Seeking update on Grand Princess since wet dock May 2015

Adventures ahead

We've selected a 7-day cruise for fall 2016, RT San Francisco, so that we can extend our holiday with a post-cruise stay in SF, a bucket list city for me. The Grand Princess has our preferred itinerary.

We were on the Grand in 2010 and had no major issues with the ship. Although the layout isn't ideal, we can live with it.

I did a search on the board and found disconcerting reports on the Grand Princess' condition in different areas around the ship - leaking ceilings (not the 'bucket list' experience I was looking for), mold, foul smells.

This was posted on another thread in May 2015:

... To all future Grand cruisers.. The Grand just finished a comprehensive wet-dock, and it was pre-reported that on the list of major work to be done was once and for all to deal with the spate of leaks that's arisen since her last dry-dock.

So hopefully at least her leaks are a thing of the past

Srpilo

Are the previously reported issues still ongoing?

Edited by Adventures ahead

Have you checked out the recent member reviews of Grand Princess from the Cruise Critic main page? Lots of reports of "best cruise ever" and "worst cruise ever" side by side.

I was on her December 2012 and there is no question a ship of her age will have some "character" showing. Personally I'll always take a little character over the glitz of the newest generation of ships, though I understand that catching drips from the ceiling is not everyone's ideal use of their "bucket list".

We are on the Grand right now. There have been a couple of leaks on the Caribe deck. Nothing that impacted us. However, our air conditioning is out as I type. :eek: it is hot as he$$ in here. Luckily we are sitting on the balcony. It is supposed to be fixed within the hour. :D

Other than that, this has been a marvelous cruise. The crew has gone out of their way to make us feel special and welcome. The food has been excellent!!

Cheers, Denise

I was on the Grand Oct 10 to 17th, didn't see any problems at all. The Captain was very friendly, had a wonderful time.

I always believe my "job" on vacation is to focus on the positive and have fun but I didn't have to convince myself of anything. My only complaint actually was that the wifi was slow, but that's not a reason to skip the ship.

fyi, Princess' web site shows two links if you go to the deck plans for the Grand, one is for now through May 11th and one is for after May 11th, not entirely sure why the deck plans would be different but sounds like some renovations might happen.

If you go to Princess website to see deck plans for Grand Princess, you will get a pop-up question: before or after May 2016? It will have major repairs in May.

As for "leaking" we sailed in September, and it looks more like condensation off the ceiling on the pool deck. Very little.

We got rain one evening, even then no leaks.

If you go to Princess website to see deck plans for Grand Princess, you will get a pop-up question: before or after May 2016? It will have major repairs in May.

That pop-up appears for every ship in the fleet. They are redoing the codes for all the cabins, not changing anything physically on any of the ships.

We were on the Grand in May 2015 for 7 days in Alaska. I too had read all of the 'issues' with the Grand and was apprehensive but we didn't see any negatives at all with the ship. No leaks, no musty/moldy odors, staff/crew were wonderful! It was a wonderful, memorable week!

:confused:

Have you checked out the recent member reviews of Grand Princess from the Cruise Critic main page? Lots of reports of "best cruise ever" and "worst cruise ever" side by side.

I was on her December 2012 and there is no question a ship of her age will have some "character" showing. Personally I'll always take a little character over the glitz of the newest generation of ships, though I understand that catching drips from the ceiling is not everyone's ideal use of their "bucket list".

Yes, I saw those reviews so I still wondered.

What I missed on the Fleet Drydock Schedule was this: "May 1-9, 2016 - Wetdock - routine maintenance and resolution of some flooding issues onboard (hopefully)" The Grand is listed more than once and I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see this second entry. We're glass half full cruisers so it should be fine.:) I hope that any mold problems will also be removed, and no one will have to endure flooding!

Thanks for your responses.

:confused:

Yes, I saw those reviews so I still wondered.

What I missed on the Fleet Drydock Schedule was this: "May 1-9, 2016 - Wetdock - routine maintenance and resolution of some flooding issues onboard (hopefully)" The Grand is listed more than once and I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see this second entry. We're glass half full cruisers so it should be fine.:) I hope that any mold problems will also be removed, and no one will have to endure flooding!

Thanks for your responses.

I find these maintenance docking dates interesting as we are booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise aboard the Grand Princess for May 1 - 11, 2016.

I was also on the Oct 10-17, 2015 cruise and didn't notice any issues at all. One of the central elevators was out of service but that seems to be the case on almost any ship also. I've sailed on the Grand numerous times and would again no problem.