Severe Food Poisoning on Getaway

detroitlions

I will elaborate more on this later and put in a review. Cruise was good till Day 5 we went to Maderno my son 12 had the worse case of food poisoning I have seen. It was from the meat cause that is all he ate. The chicken that no one else ate in our group. He was vomiting all night till he was down to bile. We took him to the infirmary he had to stay in there to receive iv treatments then diarrhea for 3 more days. He is doing well now but that was scary as a parent and for him.

Oh geez. I had food poisoning on a trip once and it was awful. You feel like you just want to be shot to get it over with. So sorry this happened to him.

Did they actually trace it back to the chicken? I would think if that was it that others on the ship who ate the chicken that night at Moderno would have had food poisoning as well.

Oh geez. I had food poisoning on a trip once and it was awful. You feel like you just want to be shot to get it over with. So sorry this happened to him.

Did they actually trace it back to the chicken? I would think if that was it that others on the ship who ate the chicken that night at Moderno would have had food poisoning as well.

They said they could not tell but I know. he did not have a fever and I have had food poisoning before ..

Your poor son. I am sorry he got sick. Food poisoning is always bad.

Unless there is a HUGE outbreak they will not admit what food caused it, no restaurant will much less a ship. Unfortunately it can easily happen any place and any time.

I've had food poisoning with several vomiting sessions. I had non specific symptoms prior to the vomiting. Where had you been earlier in the day? If he was 12, he should have had a better appetite than to just want chicken, so he might have ingested something earlier. Were you in a port earlier?

Glad your son is doing better.

Food poisoning symptoms often don't show up for twelve or more hours after eating the affected product and sometimes even a day or so longer.

Also remember that children are often more susceptible than adults, and contamination levels can vary across a dish. It's very possible for your son and others to have eaten the same tainted food and only he got sick.

Right. It's very important to note that depending on the particular cause, incubation can be up to 3 days. The only reliable way to determine is testing if available (rarely) or finding common food choices among affected individuals in a large scale outbreak. Given it was Day 5 of the trip, its almost certain that the cause was encountered during the cruise, but Moderno isn't the guaranteed source.

All it takes is one unwashed lettuce leaf sometimes.

If only one person became sick. It would be more like self contamination rather than anything actually wrong with the chicken. This could be from lack of hand washing, etc.,. If the chicken was off, there would definitely be more sick people, especially on a ship. I am sure you must have been out of your mind with worry though!

This actually sounds like an occurrence of hepatitis A which means exposure could have been anywhere from 10 days to 50 days before.

Unless an antibody titer is done on him, you may never know if this is the cause. Has there been a "stomach virus" going around his elementary school?

This reminds me of a cruise through the Panama Canal many years ago. I had the exact same symptoms as your son; altho no one else in our group did. I don't think I've ever been that ill before or since. I visited the medical centre (and even that took every thing I had to get on an elevator and go downstairs). They gave me meds (via injection) to stop my symptoms and some further meds to take over the next couple of days.

I honestly thought I had food poisoning or the worst flu case in history.

Until we got home and read that our boat had been quarantined upon arrival in Seattle due to a Norwalk Virus outbreak (we had left the ship in San Francisco).

So you just never know what the cause might be....or have been.

Whatever it was...I truly sympathize with your son....

Edited by Samstress

Glad your son is doing better.

Food poisoning symptoms often don't show up for twelve or more hours after eating the affected product and sometimes even a day or so longer.

I have had food poisoning twice, and both times the symptoms appeared within hours of my eating the contaminated items.

I have had food poisoning twice, and both times the symptoms appeared within hours of my eating the contaminated items.

Yes, that can certainly happen. I trust you didn't mean that as a refutation of my post, did you?

Here's a run down of typical onset times after ingestion for different bugs, courtesy of the US Food & Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm

Given the length of time it USUALLY takes for symptoms to appear, I tend to scratch my head when people claim to know exactly what meal ingredient made them sick. That said, stomach bugs happen, and they suck, and they aren't always from food you ate.

Edited by perditax

Yes, that can certainly happen. I trust you didn't mean that as a refutation of my post, did you?

Here's a run down of typical onset times after ingestion for different bugs, courtesy of the US Food & Drug Administration: http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm

That's a great resource. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to print that out for future reference.

Poor kid! Glad they were able to treat him and keep him hydrated. That could have been really dangerous for him.

I have had bouts like that, especially as a child. I was the only one affected and as I look back I can point to my parent's ignorance regarding food safety. They did not seem to get sick but I sure did.

I hope this doesn't turn him off to either cruising or chicken.

Without testing the cause would be hard to name but there's no doubt he caught something, and it's likely from something he came in contact with on the cruise.

They need to cook the meat more in Moderno. I did not return, as scheduled, cuz everything was undercooked. Several people I spoke to said the same thing.....

Isn't moderno the steak on a stick place? How do you define undercooked for a big slab of red meat? Do you mean it was cold inside?

This is really helpful! Thank you for sharing.

They need to cook the meat more in Moderno. I did not return, as scheduled, cuz everything was undercooked. Several people I spoke to said the same thing.....

Interesting because we find most things at Moderno tend to be over cooked.

Your poor son. I am sorry he got sick. Food poisoning is always bad.

Unless there is a HUGE outbreak they will not admit what food caused it, no restaurant will much less a ship. Unfortunately it can easily happen any place and any time.

Are you serious? If the ship had more than or two reports of possible food poisoning becuse of the noro virus which has almost identical systems, the ship would make no attempt to hide it. You would see all alert go into effect immediately.

I feel sorry for the poor little boy, what a horrible way to spend even a day or two of vacation and maybe it was caused by the chicken, but your comment is so far off base it isn't funny!!!!!!

Let me add, I dont mean to be putting you down, I understand what you are saying, but with the NORO Virus being such an issue these days, no ship would take a chance trying to hide or deny it. They may not announce it, but you would see the restrictions go on immediately if there appeared to be any possible threat.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Isn't moderno the steak on a stick place? How do you define undercooked for a big slab of red meat? Do you mean it was cold inside?

Funny but clever way to discribe Modenos. Yes, you are right and if one asks for the meat more well done, they usually have end pieces. We just ate there last week on the Jewel. Because we love rare meat and the selection, we always eat there but for some it is just not their thing.

(I really was blanking on the actual term "Brazilian steakhouse". But yeah, I haven't been to moderno but have been to plenty of others, so I'm curious what that claim was about. If it was the chicken dishes, or if they couldn't provide more than rare to ANYONE, I could see it being a problem.)