Bring your own pop and water question

cazzi

No, they don't need bottled water, but many people prefer bottled water for one reason or another. The word "need" is often used as a replacement for the word "want" in many, many situations. Personally, I believe that in the majority of cases if people were given 10 glasses of various waters most of them could not pick ot the bottled from the regular water, but that is really beside the point. The fact is that if someone wants a particular item and can afford that item, then they certainly have the right to spend their money as they see fit. Healthwise, I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, the bottled water is no better (or worse) than tap water.

In the end, whether we're drinking water, soda, wine, burbon or beer, as long as we're getting our money's worth, it's nobody else's business. ;) For me, Dr. Pepper is my choice (darn that girl in college that got me started on them!) :p

Tom

Tom, I agree with you totally and perhaps I phrased my question badly. What I really wanted to know (and you answered) was whether I needed to bring bottled water on a Princess cruise. The older I get, the more a adopt the "less is better" philosophy when it comes to luggage and other items to bring on board.

Tom' date=' I agree with you totally and perhaps I phrased my question badly. What I really wanted to know (and you answered) was whether I needed to bring bottled water on a Princess cruise. The older I get, the more a adopt the "less is better" philosophy when it comes to luggage and other items to bring on board.[/quote']

While you certainly can bring bottled water on board (it's not prohibited in any way) I personally don't see any need to do it. If you do, however, and don't want to hassle carrying it on yourself, tape a baggage check form onto it securely before you turn it in and it can be turned in as checked baggage and it'll be delivered to your room just like a regular piece of baggage. At least you can in Seattle. I suppose you can at other ports also.

As to the "less is better" philosophy, I know what you mean. My wife and I are in the process of slowly but surely getting rid of the "stuff" that we've accumulated over the years. Some of it's really hard to get rid of as we acquired a lot of things overseas while we were both in the military. One thing that we've noticed is that with a lot of "stuff" you lose track of it and end up with more than one of some things because you forgot you already had one packed away somewhere and ended up getting another. Wasted space and wasted money. :( We've been doing thiis for awhile now and I'd swear that the house has risen up out of the ground due to the loss of weight! We're now wondering if we really have a 3 story house and one floor has been underground all these years!

Tom

Can you bring on bottled water when you are at a port other than embarkation? We will be flying into FLL and will not be able to buy water before we embark. Or does anyone have suggestions where we could buy bottled water after we land in FLL before going to the ship. I love what Carnival is now doing with bottled water. You can pre-order water before you embark and it will be in your cabin.

This is my post above. Thanks for the response. But after being on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago, everytime I drank their water either just water, juice, or anything they used water in concentrated drinks, within 20 minutes I was very sick. So now I take bottled water with me. I just wanted to know if I was allowed to bring bottled water at any of the ports we would be visiting and where I could buy water between Fort Lauderdale airport and the cruise ship.

This is my post above. Thanks for the response. But after being on a Celebrity cruise a few years ago, everytime I drank their water either just water, juice, or anything they used water in concentrated drinks, within 20 minutes I was very sick. So now I take bottled water with me. I just wanted to know if I was allowed to bring bottled water at any of the ports we would be visiting and where I could buy water between Fort Lauderdale airport and the cruise ship.

Yes, you can bring water aboard from any port -- no restrictions. But probably the easiest is to stop and pick some up on your way to the ship. Tell the cab driver to stop at the Harbor Shops Publix on 17th Street. Right next door to the Publix supermarket is a Total Wine -- just in case you decide to pick up a more diverse selection of liquid refreshment! And there's a Walgreen's drugstore on the corner of 17th as you turn into the street heading to the port entrance -- they sell wine, too, but pricier and limited selection, of course.

Just saw a blurb on the morning news about Carnival Cruise Lines relaxing carry-on rules for water and soft drinks, so you should be fine.

What Carnival Cruise lines rules are have nothing to do with what Princess Cruise Lines rules are.

And the relaxing of the rules on Carnival you read about was to allow canned soda and canned water (if there is such a thing) to be brought on board in all ports where the previous rule was only the embarkation port.

