whole.

Remember, out of the $500 OBC, $400 of that covers money that OP is being forced to "eat". I'd rather have the money refunded to me, then I can decide exactly what to do with it as it is my money, not temporary vacation money that I must spend on things I either don't want or don't need, you follow what I am saying? The refund down to cost of mini suite is the only thing that makes this whole. If NCL won't do that they need to provide a huge free upgrade or a heck of a lot more OBC.

When taken in context $500 OBC is not only NOT generous, it is downright insulting. Norwegian should NOT be keeping money that is paid as a premium for spa access.

Edited by LMaxwell

My preference is the aft penthouse suite. For my next cruise we are booked in a forward suite because that's up by the spa. We intend to get a spa passes for the first time. If the spa was no longer available, I would be very frustrated stuck in the forward cabin when I so much more prefer the aft. Some people might say no big deal… But it would be a big deal to me. Obviously this passenger feels the same way about the situation. That is a big deal to them. So, I must say I feel for them.

I totally agree with the past comments. There is not much in the front of the ship, midship to aft is much more convenient except the spa and vibe. There is no guarantee you will get vibe passes or if the weather will even cooperate.

You probably already have the UBP so I am not sure what you will spend the 500 on, unless you know you like to shop or future cruise rewards. Trips to Atlantis maybe??

I would push and push some more. You should get money back or way more. The prices are so low right now but it was not like that months ago. Just think others will receive this same phone call and some will end up with way more. Let it be you. Get money, more OBC, a better room, location.

The point about construction is really an issue as well. I do wonder what is so wrong it will be closed the entire time.

Trying to think of an analogy to make a better comparison.

Let's say there is a car you want. The car is $25,000. If you want heated seats and a sunroof the price is $26,000.

You place an order for a car with heated seats and sunroof. You pay $26,000.

Just before the car arrives the dealer says "We could not get the car with heated seats and sunroof, so we will give you $1000 credit to use at the dealership for pinstriping, oil changes, and car washes". What?!? No, they should refund the difference and charge you for what you are getting.

NCL is in no position to keep the premium money paid for spa access. At a minimum they should refund the difference in actual money so OP is not out of pocket. this is not a hard concept but some thing NCL is in the right and actually being generous.

I wish these people would do business with me. they could overpay me for something and I can give them a company credit good on mostly nothing.

Trying to think of an analogy to make a better comparison.

Let's say there is a car you want. The car is $25,000. If you want heated seats and a sunroof the price is $26,000.

You place an order for a car with heated seats and sunroof. You pay $26,000.

Just before the car arrives the dealer says "We could not get the car with heated seats and sunroof, so we will give you $1000 credit to use at the dealership for pinstriping, oil changes, and car washes". What?!? No, they should refund the difference and charge you for what you are getting.

NCL is in no position to keep the premium money paid for spa access. At a minimum they should refund the difference in actual money so OP is not out of pocket. this is not a hard concept but some thing NCL is in the right and actually being generous.

I wish these people would do business with me. they could overpay me for something and I can give them a company credit good on mostly nothing.

And maybe you'd actually like to purchase a car WITH the heated seats and sunroof and not "settle" for something less, regardless of whether you're made whole monetarily. Things happen, but I believe that NCL could do better with trying to make this right.

And maybe you'd actually like to purchase a car WITH the heated seats and sunroof and not "settle" for something less, regardless of whether you're made whole monetarily. Things happen, but I believe that NCL could do better with trying to make this right.

Yes. Agreed. In this case it looks like spa access is not an option, unfortunately, for OP. But they deserve to be made whole monetarily at a bare minimum and NCL really isn't doing that.

I hope OP calls back NCL today and pushes harder. It's like everyone says here, if you don't like the answer, call back and ask again. They have a strong case for additional compensation.