carnival ecstacy ridding out rita

cruise6

Who took those pictures, and what were they on?
They were taken by a crew member on Sensation. Both of these ships were chartered to FEMA, and put out to the safety of the open sea from their temporary homes in New Orleans.

Personally, I'd have loved to have done this. This is real sailing weather - none of this namby-pamby millpond stuff. :D

Our very first cruise was during a category 4 hurricane. The reason I never cruised prior to this was I had suffered from motion sickness my whole life. My family convinced me I'd be fine so I gave in and it was quite a ride! Bonine and I became best friends during that trip...

Oh my! Thanks for posting.

We sailed once during a hurricane (need to look up what category now that I know more about hurricanes) and it was awful the first night. We then were able to sail out of it.

----

I just looked it up and it was Hurricane Lenny and a Cat 4.. Thankfully we sailed out of it. I went out that first night and it felt like a hail storm in the middle of winter....

Like MaryPoppinz above, I have been at sea during a typhoon - and it can get pretty rough.

We had green water over the bridge, screws out of the water, and the inclinometer was pegged several times, aboard the little Golden Odyssey, a 10,000GRT liner, in the China Sea. It was rough!! (And I have to admit - a bit scary.)

Namby Pamby Number ** signing in here! :D After being thrown out of bed on our first night, of our first cruise, I'd just as soon sail the millpond on a sunny day, thank you.

Those pictures are pretty awesome, though, thanks for posting them.

I think it looks very scary!!

My dad who has been round the world 3 times on a boat when in the Navy says thats proper sailing :eek:

Note to self - do not book anything during hurricane season!!

Come cruise with us ? I think not ! Those pics scared the c-...:eek: :eek: well, you know out of me until I realized that the ships were staged out to sea to ride out the storm. I will be piloting that namby pamby ship, thank you very much. Two weeks left until we hit the high seas....I'm gonna start praying to the hurricane Gods right now !!!! Happy (and SMOOTH) sailing y'all

My first cruise was during Hurricane Marilyn, Cat 3. I thought it felt like the ship might have been making similar moves, but not quite that deep! Since we were hitting the waves head on, not much seasickness and really fun to go to sleep with the rocking. We were on the RCCL Sovereign in a suite & St. Thomas was bypassed for St. Croix.

On the other hand, though... went on a small 25k ton ship w/Commodore cruise lines during 'normal' conditions.. 9 foot swells at an up/down/criss cross angle... and EVERYONE was sick, crew included. No hurricane in sight.

Don't know that I would want to experience a Cat 4... but...3 was fun.

Great pics! Sharing with the family...:D

Archived