Bonine

Do you need a prescription to get the bracelet or the patch?

In the US, the bracelet (sea-band), no prescription required, and you can buy those a lot of places and they are usually just hanging on a display (also on the ship) and they are sold online as well. As for the patch, in the US, you do need a prescription. I know many people who have had issues with the patch (vision blurriness is a big one) and have had to stop using it. I, personally, have never had an issue of any kind with meclizine and I know Dr's routinely tell parents that it's safe for kids. The problem with giving kids benadryl is the drowsiness.

Edited by BND

We have gotten prescriptions from our family doctor for the SCOP patch on all our cruises.

DD (20) does not like the way it makes her feel, so she goes with out it.

We bought at Wall mart the bonine generic and never used it.

Oh, Dollar general had it too.

Sea Ya

Just a warning on the SCOP patch, it can cause irritation to the skin behind the ear. I had tried it not for sea-sickness but for vertigo and it made my skin raw and I had to stop using it. Just wanted to warn everyone, not that it will bother most.

I took one Bonine on our last cruise. It made me really sleepy. I don't have major issues with motion sickness, but we had 2 or 3 days of bumpy seas so it finally got to me. I might try half a pill next time. On our next cruise, our cabin is high up and toward the front. I want to be prepared just in case.

It's all the exact same thing. Being carsick is getting motion sickness in a car. Being airsick is getting motion sickness during a flight. Being trainsick is getting motion sickness on a train. Being seasick is getting motion sickness on water.

It's all the same thing -- a mismatch between what the body feels versus what the eyes see.

Whether you actually vomit or not has nothing to do with it.

It's all just motion sickness.

Just a warning on the SCOP patch, it can cause irritation to the skin behind the ear. I had tried it not for sea-sickness but for vertigo and it made my skin raw and I had to stop using it. Just wanted to warn everyone, not that it will bother most.

The "patch" can also cause very dry mouth and enlarged pupils which is annoying if not serious. IMO Bonine or Meclazine is the best bet, but everyone is different.:)

What age can kids use this Gravol product? Trying to figure out for my daughter who will be 2.5 years old and she's never been on a boat before but has done find on planes and in cars.

Just checked their website and it is for children 2+.

If your daughter if fine on planes/cars; she'll likely be fine on the ship unless the waters are rough. If you feel it, chances are she will feel it too. My daughter is sensitive to the motion and she feels it even when I don't; but guaranteed she'll feel it if I do!

I'm not sure why, but as a child, she used to describe the sensation as her stomach getting warm.

How much at Wally World? I just bought a bottle of 25mg/ea Meclizine, named Rugby (brand) Travel Sickness, 100 chewable tablets, for $4.19, at Costco. It's located behind the pharmacy counter, but it's non-prescription. Not that I'd ever need/use 100, but it does last two years.

So glad you posted that....only $3.50 at our Costco, and a steal compared to Bonine. Thanks!!!

The storebrand Meclizine that I used last year said that it was a less drowsy formula. But, it made me very drowsy. I will have to look to see if there is a no drowsy formula or if am I just very susceptible to it. I took one before dinner and fell asleep sitting in the lounge waiting for our pager to buzz.

It's all the exact same thing. Being carsick is getting motion sickness in a car. Being airsick is getting motion sickness during a flight. Being trainsick is getting motion sickness on a train. Being seasick is getting motion sickness on water.

It's all the same thing -- a mismatch between what the body feels versus what the eyes see.

Whether you actually vomit or not has nothing to do with it.

It's all just motion sickness.

Lol I feel your pain.

The storebrand Meclizine that I used last year said that it was a less drowsy formula. But, it made me very drowsy. I will have to look to see if there is a no drowsy formula or if am I just very susceptible to it. I took one before dinner and fell asleep sitting in the lounge waiting for our pager to buzz.

Try taking it at bedtime instead. Meclizine usually causes less sedation than diphenhydramine but people can react differently.

Meclizine is the less drowsy form of sea sickness medication. I have used a generic, Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine and they are all exactly the same. Seasick/motion sick medications generally work on the inner ear. A lot are antihistamines which can make people drowsy. I have no real side effects from it, and I drink while taking it. The best way to deal is to take it at night before bed. It stays in your system for 24 hours so taking it at the same time every night works and a lot of people say it helps with the drowsiness.

I'm not a chemist and you're right to say I shouldn't say they're the same - they're not. From what I read Gravol it is dimenhydrinate and apparently metabolizes it into diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Again, I'm not a chemist so take it with a grain of salt. Just a tinnitus sufferer looking for clues.

Totally unrelated.....in our local newspaper someone wrote in that taking Biotin helps tinnitus. I take it in a "Hair, Skin, and Nails" formula....3000mcg. ( you can find it in any drugstore/vitamin store). I also have tinnitus and have found relief...not knowing why. I think it is the Biotin. Unfortunately, or not to my knowledge, it does not help motion sickness.

Does anyone know why Bonine was taken off the market in Canada? I have asked several Canadian pharmacists and no one knew.

Bonine works like a charm for me. Every other type of motion sickness medication I have tried has had unpleasant side effects of one sort or another. I use natural ginger, ginger tea, green apples and and/or sea bands but they only help when the motion of the sea is minor.

Does anyone know why Bonine was taken off the market in Canada? I have asked several Canadian pharmacists and no one knew.

Bonine works like a charm for me. Every other type of motion sickness medication I have tried has had unpleasant side effects of one sort or another. I use natural ginger, ginger tea, green apples and and/or sea bands but they only help when the motion of the sea is minor.

I too have wondered why it was discontinued in Canada. It may simply be that it is not commercially viable.