2 HAL Ships in San Diego Today (9/28)!

Bill S

There killing me!!! 2 ships sailing without me on one of them!! Oh well my lengthy withdrawl process ends next week when I fall off the wagon and board the Amsterdam for 62 days:D The next time I will see San Diego will be on Dec 7th when we disembark there. :mad:

And so ... she sails off into the sunset. Literally.

zaandamdeparts4.jpg

That is such a great picture, I know that all of you have the same feeling I have as she sails away. I could come very close to tears of joy at this point. I feel so fortunate that I have been able to cruise and know the feeling of that ship sailing out of San Diego. I knowing that in 10 days I will get to do it myself is just a wonderful feeling.:)

Shoot,

Here I sit in San Diego and I had no idea that those two ships were in port today. During one of the newscasts (8:00 a.m. I think) they showed the Royal Caribbean ship in port but never mentioned the HAL ships.

I'm bound and determined to sail one more time on the Ryndam before she leaves us for the "other" coast. It's no secret that I love the S-Class ships. I'm particularly fond of the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam also and will be on the Amsterdam on December 22nd bound for Hawaii.

Greg and Ruth C., I haven't given up hope of being on "The Voyage of the Spammed" believe me, it's just that I've had a rough month (moneywise). Today I made my final payment (for moi, daughter and granddaughter) on the Amsterdam sailing, also a deposit on an Elderhostel trip to England next April/May and, oh yes, there was that car trip that I took with my brother and sister-in-law (who live in Australia and were visiting me) to the Grand Canyon and Santa Fe that I also had to pay for. Looks like I'm going to be on a bread and water diet for a few months until I can get my bank balance up and running again. Let's see, what will be on the menu aboard the Amsterdam December 22nd? No matter - I plan to order one of everything!

Valerie:D

And one last shot of her, taken at extreme maginification and off to the left ... almost out of the field of view ...

zaandamdeparts5.jpg

How great it was to be aboard her a year ago. That was a great cruise.

For photos of that departure -- taken from aboard the ship -- check this page:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/panamacanal/PhotoAlbum25.html

Greg and Ruth C., I haven't given up hope of being on "The Voyage of the Spammed" believe me, it's just that I've had a rough month (moneywise). Today I made my final payment (for moi, daughter and granddaughter) on the Amsterdam sailing, also a deposit on an Elderhostel trip to England next April/May and, oh yes, there was that car trip that I took with my brother and sister-in-law (who live in Australia and were visiting me) to the Grand Canyon and Santa Fe that I also had to pay for.

Yikes!!!!! :eek: :eek:

You remind me of ... ME!

Look ... if you can manage to book Hawaii on the Zaandam by June of 2006, BOOK IT! My goodness ... you've got nine whole months to save up enough to book her!!!!! :)

But, I understand how difficult it can be. There is only so much money to go around. :)

There killing me!!! 2 ships sailing without me on one of them!! Oh well my lengthy withdrawl process ends next week when I fall off the wagon and board the Amsterdam for 62 days:D The next time I will see San Diego will be on Dec 7th when we disembark there. :mad:

Hi Bruce,

By the way, my dearly beloved brother is also named Bruce. How on earth did you manage to get on that 62-day cruise? You must have booked really, really early. I tried every way I could think of to get a booking but the ship was sold out. 62 days - you lucky dog!

If you should happen to run across a dining-room steward by the name of Sinaga please tell him that his mom (American version that is) says "hi" and that I'll see him December 6th in San Diego and then December 22nd aboard the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise and just know that I used to like you a lot but now I'm not so sure since you are going to be in a cabin that I might have had - just joking (I think), Honestly, have a sensational cruise and I am so envious that I can't see straight right now.

An Amtrak train this morning from Santa Barbara & LA to San Diego took several "delays" at various stations along the route. Reason for delays was "many passengers with LOTS of luggage - cruise ship in San Diego." When I read that, I figured some dam ship was on her Alaska-Florida migration, but TWO dam ships in at once?

Hi Bruce,

By the way, my dearly beloved brother is also named Bruce. How on earth did you manage to get on that 62-day cruise? You must have booked really, really early. I tried every way I could think of to get a booking but the ship was sold out. 62 days - you lucky dog!

If you should happen to run across a dining-room steward by the name of Sinaga please tell him that his mom (American version that is) says "hi" and that I'll see him December 6th in San Diego and then December 22nd aboard the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise and just know that I used to like you a lot but now I'm not so sure since you are going to be in a cabin that I might have had - just joking (I think), Honestly, have a sensational cruise and I am so envious that I can't see straight right now.

Yes I booked it early, in fact when the cruise was announced around May of 2004. I was on the Prinsendam in Nov/Dec 2004 on the Amazon and people were trying to book the 62 day at that time. It was sold out then and they were taking a waitlist. That was early in the cruise. About 2 weeks into the cruise they even closed the waitlist. I met many people on the Prisendam who had been on the previous 64 day a few years ago and they liked it so much they are going back with us. So far HAL has been splendid. We have recieved a letter from the Hotel Manager and Captain saying how they are looking forward to having us on board and explaing some of the special things that we can look forward to. My wife and I are very excited. We also have another couple going with us that live here in our developement.

Hi Greg,

In a month or so my credit cards will all be at zero (I'm a big believer in not charging anything you cannot afford to pay off the next month) so I'll be making a deposit on "The Voyage of The Spammed" in a few weeks. I am so looking forward to meeting you and Ruth C. and all the other CC'ers who are going to be aboard.

Valerie:)

I was down at the port today picking up friends for a day in San Diego on the RCL ship and I walked right past Ryndam and Zaandam. Having cruise on both of them i was glad to see them, but sorry that I had to walk past today!!!! But only two more months and a move until Veendam. We are moving to Portland at the end of October.

In a month or so my credit cards will all be at zero (I'm a big believer in not charging anything you cannot afford to pay off the next month) so I'll be making a deposit on "The Voyage of The Spammed" in a few weeks. I am so looking forward to meeting you and Ruth C. and all the other CC'ers who are going to be aboard.

Yippie! Welcome to "The Voyage!" You'll be signing up about a year out from cruise departure! We're going to have a blast on the lovely Zaandam.

I share your policy about not charging anything you can't afford to pay off the next month.

How do you watch these ships live? Please tell us. We should be getting on the Statendam next Monday to Hawaii!!
You can view the webcam at the following address:

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?name=/ecodb/1amnorth

In fact this morning there is a Celebrity ship at the dock. It is the Infinity. Coming in to tie up next to Infinity is the Dawn Princess.

How do you watch these ships live? Please tell us. We should be getting on the Statendam next Monday to Hawaii!!

Hey, Joal, after the life boat drill go forward to the forward observation deck (promenade deck forward ... get there by going forward on the outside promenade -- the Lower Prom deck -- and go up the stairs that are on either side) and wave a big red shirt or anything that will catch attention. Do it at about 4:45 pm ... and do it for at least 3 minutes ... and I'll capture an image of you at maximum magnification and post it to this thread. That way, when you get home, you can see it and download a copy of it for your records!!!!! :D

Have a GREAT cruise! I LOVE the Statendam; she's a great ship and Hawaii is a wonderful cruise!

A a San Diegan, it's great to see the cruise ships return! Lisa, lucky you leaving in just a few days. I'll be downtown next Sat, Oct 8th, on our way to the baseball play offs(I'm a HUGE Padre fan.) I'll try to get down to the pier to see you leave.

Is this the cruise in which you have #5187? If so, you will absolutely LOVE that cabin and the incredible veranda!!:D

What a wonderful cruise you'll have!!!!

Peggy

Archived