Catholic Mass? Where's the Service?

Lovincruisin1321

I will be on-board ext Easter. I am a retired episcopal priest. Are you saying that I could offer an Easter Eucharist? Who would I need to contact?

The Cruise Director, after you board. He will find space and put the Time & Place in the Daily.

Prior to boarding I am not sure who..

We had a priest aboard our Millennium cruise over Easter 2014 and he was assisted by the ship's Human Resources Director who is an ordained RC deacon. This priest's ministry was to serve all seaman and he shared stories of horrific abuse by various foreign commercial shipping companies' treatment of their crew. He was able to intervene in many sailors' behalf and his stories were heart-wrenching.

When we have a seaday on a Sunday, DH has gone to Guest Relations to offer leading a non-denominational Christian service and he is given access to a small conference room if available.

Just as with "Friends of Bill" or LBGT support meetings, I see nothing wrong with Celebrity providing space for priests, rabbis, ministers, laypersons, etc. to conduct service aboard ship.

I believe I am correct that Celebrity offers Catholic mass during lent. They use priests who are vacationing. Last year on Silhouette they offered a mass everyday in the comedy club theater, except for the last day, they utilized the large conference room on deck 14. The priest would advise to look ar the daily schedule to determine where the service would be held. The HR director on Silhouette at the time participated in the last service as he is a Deacon.

I was just reading a Daily from July on the Reflection.

8:00am - Catholic Mass with Fr. Gene - Theater

Are there any other services?

Now, I am actually Catholic have been attending a non denominational church for the past 10 years. So, I am not attacking the Catholics....

Why would Celebrity be so specific and not just have a "General Service" that would include all denominations or non?

Celebrity ships will provide formal religious services for Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Interdenominational faiths for major religious holidays only. All other official daily and weekly religious services have been discontinued. However, guests of all faiths are encouraged to host their own spiritual fellowship or group gathering by inquiring with our Guest Services Desk onboard (or monitoring the Groups Bulletin Board) and the Celebrity shipboard team will do their best to accommodate them.

• 3 months later...
Celebrity ships will provide formal religious services for Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Interdenominational faiths for major religious holidays only. All other official daily and weekly religious services have been discontinued. However, guests of all faiths are encouraged to host their own spiritual fellowship or group gathering by inquiring with our Guest Services Desk onboard (or monitoring the Groups Bulletin Board) and the Celebrity shipboard team will do their best to accommodate them.

The Eclipse is scheduled to arrive in Barbados at 8:00AM on Easter Sunday. Can you confirm whether or not there will be a Catholic mass offered, and if so, at what time?

Protestants also celebrate Christmas and Easter. Does Celebrity provide a minister/pastor to provide services?

If there is a minister/pastor on board who wishes to do services, Celebrity will provide a venue and post it in the daily schedule. This is identical to what they do with Catholics.

The Eclipse is scheduled to arrive in Barbados at 8:00AM on Easter Sunday. Can you confirm whether or not there will be a Catholic mass offered, and if so, at what time?

We were on Eclipse last year just before Easter, and we had a Priest on board who said Mass every day on the entire cruise (including Sat evening for Sunday because it was disembarkation day). Mass was located in the movie theater ("Celebrity Central") and by the end of the cruise it was packed every day. It added a lot to our enjoyment of the cruise, and I'm glad Celebrity does this. This should be true of any cruise in Lent or Holy Week.

Might be nice to go to Easter Mass in Barbados.

http://catholicbb.org/

Indeed, it would be nice. I've jumped ship to attend Mass in various islands even when a priest was on board. In Nassau it's a pretty good cab drive away and then there's always a chance the driver won't return in an hour. Mine always has, fortunately. In Grenada it involves a hike up a rather steep hill, so one does his penance, too.:p I think it is in St Kitts that the church is an easy, flat walk through the main shopping area. In St Lucia I had no luck in finding one, probably my fault for not trying hard enough. Of course, missing Sunday Mass is not an option while in port, and it is worth the effort on several levels. I always let Celebrity know how much I appreciate having services on board.

We were on the Reflection this past week and didn't see a priest or see anything in the dailies. We did not expect to see anything, as this is hit or miss depending on whether or not there is a priest on board. We did see mention of a Sabbath service, as there must have been a rabbi on board with a group or vacationing. In January 2014, we were pleasantly surprised when our TA contacted us and let us know that through personal connections she had learned that a priest was traveling with a parish group on our cruise and they invited us to join them for their mass.