Nile River Cruise with Uniworld

BillPizzaiolo

We got home last night from the long flights from Cairo. It was well worth the effort. Our Uniworld Nile River Cruise experience in Egypt was as if we were on a 5 star VIP private tour with an expert Egyptologist. Hatem was very knowledgeable and led our group through the historical sites holding our attention every minute of the trip. He watched out for us and we felt very safe and secure throughout.

Before and after the cruise we stayed overnight in the Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza. It was part of the cruise package. We had room service dinner on our balcony overlooking the Nile and Cairo both evenings. Upon visiting the sights the only thing we experienced that was uncomfortable was desperate attempts of the souvenir vendors selling their wares. Our guide insulated us from the hassle. As we were transported, in AC comfort, from site to site people and children waved friendly waves. Everything was excellent. The chef on board met every request. The staff was friendly, efficient and very competent. The food and presentation was perfect. The chef even made a near eastern cooking demonstration on deck one afternoon.

Seeing the infrastructure designed for the huge tourist industry sit idle was bad for Egypt but a big advantage for us. There were no lines, no waiting anywhere. I would do it again it was a bargain and a once in a lifetime experience. Not very ADA accessible at the sites if you have walking issues, lots of stairs and rough paths along with the heat of Egypt. After all, the sights were built and designed thousands of years ago. It is one of the must see places in the world if you are willing to make the effort.

Included Ports and key tour locations all accompanied by a (college professor Egyptologist) Hatem Abdel Aziz and an armed security guard (thankfully needed only for peace of mind).

Day 1 & 2, Cairo = Hotel stay Four Seasons Cairo Nile Plaza

Tour of Cairo's Old Citadel of Salah al-Din with Alabaster Mosque and Egyptian Museum.

Day 3, Flight to Luxor, Temple of Karnak & Embark on River Tosca, evening visit to Luxor Temple

Day 4 AM visit to Temple of Hathor at Dendera, Light show at Luxor Temple

Day 5 AM visit to Valley of the Kings, Hatsheput Temple and Colossi of Memnon, Galabeya party in evening

Day 6 visit Kom Ombo Temple, cruise towards Aswan, bird-watching boat ride & visit to an island Nubian Village. Evening Belly Dancer & Whirling Dervish dancer exhibition on board.

Day 7 visit unfinished obelisk, Philae Temple then Aswan High Dam, Afternoon visit Felucca boat ride to have high tea at Old Cataract Hotel. Evening Nubian show.

Day 8 early AM Took optional visit to Abu Simbel PM cruised to Edfu via Kom Ombo

Day 9 Visit Temple of Horus cruised back to Luxor

Day 10 Disembark at Luxor flew back to Cairo, Evening Sound and light show at the Pyramids of Giza. Ovenight in Four Seasons Hotel Cairo Nile Plaza.

Day 11Visit Memphis & Sakkara then Great Sphinx and camel ride around Pyramid in Giza entered either Khafre or Menkaure.

Day 12 Fly home - Thankfully we didn't get a final exam before leaving. We thoroughly enjoyed learning all about Egypt and the Nile with Hatem.

I failed to mention that we were interviewed by an Egyptian TV station. http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=36402

How cool is that!!! We did Egypt before the revolution and I agree, it was wonderful and the only annoyance was the vendors who would politely hound you....but once they realized you weren't buying they left you alone. I'm so glad to see some companies slowly going back to Egypt....their economy has taken such a beating I feel sorry for the people.

We did our nile cruise shortly after Obama came into office for his first term. The Egyptian people saw this as a unification of a muslim(???) US president and their people. We had the most magical of tours and the cruise still leaves us with the best of memories as well as having had an excellent education by a professor of Egyptian history and religion.

Please if it can be done......go to Egypt!

OMG.....so jealous! Isn't it magical and mysterious?!

Please say you have or are hitting Valley of the Kings too! Have fun and do you feel the least bit in danger?

Hopefully the Cairo museum will be a destination for you too.....incredible!

OMG.....so jealous! Isn't it magical and mysterious?!