There is a limit of 12 12oz cans per person.

And you still cannot bring on any bottled beverage (soda, water, etc.) at any port on Carnival.

Regarding the bottled water, if the water on board is safe to drink, wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly if we just brought a refillable water bottle on board and re-filled it as needed?

I know people do that, but as I can't run such a bottle through a dishwasher, I really prefer just to bring on bottled water for convenience sake. Each to his own. And no, I don't smuggle alcohol aboard in them, though I've had the case show up showing evidence that they've removed one or two bottles (presumably to check the seal) and put them back.

Regarding the bottled water, if the water on board is safe to drink, wouldn't it be more environmentally friendly if we just brought a refillable water bottle on board and re-filled it as needed?

Probably, but I like to have at least six bottles in the little fridge in my cabin, as cold as I can get it.

What's the best way to ensure warter and pop gets delivered to your room? :confused: Is writing your cabin number on the case adviseable or just printing and securing an additional luggage tags the best route? Thanks

I always bring my water in a carry on (you can check it through with the rest of your luggage so you don't have to lug it around) and then I have an extra case for things I buy so I don't have to worry about going overweight for our trip home!

I always bring my water in a carry on (you can check it through with the rest of your luggage so you don't have to lug it around) and then I have an extra case for things I buy so I don't have to worry about going overweight for our trip home!

I do that too.

Yes, you can bring water aboard from any port -- no restrictions. But probably the easiest is to stop and pick some up on your way to the ship. Tell the cab driver to stop at the Harbor Shops Publix on 17th Street. Right next door to the Publix supermarket is a Total Wine -- just in case you decide to pick up a more diverse selection of liquid refreshment! And there's a Walgreen's drugstore on the corner of 17th as you turn into the street heading to the port entrance -- they sell wine, too, but pricier and limited selection, of course.

Thanks very helpful. This is the response I was looking for.

I've been on two Princess Cruises where a couple ahead of us and two behind us had roll carts with several cases of water and soda. All went thru with no issues. Limes, I would pack in checked baggage along with the Gin and Vodka in the Speak Easy plastic bags (Smuggler brand of your choice).

That works some times but you can't always count on it.

Thanks for your responses. Tell me, are there any opportunities to purchase pop/soda in the various ports and bring these on board?

Depends where you are going. I sometimes will bring an extra 12 aboard in my backpack, say in Vancouver where there are drugstores three or four blocks from the port. I've never known security to turn a hair. I expect they are looking for glass.

Edited by Wehwalt

Depends where you are going. I sometimes will bring an extra 12 aboard in my backpack, say in Vancouver where there are drugstores three or four blocks from the port. I've never known security to turn a hair. I expect they are looking for glass.

I has a variety or items in Ft Lauderdale this cruise & they didn't cause any concern. Plastic bottles filled & empty + cans and full wine bottles, etc. They simply didn't generate enough interest to have them check it any further.

When we boarded in Houston last April we had to carry our soda and water on board. They would not take the water in the case or the soft drinks even though we had put luggage tags on them. We were told it was a port policy. The workers said if the drinks were in a suitcase they could load them on the ship!

This was the only port we have had this problem.

When we boarded in Houston last April we had to carry our soda and water on board. They would not take the water in the case or the soft drinks even though we had put luggage tags on them. We were told it was a port policy. The workers said if the drinks were in a suitcase they could load them on the ship!

Houston, we have a problem.

• 2 months later...

I bring water aboard because ship water tends to make me bloated and puffy. I'm also used to using it with my medicine, and don't want to switch in case there's an issue on board. They do provide cold bottled water in the cooler for a price. During the day, I like the virgin drinks and hot chocolate with the card.

27926-profile.png

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F11%2F2016&dest=M&ship=ISMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/11/2016 aboard the Carnival Inspiration! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises

I cruise for Creme brulee, chocolate melting cake and lobster!

I was told the same last year in Houston.

The porter who was hauling my stuff just went to a different

guy -- who then put it in the luggage cages, after the first

guy refused.

When it was so inconsistent, I felt like I was already on Princess.

I guess I should have told them that is was texas-sourced...