Really....how safe is tendering ??

Rowsby

Stephen, I have noticed that at muster drills lately, they no longer have the men stand at the back and the women at the front. Does this mean they no longer have women board first?

I certainly hope that is the case because I, for one, would not be separated from my husband in an emergency. I would wait behind until I could board with him.

I also suspect I would not be alone in my refusal to separate from my husband which would result in delays. Allowing spouses to stay together would allow for speedier boarding, which is what I am guessing their thinking might be, seeing as how partners are no longer separated at the drill.

Have a plan! Know how to get to your clothes/shoes/meds, etc and how to get out of your cabin and to your muster station, in the dark if need be. Have a small flash light available to you! When you're in a total power loss situation, emergency lighting should pop on but.....be ready if it doesn't

I travel with chem lights since they will work even when wet. I even take them on land vacations. My brother had to evacuate a hotel in the middle of the night and the emergency lighting didn't come on. The hallway and stairwell were pitch dark and he was the only one with a flashlight.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I travel with chem lights since they will work even when wet. I even take them on land vacations. My brother had to evacuate a hotel in the middle of the night and the emergency lighting didn't come on. The hallway and stairwell were pitch dark and he was the only one with a flashlight.

It pays to be prepared ;)

Stephen, I have noticed that at muster drills lately, they no longer have the men stand at the back and the women at the front. Does this mean they no longer have women board first?

I certainly hope that is the case because I, for one, would not be separated from my husband in an emergency. I would wait behind until I could board with him.

I also suspect I would not be alone in my refusal to separate from my husband which would result in delays. Allowing spouses to stay together would allow for speedier boarding, which is what I am guessing their thinking might be, seeing as how partners are no longer separated at the drill.

That's an interesting observation, and I hadn't thought of the reasoning. I also would not leave my DH, no matter what.

You mean light sticks? We always travel with flashlights, but I never thought about other emergency lights.

In the past... having men in the back...reasons are two fold. First. For the muster, the tall in the back... not so tall... in the front. Easy for the checkers to see. In the old boats... the women should sit in the middle of the boat on the thwarts (seats). Men did seat around the outside of the boat.... to protect the ladies from the weather.

These days....all of the boats are enclosed so the no real problem dealing with the wind and rain.

Passengers in first and second sittings go into the boat first. Anyone else that is 'As you wish'... you get in next. Lido diners... get in LAST.... unless you are Neptune passengers. Heck... we need to keep some old HAL traditions!!!

Stephen

In the past... having men in the back...reasons are two fold. First. For the muster, the tall in the back... not so tall... in the front. Easy for the checkers to see. In the old boats... the women should sit in the middle of the boat on the thwarts (seats). Men did seat around the outside of the boat.... to protect the ladies from the weather.

These days....all of the boats are enclosed so the no real problem dealing with the wind and rain.

Passengers in first and second sittings go into the boat first. Anyone else that is 'As you wish'... you get in next. Lido diners... get in LAST.... unless you are Neptune passengers. Heck... we need to keep some old HAL traditions!!!

Stephen

Wait a minute! I'm going in a Neptune suite this winter. Are you telling me I won't have a private lifeboat???? :eek: :eek: Must go back to the website and check the list of amenities...

Thanks for the explanation of the procedure. Many traditions have a practical root.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

You mean light sticks? We always travel with flashlights, but I never thought about other emergency lights.

Yes, the light sticks. I bought the "military grade" box from Amazon. I used a couple when the electricity went off in our house and was projected to be off for a couple of hours. Safer than candles, especially when left in an unoccupied room. It was definitely useful in the bathroom and I could safely just leave it on the bathroom counter. Not bright enough to read, but lasts several hours. My thought is that I could poke one end in a pocket if necessary, leaving my hands free and still have light enough to see in an emergency without having to hold onto a flashlight, and as I said, they'll work even if they get wet (and underwater, although I hope never to test that out).

Good idea.

Every lifejacket should have one attached. We know we have one with light and battery when immersed... in en emergency... having the light in hand would be helpful for sure. Low lighting in the alleyway is but the light stick would helping to put lifejackets on. Buy in bulk.... HAL could by them for 25 cents. Cheap safety!

Stephen

Good idea.

Every lifejacket should have one attached. We know we have one with light and battery when immersed... in an emergency... having the light in hand would be helpful for sure. Low lighting in the alleyway is but the light stick would helping to put lifejackets on. Buy in bulk.... HAL could by them for 25 cents. Cheap safety!

John Copper... are you reading? Next Safety Meeting on board?;)

Stephen

Have a plan! Know how to get to your clothes/shoes/meds, etc and how to get out of your cabin and to your muster station, in the dark if need be. Have a small flash light available to you! When you're in a total power loss situation, emergency lighting should pop on but.....be ready if it doesn't

I'm guessing that if the power goes out, you cannot access the safe for your passport and money.

Wait a minute! I'm going in a Neptune suite this winter. Are you telling me I won't have a private lifeboat???? :eek: :eek: Must go back to the website and check the list of amenities...

Thanks for the explanation of the procedure. Many traditions have a practical root.

Come on. Just read the amenities....

"Priority EMERGENCY Embarkation" and required....

"Priority EMERGENCY DISembarkation"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. That was a very interesting and logical explanation.

This is probably just wishful thinking....but what is the tendering like in Bora, Bora.....and Moorea....??

I was looking at the 52 day Tales of the South Pacific (26 Sept 2016)....

There are 27 ports (two are overnight)....and 15 of the 27 are tender ports...

No issues tendering in Bora or Moorea. You're in a lagoon with deep water.