Hurricane Patricia

CruzinNoony

We are scheduled on the Ruby for Sunday's departure to the Mexican Riviera. With the category 5 hurricane approaching we are wondering if the cruise will A) be cancelled; B) be diverted to a different area or C) go down to Mexico anyway and don't stop at ports. Thoughts??:confused:

We are scheduled on the Ruby for Sunday's departure to the Mexican Riviera. With the category 5 hurricane approaching we are wondering if the cruise will A) be cancelled; B) be diverted to a different area or C) go down to Mexico anyway and don't stop at ports. Thoughts??:confused:

For hurricane Sandy from New York to Bermuda, we went north and stayed at Boston. They were able to get around the Jones rules because of the hurricane (emergency situation). You might end up in San Francisco if Patricia is a huge concern. We also had 2 extra days which meant the next cruise lost 2 days. So departure date is something to keep an eye (no pun) on.

The storm is suppose to land on Friday and you are leaving on Sunday. I think Princess has a few options. You could be one of the few rare cruises that heads north and does a California Coastal instead of Mexico. Depending on the weather you could head south but might not make all the ports. I think it will depend on what condition the ports are in after the storm leaves. Good luck

I doubt that your cruise will be cancelled. They will tweak the itinerary as needed to avoid the weather. Rest assured, they will not take you into harms way. Enjoy your cruise. We leave on the 8th so will be following the storm closely as well.

I doubt that your cruise will be cancelled. They will tweak the itinerary as needed to avoid the weather. Rest assured, they will not take you into harms way. Enjoy your cruise. We leave on the 8th so will be following the storm closely as well.

I organized the meet & greet for the Nov. 8th cruise. Come on over to our roll call! :)

I organized the meet & greet for the Nov. 8th cruise. Come on over to our roll call! :)

You must be on the Ruby out of LA as I don't recognize your name from our roll call. We are on the Grand out of San Francisco (California Coastal). Thanks for the invitation though :D

Fingers crossed! Go away, Patricia!

At 200-205 mph and 879 mb, with waves of 40 feet expected to crash the coast, Patricia is the strongest hurricane ever recorded on earth. She's not going to go away. The question is what will be left of the area around Puerto Vallarta, and how badly damaged the towns of Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo will be.

Realize that for many miles around the storm, the seas are going to be awful. So for the sake of those with Mexican coastal cruises, your best hope is that Princess turns them into California and northern Pacific coastal cruises.

Or you might do the Sea of Cortez, up the right side of Baja. We really enjoy Loreto. There is a morning time for music in the plaza with dances and singing.

I don't believe the ships can get there and back in seven days.

Princess likely has contingency plans based on whether the forecast calls for weather safe enough for tendering at Cabo next week.

If yes, you could have a cruise with two days anchored off Cabo, a stop in Ensenada, and the rest slow-moving sea days.

If the weather is still too poor to head south Sunday night, a California coastal will likely be cobbled together.

We can all pray for otherwise, but I can't imagine how the port infrastructure will survive intact in Puerto Vallarta. The season may be over already there. Hopefully Mazatlan will avoid a direct hit but I'm sure tourism will be a low priority throughout the coast for awhile.

Edited by fishywood

Or you might do the Sea of Cortez, up the right side of Baja. We really enjoy Loreto. There is a morning time for music in the plaza with dances and singing.

While Loreto was a very small village it was one of the nicest places we have visited in Mexico so far. The people were very welcoming, the beach was nice, and (while I'm not usually a big fan of mariachi music) the mariachi band in the plaza was amazing. I had never heard a mariachi band that good and really enjoyed their music.

To the OP: Best of luck with your cruise. I think that, even if the itinerary was drastically changed, my wife and I would still have a great time. I still work and the worst day I have had cruising beats the best day I have had working.

Edited by Thrak

I don't believe the ships can get there and back in seven days.

Should be possible.

Cabo -Loreto- La Paz. Only glitch in this is that both Loreto and Cabo are tender ports.

We are also on this cruise, leaving for California in the morning. Hopefully Princess will email us when they have made a decision. We were on a Carnival cruise that did the coastal itinerary instead of Mexico due to the Swine Flu!

If anyone hears anything, please post.

Your ship will sail almost certainly on a modified itinerary. According to the weather channel the hurricane is very strong, but very narrow. Those 10/20 miles from the eye will not have hurricane force winds. It's path is directly toward Puerto Vallarta which will most likely cause lots of damage. Lndfall is in about 6pm PDT. There will probably be high seas damage in the Mazatlan area and all along the entire bay which may include Cabo on the north end of the bay.

Hi

A few years back we were on a 14 Caribbean, roughly clockwise,

Commodore told us after boarding we were going anti clockwise

because of a hurricane so all ports now had new dates,

Princess will do what is the safest thing to do regardless of cost or inconvenience.

May be a cruise to no where

yours Shogun

As the winds, rains, floods, landslides are currently being forecast, Manzanilla and Puerto Vallarta BOTH may not be habitable or with power for several week, even months. It's doubtful they will be able to support 3+ thousand weekly cruising tourists for quite a while. I suspect there will be itinerary changes for several weeks to come for all cruise lines in the area.

We cruised Mexico a month after a Hurricane Odile hit Cabo last year and the damage was still noticeable in the marina and facades of many buildings. That storm was harsh, Category 3, 125 mph, but nothing compared to Patricia's Category 5 with 200 mph winds.

This will be a very difficult time for these people. :(

I'm booked on Ruby and getting ready to leave on Sunday. I'm a pretty optimistic guy, so I'm hoping that the narrow path of Patricia will spare PV from major danger, but I know that it's highly unlikely we will stop there. If Princess does something drastic like change the itinerary to a California Coastal, will they offer full refunds? I booked this cruise to go to warm weather not the California Coast...

Edited by sandsunsurf

This will be really interesting to see how it plays out. We are on a B2B2B (Mexico, Calif. Coastal, Mexico). I would think Princess will have to make a decision within the next 24 hours as to if we are going south or north. :rolleyes:
This is all just opinion, but you asked:

Since the hurricane will hit land in the next few hours, it will be well past before you board, port and sea conditions will be known by departure time. Based on the 4:00 update, it is likely that Cabo and Mazatlan will be missed completely, so they will be open and with little to no damage. I do not expect Princess to make major itinerary changes such as going north instead of south. Your first scheduled port (PV) is not until next Wednesday, I don't expect any announcement to be made until after departure, maybe not even until Tuesday while they assess the options. PV, unfortunately is most likely to be quite damaged, and you may get only two ports, and/or switched dates. Just my two cents.

So far, there's nothing on the websites for Princess, RC, NCL, or Carnival (according to the cruise tracking website http://www.sailwx.info/ they have ships in that area or about to be). So maybe they're waiting to see what happens with the hurricane.

Most likely the ships will stop at Ensenada if even Cabo is affected enough.

We board the Ruby Sunday also. According to my travel agent they probably will not make final decisions until Sunday morning. I think it is safe to assume we won't be going to PV. It doesn't sound like they would be ready for us by wed. I wouldn't mind a second day in Cabo since we don't have a full day there now. Hopefully not Ensenada. Pack for wet and throw in something warm in case we end up in San Francisco.

I highly doubt any cruise will go north. That is just too extreme. It appears that only PV and maybe manzanillo will be affected. Any cruises going south will be a cobbled mix of Cabo, La Pax, Loreto, Mazatlan, Ensenada, and even Catalina. We leave on Nov 8th for PV, Mazatlan and Cabo. I know we will have a fun safe cruise regardless of where we visit. My concern and prayers are now with the Mexican people who will soon be facing this devastating event.