Please say you have or are hitting Valley of the Kings too! Have fun and do you feel the least bit in danger?

Hopefully the Cairo museum will be a destination for you too.....incredible!

Lahlah, we were there in Jan/Feb, 2009 and the souvenier vendors everywhere would open the conversation with "Obama Obama, we love Obama, welcome to New York"...that was the only phrase of English they knew! Our guide was an Egyptologist as well and his wife was a pharmacist. His name was Magid (Magic). We were with Vantage because they included the cruise on Lake Nasser and Abu Simbel as well as the Nile Cruise...we were on Omar el Khayyam....any chance we were on the same trip?

Ours was a combined tour and nile river cruise thru Trafalgar tour company. We were on a river cruise ship and was a weird name to it......kind of a older river boat.

My husband and I had to count back as to what year and finally he just grabbed the passports.....DUH:o

Of course it is in Egyptian and we can't make it out.

I think we were there about the same time as you in June of 2008.

Lahlah, we were there in Jan/Feb, 2009 and the souvenier vendors everywhere would open the conversation with "Obama Obama, we love Obama, welcome to New York"...that was the only phrase of English they knew! Our guide was an Egyptologist as well and his wife was a pharmacist. His name was Magid (Magic). We were with Vantage because they included the cruise on Lake Nasser and Abu Simbel as well as the Nile Cruise...we were on Omar el Khayyam....any chance we were on the same trip?

We went at about the same time. I lost count of the number of times I was told, "We love Obama." :) I felt so fortunate to have gone at a time when the only [relatively minor] issue was the vendors - but we had an excellent guide who did a great job of fending them off! The pyramids, the museum, and the markets were amazing.

Bill & Jeannie, thanks for the report. It's great to hear that it's still doable - and the lack of crowds is definitely a benefit on the tourists' end of the deal!

Thanks for the review, it does sound like you had a wonderful time.

It is no secret that I'm not a fan of the interior design choices that Uniworld have made on their European fleet, but in Egypt the ship appears to be much more restrained in that respect and I'd have to say that this is one Uniworld cruise that is definitely on our radar.

Thanks for the review, it does sound like you had a wonderful time.

It is no secret that I'm not a fan of the interior design choices that Uniworld have made on their European fleet, but in Egypt the ship appears to be much more restrained in that respect and I'd have to say that this is one Uniworld cruise that is definitely on our radar.

You know, Mark, I've never sailed on Uniworld, but once you see Egypt, somehow I think the opulent splendor of some of the river boats will fit in with the area. Vantage didn't have its own ships in Egypt so we were on the Omar el Khayyam, which was quite ornate and very comfortable and I think the other one was Crown Jubilee, which was also very comfortable and splendid in its decor...just whatever you do, don't ever buy bottled water from a street vendor.

just whatever you do, don't ever buy bottled water from a street vendor.

That is good advice pretty much everywhere :)

After you've watched street kids filling bottles from a tap and resealing with a spot of super-glue you get very focused on your water supply.

Re the decor, it is not so much the opulent splendor that bothers me, I think I'm just allergic to the Louis XVI style they have adopted in Europe, but that isn't relevant here fortunately and the Egyptian ship seems to hit a nice point of being stylish and comfortable without going OTT judging from the photos online.

We had to cancel plans for an Egyptian tour some time ago due to local conditions, so we've been waiting to get back there for a while now.

This could be the right time to do it...

That is good advice pretty much everywhere :)

After you've watched street kids filling bottles from a tap and resealing with a spot of super-glue you get very focused on your water supply.

Re the decor, it is not so much the opulent splendor that bothers me, I think I'm just allergic to the Louis XVI style they have adopted in Europe, but that isn't relevant here fortunately and the Egyptian ship seems to hit a nice point of being stylish and comfortable without going OTT judging from the photos online.

We had to cancel plans for an Egyptian tour some time ago due to local conditions, so we've been waiting to get back there for a while now.

This could be the right time to do it...

If a good and diligent riverboat company has opened it up....do it....cause there could be a time when it could be closed with no opening in sight!

