the Sun questions-rough ride?

Holidaycraze

I will boarding soon - 2 weeks to wait. I have only sailed NCl Pearl and then several other lines. The pearl handled a very rough Pacific Ocean during a storm when HAL didnt leave port from Vancouver due to storm and the Pearl did - 2 days of rough. I thought pearl handled so well and it was fine (many sick and in cabin).

Question - will the Sun handle the seas the same way as Pearl. I read that she doesn't have the same stabilizers and can be a rough ride.

I'm doing San Diego to Santiago than I get off ship hang out in chile and Argentina and get back on Buenas aires and will do Cape Horn back to Santiago.

Nervous about how small this ship appears!

I'm a coffee snob - is there coffee machine in room ? Does it have a good machine in buffet like the Pearl that grinds fresh beans per cup? I may have to bring my own little machine?

Should I bring my own beach towel? Or can you bring towel from

Ship off ?

Anything more about the Sun I should know? I really liked and had a great

Panama Canal trip on the Pearl - hope the sun lives up to what I remeber that I liked about NCL. My friend will be coming on first leg and she has never cruised - 17 days long if too small/old especially for first timer.

Thanks for any info

I will boarding soon - 2 weeks to wait. I have only sailed NCl Pearl and then several other lines. The pearl handled a very rough Pacific Ocean during a storm when HAL didnt leave port from Vancouver due to storm and the Pearl did - 2 days of rough. I thought pearl handled so well and it was fine (many sick and in cabin).

Question - will the Sun handle the seas the same way as Pearl. I read that she doesn't have the same stabilizers and can be a rough ride.

I'm doing San Diego to Santiago than I get off ship hang out in chile and Argentina and get back on Buenas aires and will do Cape Horn back to Santiago.

I'm a coffee snob - is there coffee machine in room ? Does it have a good machine in buffet like the Pearl that grinds fresh beans per cup? I may have to bring my own little machine?

Ship off ?

Panama Canal trip on the Pearl - hope the sun lives up to what I remeber that I liked about NCL. My friend will be coming on first leg and she has never cruised - 17 days long if too small/old especially for first timer.

Thanks for any info

I don't consider the Sun to be a small ship. We are on the trip in January. Having been before on two much smaller ships it was just fine. You will have a lovely time.

My wife and I sailed the Sun out of Tampa in March. Docked next to the Epic she is very small. But she is not a small ship. In fact we loved the fact she was smaller. She is older and was showing signs of wear and tear. Our seas were calm so I can't comment on how she will be in rough seas. We loved the size of the mini suite bathrooms, they are huge compared to the Dawn, Gem or BA. We had a older crowd on board.

Ship off ?

Thanks for any info

The Sun is a great ship. Was just on Her in September from Vancouver, British Columbia to San Diego. Had a tiny bit of rough cruising (30 minutes or so) coming out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca (from Victoria, B.C. to the Pacific Ocean). If your cabin is near the center of the ship-bow to aft, top to bottom, you should not feel movement to any great degree.

The ship provides beach towels.

No need to bring your own coffee machine.

Relax and have a great cruise.

Ship off ?

Thanks for any info

My most recent sailing was a 29 day from Tampa to Alaska. We had 80MPH winds (without the ship's speed) outside of San Fran and we were in a suite at the back of the ship on deck 9. The Sun rode pretty smoothly through this and...it was a lot of fun.

There are coffee machines in the rooms yes.....

You can't bring the ship's towels off the ship so yes, I'd bring my own.....

Keep in mind the Sun is smaller than the Pearl (have sailed both). The Sun is more intimate, the buffet is set up badly (lines!).....but otherwise the layout is very handy and easy to get to know quickly. As far as "old" new carpet was put in the hallways during our cruise, she is clean and well-kept.

In non-suites the showers have the dreaded shower curtain and are small but again are functional all the same. The Sun has more storage space in cabins vs the Pearl.

Here are the seas classified as "heavy" outside of San Fransisco if you would like to see; shot from suite 9076. Again the Sun handled this very well :)

Have a great trip!

Whether you have a coffee maker in your cabin depends on the category of cabin. Insides do not have a coffee maker. I am not sure about oceanviews. Balconies and higher do have coffee makers. I don't remember one of those grind your own beans coffee makers on the Sun like was on the Pearl....I am not even sure there is still one on the Pearl, but I will find out soon.:)

The Sun is not all that small. The Sun is a wonderful ship and our favorite. You will have a wonderful time. It has one of the greatest crews and we have always enjoyed the entertainment and the cruise director staff activities on the Sun. The main difference between the Sun and the Pearl that the Sun does not have OSheehan's. There is a sports bar aft that is open almost 24hrs that serves some of the same food, but it just a bit different. You will love spending time in the Great Outdoors aft of the buffet and the Observation Lounge forward. Modernos is open for breakfast and lunch buffet and is less crowded than the designated buffet area. If you enjoyed the Pearl, I have every confidence you will enjoy the Sun. Our last cruise on the Sun was 11 days...I could have easily stayed 6 more.

There will be pool/beach towels in your cabin when you arrive. You can take them with you to the beach, but they do keep track of the ones in your cabin. Just make sure you bring them back from the beach.

Happy cruising!

You can't bring the ship's towels off the ship so yes, I'd bring my own.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blbo9Jc87YQ

Since when? I've been on 5 NCL cruises, last one was February on the Sun. We were allowed to take the ships towels off all the time

Since when? I've been on 5 NCL cruises, last one was February on the Sun. We were allowed to take the ships towels off all the time

Exactly this! We've ALWAYS taken beach towels from our cabin on our excursions. There's even a bin off the ship before you board to toss them in!

NCL very clearly tells you on board that you may take the beach towels off the ship. Just make very sure you return them to your room or trade them in at the pool or they will charge you for them.

Every beach we've been on since we started cruising you could tell the NCL cruisers looking down the beach for all the towels!!

Coffee maker in Balcony and above

in the Garden Cafe look for the WMF coffee machine, that's the one that grinds the beans.

Good heavens, of COURSE you CAN take the beach towels off the ship for a beach day. :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise!! The SUN isn't a small ship!! She's a perfectly sized ship.

You can take your beach towel ashore. No problem.

You CANNOT take your own coffee maker. IT will be confiscated. I too LOVE my coffee. Luckily, I cruise in suites and get French press for breakfast and get a Lavazza in the suite. But if I was not in a suite I would budget for the specialty coffee bar or bring great coffee for the coffee pot in the room. Most are 4 cup Mr Coffee types.

The Sun is my favorite ship. And the South American itinerary is my favorite cruise to date. Enjoy!

Edited by DMH15

Hi - we just got off the sun last week... We didn't go through any particularly rough seas, and didn't have any trouble at all with motion (in the theatre you could feel it for sure, but not uncomfortably so).

The in-room coffee makers are 4 cup ones - only in the balcony and above rooms though - we used them most days (we did not like the coffee in the d/r or breakfast buffets!). If you are particular about your coffee you could take your own coffee - they provide the coffee in the pre-packed filters so you would also need to take your own filters (you would need the small basket size filters). Most mornings we got an americano at the coffee bar in the atrium - I think a medium was about $2.50 (well worth it for a good coffee in the morning!)

As many said, you definitely can take your towels off for excursions, they have a bin to return them and get clean ones when you come back.

Have fun!