Weight Limits on Shore Ex

bankerbabe

Greetings fellow cruisers.

I am just beginning to research activity options available for our spring break cruise next year. Generally when I do this, I look at what the cruise line offers and compare that to what I would/could do independently or booking with another vendor. Something has me puzzled, though.

I've run across a few options, both with Princess and elsewhere, that have weight limits that don't seem to make a lot of sense. For example, in Antigua, Princess offers a beach break excursion. Just get on a bus, ride to the beach, and park yourself for the day. No motorized equipment, i.e. jet skis, no snorkeling, no kayaking. And there is a weight limit of 300 pounds and a height limit of 6'5".

Now I can understand a weight limit on some excursions, particularly when it involves water displacement on a kayak, zip lining, or even hiking (though I'm pretty sure some big guys well in excess of 300 pounds could out hike me....football players anyone?). But on a beach excursion this has me puzzled.

Thing is, while I'm well below that 300 pound mark, my husband is a big beefy guy who is a former football player turned coach himself. And I find it odd that he would be excluded from parking himself on a beach.

Sure, I could easily do this excursion on my own for half the cost, but it still has me rather befuddled.

Anyone have an explanation or theory they'd care to share?

I saw one with a 250 lb limit for a similar excursion and couldn't figure it out either.

I was just on Royal. I cannot remember the island, but there was a sailboat ride with a weight restriction. I can understand that given the small size of the boat and number of pax they were advertising (12). But just an excursion to the beach - must be a typo as others have said.

Earlier this year in the Caribbean a snorkel trip had a 225 lb weight limit. I contacted the tour operator and asked if it was a total capacity of the boat issue because out of the 6 of us 3 were around 100 lbs but my 6 ft 5 18 year old is over that. I explained he was a good swimmer and a certified SCUBA diver. It turned out they put the limit in place because you have to be able to climb into the boat from deep water. That was the limit they were able to pull up those people who could not climb up. The excursion did disclose that you would have to do that but people still book anyhow. He said in our situation that would be fine because he would be able to climb up without a problem so he sent me an e-mail to bring with.

It's always worth inquiring if it's something you want to do.

That's too funny....must be some legalise......no need to book an excursion to have a beach day...get a guidebook...and DIY...very easy! I understand weight limits for zip-lines, helicopters, horses, etc....but not for riding in a bus!

Edited by cb at sea

That's too funny....must be some legalise......no need to book an excursion to have a beach day...get a guidebook...and DIY...very easy! I understand weight limits for zip-lines, helicopters, horses, etc....but not for riding in a bus!

Yeah, but some of those buses are a little, um, dilapidated, LOL.

Maybe the size of the seats on the bus?

The transportation (bus) seating size as well as concerns for accompanying guide (who might be called upon to assist client who falls at the beach) could contribute to having a weight limit.

Ever been seated next to a 300+ lb person in coach on an airplane or in two-across seating on most eurostyle motor coaches? Though the obese passenger might be one of the nicest folks you'll ever meet, their physical girth really eats into your personal space.

Oh, I have no intention of booking a "beach break" through the cruise line. I can totally do that in my own. It was just the oddest example of a weight limit that I could find and it had me scratching my head with wonder.

Sort of a practical question here, but do they actually weigh people for these things? I have never seen any scales.

We have been on several helicopter excursions and zip lines where you are weighed.....I often do wonder what is the average weight of passengers on a Princess cruise.....seems to me they are above average in POS......:)

Maybe it's a trendy resort and overweight people mess up their aesthetics...They only want people who look good in a swim suit...Probably have a doorman at the entrance who just looks at people trying to enter and says "too fat...too ugly...etc." :D :D :D

Gee, I dunno...sounds strange to me...Do they weigh you getting on the bus?

There's a restaurant chain near me that used to have a scale at the entrance...They actually used it to weigh kids...since the Kid's Meals were charged "by the pound"...My wife always noted that it's a good thing they don't weigh the adults or no woman would ever eat at this restaurant. They've long since removed the scales...

I have never seen a weight restriction for a beach. The only thing I could imagine that could be weight-limited would be lounge chairs on the beach.

The lounge chairs I just bought for around my pool actually do have a 250 lb weight restriction. So maybe?

A taxi and bring the beach towels from the ship. Maybe buy a beach mat ahead of the cruise so you don't need the lounges.