For us it was a trip like no other.....Egypt is a region that is a gift for the traveling individual that can appreciate it!

If a good and diligent riverboat company has opened it up....do it....cause there could be a time when it could be closed with no opening in sight!

For us it was a trip like no other.....Egypt is a region that is a gift for the traveling individual that can appreciate it!

Amen to that!! And if you can do the extension to Jordan...do it....Petra is one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen and floating in the Dead Sea reading a magazine is other worldly!!

• 3 weeks later...
We got home last night from the long flights from Cairo. It was well worth the effort. Our Uniworld Nile River Cruise experience in Egypt was as if we were on a 5 star VIP private tour with an expert Egyptologist. Hatem was very knowledgeable and led our group through the historical sites holding our attention every minute of the trip. He watched out for us and we felt very safe and secure throughout.

Before and after the cruise we stayed overnight in the Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza. It was part of the cruise package. We had room service dinner on our balcony overlooking the Nile and Cairo both evenings. Upon visiting the sights the only thing we experienced that was uncomfortable was desperate attempts of the souvenir vendors selling their wares. Our guide insulated us from the hassle. As we were transported, in AC comfort, from site to site people and children waved friendly waves. Everything was excellent. The chef on board met every request. The staff was friendly, efficient and very competent. The food and presentation was perfect. The chef even made a near eastern cooking demonstration on deck one afternoon.

Seeing the infrastructure designed for the huge tourist industry sit idle was bad for Egypt but a big advantage for us. There were no lines, no waiting anywhere. I would do it again it was a bargain and a once in a lifetime experience. Not very ADA accessible at the sites if you have walking issues, lots of stairs and rough paths along with the heat of Egypt. After all, the sights were built and designed thousands of years ago. It is one of the must see places in the world if you are willing to make the effort.

Included Ports and key tour locations all accompanied by a (college professor Egyptologist) Hatem Abdel Aziz and an armed security guard (thankfully needed only for peace of mind).

Day 1 & 2, Cairo = Hotel stay Four Seasons Cairo Nile Plaza

Tour of Cairo's Old Citadel of Salah al-Din with Alabaster Mosque and Egyptian Museum.

Day 3, Flight to Luxor, Temple of Karnak & Embark on River Tosca, evening visit to Luxor Temple

Day 4 AM visit to Temple of Hathor at Dendera, Light show at Luxor Temple

Day 5 AM visit to Valley of the Kings, Hatsheput Temple and Colossi of Memnon, Galabeya party in evening

Day 6 visit Kom Ombo Temple, cruise towards Aswan, bird-watching boat ride & visit to an island Nubian Village. Evening Belly Dancer & Whirling Dervish dancer exhibition on board.

Day 7 visit unfinished obelisk, Philae Temple then Aswan High Dam, Afternoon visit Felucca boat ride to have high tea at Old Cataract Hotel. Evening Nubian show.

Day 8 early AM Took optional visit to Abu Simbel PM cruised to Edfu via Kom Ombo

Day 9 Visit Temple of Horus cruised back to Luxor

Day 10 Disembark at Luxor flew back to Cairo, Evening Sound and light show at the Pyramids of Giza. Ovenight in Four Seasons Hotel Cairo Nile Plaza.

Day 11Visit Memphis & Sakkara then Great Sphinx and camel ride around Pyramid in Giza entered either Khafre or Menkaure.

Day 12 Fly home - Thankfully we didn't get a final exam before leaving. We thoroughly enjoyed learning all about Egypt and the Nile with Hatem.

Here are a few of our photos.

CamelRidePyramids.jpg.f9240fd9861274aada0c9e3cf27bca77.jpg

GalabeyaGrpPHTO.jpg.8c0918cb3396a77b4ce2a346119350b3.jpg

AbuSimbel.jpg.acced112b347891af8728cbb701cde33.jpg

NightLuxor.jpg.3c71a92fa51327d1a0b12be5328a01c4.jpg

jeanniebalony.jpg.8e6607ccad04eb62f3769bd538d505f1.jpg