First time Norweigan cruisers...

Redsfan

We have a hold for our family of 5 on the Sky for mid-December and wondering your thoughts on the ship, and cabins:

-Deck 5 (can get Deck 4) two rooms opposite each other. Inside and Oceanview

-Alcohol and soda beverage for everyone (of course no alc. for kids)

-Tips included

$1900 and change.

The boat is older, but how is it holding up? Any recent issues? Food? How is Great Stirrup Cay? Kid's programs? etc.

Appreciate the input.

We just returned las Friday from the Sky. We didn't take our kids, but there were plenty of children and they seemed to be having a good time. Good was decent, but not great, except dinner in the Bistro which was excellent.

Great Stirrup Cay was beautiful and im sure the kids would love it.

About the only downside I could see for kids would be the lack of a waterslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sky is holding up well. The cabins are small (didn't bother us but may bother some). Great Stir up cay is very nice.

We thought the food and entertainment was good. Did Cagneys for dinner. MDR for lunch first day and all breakfast. The buffet was ok - good.

The free drinks also makes it a nice cruise.

Edited by 2ManyCruises

We have a hold for our family of 5 on the Sky for mid-December and wondering your thoughts on the ship, and cabins:

-Deck 5 (can get Deck 4) two rooms opposite each other. Inside and Oceanview

-Alcohol and soda beverage for everyone (of course no alc. for kids)

-Tips included

$1900 and change.

The boat is older, but how is it holding up? Any recent issues? Food? How is Great Stirrup Cay? Kid's programs? etc.

Appreciate the input.

I cruised the sky in 2011 and have no complaints. All the employees on the ship are really nice. My cabin Stewart was really cool as well, I don't remember her name but she was awesome. It was my first time on a cruise ship so I didn't have a lot to compare it to. I had my second Cruise on the Epic last year and I still love both ships.

What options are you considering if you choose not to sail the SKY?

honestly we were just looking for a not so crazy cruise to cut costs. We have sailed Royal and Carnival but no itineraries that hit the mark on price/islands, etc.

The 18th of December does GSC and Nassau over a short 3 day period, which we are not used to but just looking for a few days away from condo life and haven't tried Norwegian yet.

Appreciate the input.

The ship is in good shape. We have been on Sky 3 times in the past year (including last month). Here's a review from earlier this summer. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=510597

I ran a reunion of 24 people on the Sky last month. Many first time cruisers. Some cruisers who had never been on NCL. I've only ever cruised NCL.

The port is very well organized so getting on and off the ship was a breeze.

The ship is older with small cabins but honestly you won't be spending much time in them on a 3 day cruise. The common areas and both dining rooms are in good shape. I thought the food in the MDR's was excellent. The prime rib on Sunday night was outstanding. Sugar free desserts were the only ones that drew a complaint. The chocolate lava cake was a big hit. The buffet was good. I'm not big on buffets as a rule but the one lunch and one breakfast I had there was fine. I opted for coffee and pastry or muffins delivered to the room each morning at no charge.

The crew were excellent. Everyone I dealt with at the excursion desk was fine. Bar staff and our event coordinator Jenny were very good to our group.

I was afraid it was going to be a frat party boat. While I saw several wedding parties and bachelor parties it wasn't a party boat.

Great Stirrup Cay is phenomenal. By far the highlight of the cruise for me. Make sure you go all the way to the end to the lagoon. The kids will love it. Get the yellow float matts. I enjoyed just floating around the lagoon in the warm sunshine.

With kids, I recommend an excursion in Nassau so the kids can get their water slide fix. Nassau didn't do much for me. I think next time I'd stay on board and hang out at the pool.

At under $500 per person with all beverages, taxes and fees included - sounds like a good vacation to me. Go for it and have fun!

What are the NCL policies in terms of changing cruises up until sail date? For instance if a better deal comes along for this sailing, or another?

If you booked directly through NCL you simply call them and see if you can cancel and rebook at the new price. They are usually very accommodating.

They will warn you that it is possible that the cabins can get snatched up in the booking / rebooking process; we had it happen once. It wasn't a big deal to us that the cabin changed, but it could be a concern for you since you have two cabins (and I assume you want to remain across from each other).

If you have promotions tied to when you purchased, such as free dining, etc., and the promotion is not currently offered, you lose that promotion. So you have to make sure you're comparing apples-to-apples when looking at the prices.

If you are booking through a travel agent you have to check with them. Some of them have a change fee, or will resist re-booking you. Others will work on your behalf and it can be as easy as I described above.