update on orient

negn

Found these on the Orient Beach F Bk site showing the old bars and the progress of the new construction. They put up a break wall to keep the seating level and protect from waves. There is still a beach to walk along but I didn't see any completed photos.

Hope the pics com out ok

Didyou taxi from ship to Orient. If so, do you advise? Did you reserve before you got there? or were there plenty at dock?

Thanks

From The Daily Herald

ORIENT BEACH--The four St. Martiners who have so far refused to sign the contracts for the new Orient Beach restaurants on parcel AW34 have listed details of what they consider to be subpar work not conforming to French building codes and have accused the Collectivité of "not giving valid explanations, lacking foresight and failing to utilize independent expertise to guarantee a well thought out and executed plan."

<snip>

gary

Didyou taxi from ship to Orient. If so, do you advise? Did you reserve before you got there? or were there plenty at dock?

Thanks

There are tons of shuttle vans waiting where you get off the ship. You can hop in a taxi for a faster but more expensive ride or wait a few minutes for them to fill a van to your destination. All are clearly marked. If there are 4 of you, just grab a cab.

We were at Orient on Jan 21. off the Allure. The new stores are all complete, with wooden planking in front. There are several stairways down to the beach level from the raised store level. No sign that any of them have been leased out yet.

How was the seaweed?

I've been checking the webcam for Club Orient (yes they have one) frequently as we will be there in May and I see lots of clean beach everyday!

They do? Need to look for that:D

I was there a couple weeks ago. They still have some seaweed, but it's not a big deal.

/QUOTE]

Oh that's nothing. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They are blocking access to the beach and French side this morning as well. I'm on the Regal Princess and all excursions to the French side have been cancelled. Passengers are being warned to stay on the Dutch side to avoid getting stuck trying to get back to the ship. What a shame for all of the businesses losing out on $$ from the 3!ships in port today.

I think I saw a facebook update from that same newspaper today mentioning a forceable break up of the road blocks. Not encouraging. I haven't checked Club Orient's Facebook page to see if they have said anything. I don't know the geography of the area that well, but I assume the road blocks effected the entire beach. I just checked their webcam and I see people on their beach despite a strong wind. Could be people who are already there on a week stay.

Thanks BillOh. I appreciate your updates, as I'll be there the end April on the Allure....keep us posted of what you are seeing....

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Saturday night around 11pm if you go to the solarium and look forward you will pass Oasis leaving Port Everlades, wave to me, I will be on Oasis waving back.

Saturday night around 11pm if you go to the solarium and look forward you will pass Oasis leaving Port Everlades, wave to me, I will be on Oasis waving back.

We leave on Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral on Sunday. I don't think this Orient Beach issue will be resolved by Thursday so I'm deciding to stay on Dutch side :( bummer!

Have a great cruise on Oasis BillOh. I love that ship, cruised on her 2x. This will be my 3rd time on Freedom. I just Love R/C. Tried NCL last year, did not care for it at all.

Any cruise is better than a week at work LOL

Lisa

Club Orient had this on their Facebook page. I put this up as a FWIW as they have an interest in painting a rosy pictures. But I don't dismiss their opinion.

After a few days challenges affecting the French Quarter last week, We are pleased to report that paradise is back on track!

After a few days challenges affecting the French Quarter last week, We are pleased to report that paradise is back on track!