Princess Cruises Introduces Gastropub on Crown Princess

LauraS

Check out the latest Princess Cruises news from Cruise Critic:

Princess Cruises Introduces Gastropub on Crown Princess

Where are we going to go for just a nice drink now? It leaves us with just the Piano bar. They have probably done this on the back of the popularity of the "pub lunches". $19 for small pub meals is expensive. It will be interesting to see how it does.

I think it sounds like fun, I will totally try it on my next Princess cruise if it's available. $19 isn't too steep in my opinion. It sounds like a much better menu than the standard pub lunch food which is always the same kinda boring stuff (yet we always do it on every cruise!). Way more creative and modern. I'm glad to see their doing new things and keeping up with the competition. There will still be plenty of room in the Wheelhouse bar for those who just want a drink. On many of the ships it's a pretty large lounge.

ccrain who's on the current Crown cruise did a rather informative review of the Pub dinner on the "Live From" thread of the Crown's 28 day rt to Tahiti, he posted his review yesterday during one of his "live from" posts..

According to Charles's review not a very good start

Srpilo

I, being Riff Raff, thank you for the information. I will consciously avoid the 'gastropub' and it's environs so as not to offend you...

As a proud member of the Riff Raff, I will be right there with you. Some people just don't think before they post insulting things, I guess. I saw the thing on the Crown a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed.

I don't think the price is bad at all. It Will keep out the Riff Raff....

There's no riff raff on Princess. :D

If you saw the pictures of the plates from the person that did the review, it doesn't look worth it. For me, I would rather spend 6 bucks more and dine at the crown grill but then it's a totally different experience.

Choices are a good thing I guess.

I don't think the price is bad at all. It Will keep out the Riff Raff....

Maybe you would be more comfortable on Cunard? There are Riffraff on there but they try to hide it with a show of snobbery.

What we call TenBob Snobs

And what happens to the entertainment in the Wheelhouse? We're dancers, and the Wheelhouse is usually the best ballroom venue on the ship.

Not much onboard spend from ballroom dancing so why would Princess care?

It has been posted that only the Crown, Emerald and Ruby have galley facilities in the Wheelhouse Bar and that will be the only three ships that will feature the Salty Dog.

The announcement indicates it will be on all ships except one by the end of summer 2016. It looks like it is in just a portion of the Wheel House so hopefully there will still be a band and dancing.

I've seen Phoenix Rising a few times in the Wheel Housr and would love to see them again.

The announcement indicates it will be on all ships except one by the end of summer 2016. It looks like it is in just a portion of the Wheel House so hopefully there will still be a band and dancing.

I've seen Phoenix Rising a few times in the Wheel Housr and would love to see them again.

I hope so too. And Phoenix Rising is one of the better dance bands - although I believe it was them who, when we said you could do Viennese Waltz in the Wheelhouse, played a 6 minute long one.

The press release on the Princess website discusses both the Salty Dog Gastropub and a new international whiskey menu. The portion of the press release regarding the roll put to all ships except the Pacific appears to be only referring to the whiskey menu rollout, not the Salty Dog.

The press release on the Princess website discusses both the Salty Dog Gastropub and a new international whiskey menu. The portion of the press release regarding the roll put to all ships except the Pacific appears to be only referring to the whiskey menu rollout, not the Salty Dog.

I'm so sorry. My mistake. I read it wrong. Thank you for the correction.

I'm so sorry. My mistake. I read it wrong. Thank you for the correction.
No need for an apology. I had to read the press release a couple of times. For the Salty Dog I believe that you need to have a Wheelhouse Bar with a galley which I believe is only the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. Those are three ships that offer the Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar. Other ships we have been on have used the Crown Grill (Golden, Grand and Star), the Savoy DR (Sapphire) or the Bayou Cafe and Steakhouse (Coral and Island) for the Pub Lunch. Don't know about the Dawn, Sea and Sun.