Hurricane Patricia

CruzinNoony

I doubt that your cruise will be cancelled. They will tweak the itinerary as needed to avoid the weather. Rest assured, they will not take you into harms way. Enjoy your cruise. We leave on the 8th so will be following the storm closely as well.

I was on a cruise to Mexico about 10 years ago and we left LA and just sailed around for 7 days and came back due to a hurricane......so the ship will go......it will just stay out of the path of the hurricane.........I know after the last bad one there they change to the cruise to go Northern and people hadn't packed for cool weather. (from what was posted here on cc)

This is all just opinion, but you asked:

Since the hurricane will hit land in the next few hours, it will be well past before you board, port and sea conditions will be known by departure time. Based on the 4:00 update, it is likely that Cabo and Mazatlan will be missed completely, so they will be open and with little to no damage. I do not expect Princess to make major itinerary changes such as going north instead of south. Your first scheduled port (PV) is not until next Wednesday, I don't expect any announcement to be made until after departure, maybe not even until Tuesday while they assess the options. PV, unfortunately is most likely to be quite damaged, and you may get only two ports, and/or switched dates. Just my two cents.

Sounds reasonable to me. Perhaps an overnight stay in Cabo to make up for Puerto Vallarta.

I really feel for the people in the hurricane's path.

Do you know why? Specifically?

I read the article. The issue seemed to be high winds in the general area.
Cruise critic news article said it was bypassed due to swells. Wind today was less than 10 mph up to 5 pm; wave height was between 5-9 feet, however. Since that is a tender port AND the hurricane was getting closer, they were better off to skip the port and move up the coast.

I'm booked on Ruby and getting ready to leave on Sunday. I'm a pretty optimistic guy, so I'm hoping that the narrow path of Patricia will spare PV from major danger, but I know that it's highly unlikely we will stop there. If Princess does something drastic like change the itinerary to a California Coastal, will they offer full refunds? I booked this cruise to go to warm weather not the California Coast...

The only refund would be port fees unless the cruise was cancelled which I doubt would happen as they can cruise somewhere.

Thank you for the responses; it appears my optimistic side is holding on- looks like Patricia missed PV by over 50 miles, and so far there has been little damage.... hoping that this stays true

Good news to hear. We have made this trip several times. If February we are going again but taking our adult son and his wife. It is their first time to cruise. As a matter of fact it is there first real vacation. They are really looking forward to some culture at PV.

Just done messaging a friend in PV who owns a talavera shop on the Rio Cual in old PV. He said they have rain, but the brunt of the storm stayed to the south, so they are fine.

Great news and hopefully Princess will keep the port calls. Puerto Vallarta is one of my favorite ports and our November 21 cruise needs to get there.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Just done messaging a friend in PV who owns a talavera shop on the Rio Cual in old PV. He said they have rain, but the brunt of the storm stayed to the south, so they are fine.

Great news and hopefully Princess will keep the port calls. Puerto Vallarta is one of my favorite ports and our November 21 cruise needs to get there.

Happy Cruising:D:D

We went into Mazatlan years ago after another huge Hurricane hit, and saw the damage done. It was also a learning experience told to us by our guide. We learned that a member of the family needs to stay in their home, during an event, so someone else can't claim it. It reminded me of homesteaders, during the early days.

Yes great news, I also earlier today had an email from someone I know who lives in PV, and while there's been a lot of rain, there's NO flooding, and manageable wind damages.. So great news !!

I would imagine that the ships could start calling at PV again pretty quickly :)

Srpilo

I have been on cruises that have been at sea extra days or missed ports, but usually did not get into new ports. They have to prebook them months or a year in advance to have that availability.

One of the things that has to be done before a ship can dock after a storm like that is to make sure it is safe for passengers to even get off the ship.

I missed Christchurch because of damage to the dock. and it was not on their 1st fix requirement list -basic infrastructure, drinkable water/hydro/roads have to be fixed first! Damage looks like less than was expected, but they will err on the side of caution,, so, I would expect a couple of extra sea days. A refund of some port charges, and they try to give you something extra to make you happy even though the cruise was not quite what you expected.

I am sure you will enjoy yourself!

Yes great news, I also earlier today had an email from someone I know who lives in PV, and while there's been a lot of rain, there's NO flooding, and manageable wind damages.. So great news !!

That's great news.