Captains

welshgirl001

Does anyone know how to find out who the Captain is on a particular voyage.

Xmas on QE is the voyage I was wondering but cant find it anymore on Cunard website.:confused:

OOOOOOOH My 500th post

Edited by welshgirl001

The officer schedule can be found here although Cunard no longer gives the exact sailing dates of specific captains:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/fleet/senior_officers

I was very disappointed to see that the "Chief Purser" is now called "Customer Services Manager". Just like your land based hotel or shopping mall. It's sad to see a traditional ocean-going term fade into the past. :(

Does anyone know how to find out who the Captain is on a particular voyage.

Xmas on QE is the voyage I was wondering but cant find it anymore on Cunard website.:confused:

OOOOOOOH My 500th post

we have just come off QE, Captain Inger was going leave same time but said she would be back just before Xmas at captain's talk

I'm always intrigued as to why so many future guests often want to know who a particular crew member is going to be on their next cruise. Not only on this forum site, but one often reads posts/questions relating to this or that 'Cruise Director, Bar Tender or Captain'.

I would imagine these crew members ( who often read these forums) must be having a good laugh at us. We may feel we know them, but at the end of the day, or should I say at the end of our cruise, they will have forgotten about us ;)

It's like saying " Does anyone know if Tracey is still on 'Fruit & Veg' in Waitrose or M&S as I've got my weekly shop next week".

:)

The officer schedule can be found here although Cunard no longer gives the exact sailing dates of specific captains:

I was very disappointed to see that the "Chief Purser" is now called "Customer Services Manager". Just like your land based hotel or shopping mall. It's sad to see a traditional ocean-going term fade into the past. :(

Oh no BlueRiband would you believe it, it gets even worse ;) The actual Chief Purser ( or head of the department of the Purser's desk i.e. head of department) is now referred to as ......Hotel Operations Retail Manager.... The Customer Services Manager is the old title of 'Purser Customer Service's'

Hopefully in the new refit we don't see new signage over the front desk... HORM Desk :D

Oh no BlueRiband would you believe it, it gets even worse ;) The actual Chief Purser ( or head of the department of the Purser's desk i.e. head of department) is now referred to as ......Hotel Operations Retail Manager.... The Customer Services Manager is the old title of 'Purser Customer Service's'

Hopefully in the new refit we don't see new signage over the front desk... HORM Desk :D

I really dislike these new names they are branding around for positions on the ship, which now are more in keeping with a supermarket then a cruise ship. I hate it! As an old ex-crew member of Holland America Line ( before they were bought out by Carnival in the early 1980's), I still think of the "Purser" as just that and the "cruise director" as such. In the same way, I also dislike / hate the fact that we now all sail in a stateroom and not a cabin and we are guests rather than passengers.

I really think it must be hard for an officer to to be given the name of Customer Relations Manager after serving his time as a serving officer which come with such respect. How can one respect a Customer Service Manager?

I'm always intrigued as to why so many future guests often want to know who a particular crew member is going to be on their next cruise. Not only on this forum site, but one often reads posts/questions relating to this or that 'Cruise Director, Bar Tender or Captain'.

I would imagine these crew members ( who often read these forums) must be having a good laugh at us. We may feel we know them, but at the end of the day, or should I say at the end of our cruise, they will have forgotten about us ;)

It's like saying " Does anyone know if Tracey is still on 'Fruit & Veg' in Waitrose or M&S as I've got my weekly shop next week".

The grocery store I shop at recently received many letters (including some to the home office) when Vicki left the seafood counter and her replacements didn't hold a candle. She said she got a call begging her to come back at higher pay (and she's back).

Well, there is no way I'm going to the HORM desk......I'm staying with Purser. :)
Very well said :)

I'll also stick with "Purser", and "Cabin" (or alternatively "suite" when there are multiple rooms within a cabin. Never "stateroom"), "Deck" (not "floor"), "Passenger" (never, ever, ever my pet hate "guest" (shudder/yuk) :mad: )

All best wishes brigittetom :)

Edited by pepperrn

Some lucky passengers have a wonderful experience with crew members and build a rapport and enjoy meeting a familiar face on future voyages.

I continue to be amazed when a crew member remembers former passengers when you consider the vast numbers they meet.

This can of course relate to negative experiences too.

Thank you BlueRiband

Some lucky passengers have a wonderful experience with crew members and build a rapport and enjoy meeting a familiar face on future voyages. I continue to be amazed when a crew member remembers former passengers when you consider the vast numbers they meet. ...
Quite agree welshgirl001,

Among many great examples of superb service I've been impressed with over the years on Cunard ships; I had a steward at the Terrace Bar on QM2 not only recognise me, he greeted me with "Welcome back Mr. ... " and asked "Can I get you your usual?" He had last served me with a drink in the Commodore Club thirteen months previously!

Edited by pepperrn