Did I make a mistake?

dam64

New to princess so please have patience :-) When I booked my cruise today the lady said you are eligible for an upgrade if one comes along thats what is checked off in your booking because I put a room on hold. I never noticed that. I told her no thanks because we booked a forward facing obstructed deluxe balcony right at the front of the ship on the Royal, its a bigger balcony. Did I make a mistake and reply no, I was thinking any other ODB will be worse probably life boats in front so I declined, now Im thinking what if they upgraded me to a mini suite if it doesn't sell out! Did I make a mistake by telling her no? Has anyone ever been upgraded to a better category?

This is the default for all bookings. What it means is that you give Princess the right to move you to any other cabin as long as it's at least a category higher. You can change that to either No Upgrade or Meta Upgrade Only.

Princess marketing and yield management policy is to now offer upsells rather than free upgrades. Keep that in mind.

I think you did the absolute right thing! We spent 20 days in one of the Deluxe forward facing balconies on the Royal. Since it is the lowest category balcony, you could get upgraded to a smaller balcony.

We loved every minute of the cabin and the balcony. We were in the Caribbean and were able to enjoy sunny days and starry nights on the balcony. Yes, even when we were sailing. It was delightful.

We requested No Upgrade and checked every few days to make sure we hadn't been moved.

Cheers, Denise

New to princess so please have patience :-) When I booked my cruise today the lady said you are eligible for an upgrade if one comes along thats what is checked off in your booking because I put a room on hold. I never noticed that. I told her no thanks because we booked a forward facing obstructed deluxe balcony right at the front of the ship on the Royal, its a bigger balcony. Did I make a mistake and reply no, I was thinking any other ODB will be worse probably life boats in front so I declined, now Im thinking what if they upgraded me to a mini suite if it doesn't sell out! Did I make a mistake by telling her no? Has anyone ever been upgraded to a better category?

Sailing on a cruise in November and we also have same type cabin on front of ship. We were offered upgrade to Mini for extra $$ and turned it down as balcony that we currently have , I think will be awesome. We will still have more balcony space and have a small love seat instead of chair. Will not miss the bathtub and the extra cabin space as we have more space than a regular balcony.

Also the cabins they were offering were not in area we desired to be in.

Hope this helps.

Sometimes we second guess ourselves and we have the best room for us already booked.

No, you didn't make a mistake but we did one time and never again. This so called upgrade was 1 deck below Lido right under Movies Under the Stars. It was on a 15-day to Hawaii and it was torture! Now we say no upgrade unless it's to the Owner's Suite. Not all upgrades IMHO are truly upgrades. Stay where you're at. BTW, we've never been offered anything better than what we already have. We book on the Caribe deck with the larger balconies and have been quite happy with our locations.

Edited by elliair

So a meta upgrade is an interior to balcony, or balcony to mini suite, or mini suite to full suite? Not this silly stuff a few cabins down the hall?

Yes, but only on the new builds which do not have Oceanview cabins. On all other ships the "step up" from an inside is not a balcony, but an Oceanview.

In my opinion it was a mistake. If you get upgraded to something you don't like you can always say no. We have been upgraded from inside to ocean view, inside to balcony and inside to full suite.

No longer the case. Princess may offer an upsell (upgrade at a fee) but upgrades now are within category (balcony to balcony).

No, you didn't make a mistake but we did one time and never again. This so called upgrade was 1 deck below Lido right under Movies Under the Stars. It was on a 15-day to Hawaii and it was torture! Now we say no upgrade unless it's to the Owner's Suite. Not all upgrades IMHO are truly upgrades. Stay where you're at. BTW, we've never been offered anything better than what we already have. We book on the Caribe deck with the larger balconies and have been quite happy with our locations.

That's too bad... I've been offered twice an OV to balcony...

To the OP, just book what you're happy with. Anything else is a bonus.