Beverage Packate & Gratuity question

It's based on the cost of the package per day and not the amount of drinks. That raises a good point. Unless you're drinking $64 a day worth, you're paying more gratuities/service than you would if you purchased drinks separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's based on the cost of the package per day and not the amount of drinks. That raises a good point. Unless you're drinking $64 a day worth, you're paying more gratuities/service than you would if you purchased drinks separately.

That is correct. And then you should be wise and choose a different promo.

Didn't realized 20-24 drinks minimum total for the 7 day trip ($80.64 tips) at the average price of $8-15 per drink was more gratuities/ service charge than buying 3-4 each day without the promo. :rolleyes: Might want to do the math again - with the 18% autotip tacked on with the average prices ($8-15).

That drink promo is perfect for the 3+ more drinks a day person than a 1-2 every other day drinker - and moderate drinkers can do 3 drinks a day each night for dinner or breakfast mimosas / bellinis. :p

Didn't realized 20-24 drinks minimum total for the 7 day trip ($80.64 tips) at the average price of $8-15 per drink was more gratuities/ service charge than buying 3-4 each day without the promo. :rolleyes: Might want to do the math again - with the 18% autotip tacked on with the average prices ($8-15).

That drink promo is perfect for the 3+ more drinks a day person than a 1-2 every other day drinker - and moderate drinkers can do 3 drinks a day each night for dinner or breakfast mimosas / bellinis. :p

no kidding - I bet just about everyone could enjoy about $11.50 worth of drinks per day and not have to worry about that bar tab at the end. I could probably do that with one grey goose and soda or a nice glass of wine.

Yes, but the total amount you will be paying ($0 for the drinks + $11.50 service) will be less than if you purchased the drinks separately. As long as the menu price of all the drinks you order is more than about $10 per day.

So yes, if you plan to drink less than $10 worth every day, do not take this perk and complain loudly to everyone that NCL has the worst promos with the most dishonest advertising.

If you are drinking between $10 and $64 of drinks, yes, you are overtipping! :eek: But your drinks are free and you are saving money, so don't be so petty!

If you drink over $64 worth of drinks every day, you already know everything there is to know.

no kidding - I bet just about everyone could enjoy about $11.50 worth of drinks per day and not have to worry about that bar tab at the end. I could probably do that with one grey goose and soda or a nice glass of wine.

The bartenders are either extremely happy or ready to shoot themselves in the head, that have to make so many drinks and popping open beers for so many people because of the promo, lol. :p

Yes, but the total amount you will be paying ($0 for the drinks + $11.50 service) will be less than if you purchased the drinks separately. As long as the menu price of all the drinks you order is more than about $10 per day.

So yes, if you plan to drink less than $10 worth every day, do not take this perk and complain loudly to everyone that NCL has the worst promos with the most dishonest advertising.

If you are drinking between $10 and $64 of drinks, yes, you are overtipping! :eek: But your drinks are free and you are saving money, so don't be so petty!

If you drink over $64 worth of drinks every day, you already know everything there is to know.

I can't drink even $30 (2 $15 ones) worth of drinks anymore, but even I can see how that promo benefits a low-key moderate drinker that drinks 3-4 spread out throughout the day. May they all enjoy experimenting the different types of alcohol there is under $15. :);)

Excellent explanation.

When you get your cruise expense sheet at the end of the cruise, will each time you ordered a drink be listed just as it is each time you order one and pay for it without a package deal? Just curious.

I do not think so. Only if you leave an extra tip on the receipt will you even see it listed that you were at a bar.

Speaking of being petty[emoji23][emoji23] We made the same point but you didn't even realize it.[emoji23][emoji23]

Edited by missintuitive

You pay the gratuities (18%) one time on the price of the package, which gets included in your total cruise price. When aboard and you order a drink there are gratuities added onto the receipt, but nothing is charged to you. Your bill is zero. The only extra is if you feel the need to tip more, either cash or added onto the receipt .

Safe sailing

But of course you will tip in cash on the ship, right?

No need to at all. The gratuity is still listed on the individual receipts and there is no reason at all to suspect that the individual servers are compensated any differently just because of where you happen to have booked the cruise.

It is just a difference in the offers depending on where you booked. In the UK the gratuity is included in the offer (as it used to be in the US).

No need to at all. The gratuity is still listed on the individual receipts and there is no reason at all to suspect that the individual servers are compensated any differently just because of where you happen to have booked the cruise.

It is just a difference in the offers depending on where you booked. In the UK the gratuity is included in the offer (as it used to be in the US).

I suppose there is no need to however I guarantee you that the bartenders will appreciate it and you will notice the difference.

I suppose there is no need to however I guarantee you that the bartenders will appreciate it and you will notice the difference.

Absolutely, although that is a totally different matter.

Actually, I don't agree entirely. They will certainly appreciate it, but I wouldn't guarantee that people will notice the difference. Some staff do give a better level of service to those who tip but many just do their best for everyone anyway.

Edited by KeithJenner

When you get your cruise expense sheet at the end of the cruise, will each time you ordered a drink be listed just as it is each time you order one and pay for it without a package deal? Just curious.

We just got off the Gem, with UBP and when we booked the 18% was still included in the promo. The only bar related charges on our bill were taxes on a few drinks we had before and just after sailing. If you want to know how much you drink, keep the slips, we had an envelope full!

As for tipping the bartenders, we found most gave excellent service whether you tipped or not. We did tip the bar service waiter in the MDR on the final night as he ensured we always had wine with dinner, in fact one evening he saw our group coming in, looked over and said same as usual, and our drinks were there really fast.

We just got off the Gem, with UBP and when we booked the 18% was still included in the promo. The only bar related charges on our bill were taxes on a few drinks we had before and just after sailing. If you want to know how much you drink, keep the slips, we had an envelope full!

As for tipping the bartenders, we found most gave excellent service whether you tipped or not. We did tip the bar service waiter in the MDR on the final night as he ensured we always had wine with dinner, in fact one evening he saw our group coming in, looked over and said same as usual, and our drinks were there really fast.

We also booked this promo when the gratuities were included and all guests in the room got the UBP. The kids, got free soda packages instead of UBP but, if they were over 21, we all would of had the UBP.

We saved every receipt we could and we missed some cause of spilled drinks or the waiter walked off with it but before we even left the home port!!!! We had saved more with the UBP then what we paid for the cruise! We did book Oceanview only and was last minute.

No, we never threw up and no, neither of us ever got the sicky feeling either.

When each drink with tips is easily 13$ and 4$ for soda it adds up real fast with a family of 4. This is the best promo IMO even now with having to pay the gratuities based on the beverage package base price! $136.08 for two people to drink whatever they want, no worries for 7 days!!! Heck yea!!!