The worrisome phone call

Kenster

And it's not uncommon to wait 4+ hours to get in. Word of caution: If you are the least bit claustrophobic, you might want to reconsider this tour. The stairway is exceedingly narrow and very tight. (I was warned and did not go inside since I would have been very uncomfortable)

I am claustrophobic and have an aversion to ladders and narrow staircases. My desire to visit overcame both, but it was a personal challenge for me. This book made a lasting impression on me when I read it in my teens. And a visit to Berlin when I was 16 and the wall very much up and enforced stimulated what has become a life long interest in WWII.

We are headed back to Berlin in 4 weeks for what will be my 6th visit and I am very much looking forward to it.

For those who are unable to purchase Ann Frank House tickets in advance, it may still be possible for you to visit. We were in Amsterdam last April, a very busy time because it was Tulip Season. It was a spur of the moment trip so no chance to plan ahead for tickets. We got in line a little after 8 AM, enjoyed some coffee and conversation with others in line and went right in when they opened at 9. When we came out the line was very long-a few hours at least. We were not on a river cruise so not sure if an early line up is even possible for cruisers but might work out for those spending extra days in Amsterdam.

I am claustrophobic and have an aversion to ladders and narrow staircases. My desire to visit overcame both, but it was a personal challenge for me. This book made a lasting impression on me when I read it in my teens. And a visit to Berlin when I was 16 and the wall very much up and enforced stimulated what has become a life long interest in WWII.

We are headed back to Berlin in 4 weeks for what will be my 6th visit and I am very much looking forward to it.

You're a much braver woman that I am! I couldn't do it....I'm one of those people "open MRI's" were developed for!!

we were in Bunratty Castle in Ireland a couple of years ago in August. Old castle stupid small short stairs leading between levels. We were doing dinner there, with folkloric music in the evening, since we were there on a warm sunny day, we decided to tour the castle before dinner. Nothing worse than being on the 3rd level and trapped in the tiny circular staircases, waiting for those above to move on, and trying to go up... Ugh!!!..

I almost dreaded going back for dinner, but it was fun and stupid, but... ugh!

jc

Not quite the OP's worrisome phone call, but on our upcoming cruise we booked the cheapest panorama class room on our Avalon Visionary room. Deck two near the back, don't really care. So, a month ago an deluxe 300Sq foot suite was available, so I have my TA see what kind of deal they will give me for a cruise leaving in 6 weeks. They want $800 a person, and I really don't care about the cabin, so I go, no thanks.... a couple of weeks pass, there are still cabins available, so Avalon offers me an upgrade to a cabin a few doors down and a few doors closer (less walk) to the lobby dining room for free so I accept the change from cabin 223 to cabin 213. So, 10 days ago, I see the e docs are available, I copy them to my Ipad as a PDF in the Kindle ap, but don't really read them.... A week ago, they arrive in a fancy thing from my TA, I glance at them and really don't look at them. Then this weekend a bit over 2 weeks from leaving I actually look at them.... They seem nice and all.

Then I notice, my cabin was 223, not being at work with my super up to date itinerary, I start to think, no that was my original panorama suite. So, I log into my work computer again my edocs show 223... That can't be right, so I look at my updated invoice and see 213. So, Monday email to my TA, who calls Avalon and assures me that I am in 213 not 223 and that all would be good, but they are sending me new docs direct.

My TA (of over 11 years) teases me about my over planning tendancies and I tell her she can't stop me.

That said, imagine fly to Europe showing up and your original cabin is sold and your new cabin is sold or they can't figure out why you think you should be somewhere else.

jc

Be sure and bring your written change in cabin with you!

No doubt. I am supposed to get new documents direct from Avalon this week. The ohter frustration is I have not been able to look at my edocs on Avalon's website since I discovered this mistake. That said, it still shows me on the sailing.

jc

No doubt. I am supposed to get new documents direct from Avalon this week. The ohter frustration is I have not been able to look at my edocs on Avalon's website since I discovered this mistake. That said, it still shows me on the sailing.

jc

I'm a control freak. Bypass your TA and call Avalon directly and I'm sure they will reassure you. I was told by my TA I was going to get new docs due to a change, never did but all was well onboard.

Enjoy your trip!

We did not book the Anne Frank House ahead of time, so opted for an excursion offered through Avalon the day we embarked for the next day! Yes, it was pricey but it also included more touring time around Amsterdam and no wait in line!! It was well worth it.. I am not sure when I will get back there. So yu weigh your options.

We did not book the Anne Frank House ahead of time, so opted for an excursion offered through Avalon the day we embarked for the next day! Yes, it was pricey but it also included more touring time around Amsterdam and no wait in line!! It was well worth it.. I am not sure when I will get back there. So yu weigh your options.

That works! :) There are some experience that are worth a premium.

Always.....I think whenever there's an optional excursion and it's something you REALLY want to do, pay a little more for the guarantee of not missing it entirely. Like you said, Sue, you never know when/if you'll be back.

I'm a control freak. Bypass your TA and call Avalon directly and I'm sure they will reassure you. I was told by my TA I was going to get new docs due to a change, never did but all was well onboard.

Enjoy your trip!

Went home at lunch time to let the dogs out (bit rainy today) and the new documents had arrived. Showing the correct cabin number.

jc

Hello Kenster

Here's the information we received. I'm wondering what happens to the concert excursion we've booked in Vienna, but will wait and see. See you onboard!

We want to inform you that our Avalon Operations just advised us that due to river bridge construction on Oct25, the ship cannot embark in Vienna but instead in Bratislava.

We will transfer you from Vienna to Bratislava. You will need to call the Cruise Director at least 24 hours prior to OCt25 in order to get exact meeting point in Vienna.

Hello BTKE, I assume you're on board Illumination with us. We left Banburg at noon today-Sunday. Sorry I haven't met you, or if I have, didn't realize you were a Cruise Critic colleague.

I don't know if you'll get this before we go home but

If you see me, say hello. I'm usually wearing a big khaki hat outside and colored polo shirts aboard ship.

Ken and Karin.

Kenster I am hoping you are enjoying the Illumination! I know we sure did last month :)

Having a wonderful time. Near perfect weather. Not a hint of rain. Other cruise lines are making people change ships because the boats can't get through in the low water on the Danube. We had to skip Passau and received the excursion to Salzburg for free as compensation. Other than that-and that was really no problem- it's been perfect.

Having a wonderful time. Near perfect weather. Not a hint of rain. Other cruise lines are making people change ships because the boats can't get through in the low water on the Danube. We had to skip Passau and received the excursion to Salzburg for free as compensation. Other than that-and that was really no problem- it's been perfect.

Glad to hear it!!! :D