Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

What's ironic is I'm probably the heaviest person on cruise critic yes I'm pretty sure I ate less than most people, the simple reason food absorbs alcohol and for me Cruise are more about drinking then eating. I mean yeah its cool to have what you want when you want food wise but the more you eat the harder it is to stay drunk lol.

Do you ever read your posts before you hit reply?

Did they flip any omelets or do any fun tricks?

Yep a lot of flipping going on. They were also the quickest at filling orders I've seen.

Free prime rib at O'Sheehan's 3 nights, along with a seafood night & a ribs night. The new menus appeal to me. The beef wellington was the best thing I've ever had on a cruise and the chocolate lava cake is a magnitude better than CCL's.

I will never forget our first cruise on the Getaway. Wife and I for the most part eat healthy, however, when on vacation may go up for more of something that we liked or to try something else. By no means do we pile food on our plate, rather portion control. I made the mistake of 'reusing' my plate, which just had salad on it, (didn't feel the need to have the wait staff take away a barely used plate). While standing in line, two women approached me after loading their plates and said I shouldn't reuse my plate due to the food poisoning issue it presented? I asked how reusing a salad plate would cause food poisoning, they looked at me like I had two heads and continued stating that I could give people food poisoning. I had enough and told them that they should be more worried about the obesity issue and diabetes issue as the shovel all that food down their gullet.

What it comes down to is that people believe that because they paid for something, they feel entitled to eat or drink as much as they want to justify that they got their money's worth out of it.

I have never understood the gluttony mentality that some people have. At the end of the day, just enjoy the vacation.

I doubt it! I saw your review videos. You're not a very big guy. :confused:

That was one of the nicest things anyone's ever said thank you. I can understand now people being upset about certain food items missing, I don't understand those that are upset about the things that are now A charge because at least the items in question are still there but the things are no longer on the menu I can understand anger 4. I hope to book my next cruise on the getaway and then I want to do one on the sky again.

Just as a technical explanation. In the rare case a product is carrying ecoli or another foodborne illness, reusing a plate (yes, including salad because of dressings and lettuce being easy carriers) can pose a risk because the serving utensils can contact the plate where the virus has had a chance possibly to settle for a bit.

The risk is minimal, but it is there (that said, compared to other risks at the buffet? Don't worry about it).

I will never forget our first cruise on the Getaway. Wife and I for the most part eat healthy, however, when on vacation may go up for more of something that we liked or to try something else. By no means do we pile food on our plate, rather portion control. I made the mistake of 'reusing' my plate, which just had salad on it, (didn't feel the need to have the wait staff take away a barely used plate). While standing in line, two women approached me after loading their plates and said I shouldn't reuse my plate due to the food poisoning issue it presented? I asked how reusing a salad plate would cause food poisoning, they looked at me like I had two heads and continued stating that I could give people food poisoning. I had enough and told them that they should be more worried about the obesity issue and diabetes issue as the shovel all that food down their gullet.

What it comes down to is that people believe that because they paid for something, they feel entitled to eat or drink as much as they want to justify that they got their money's worth out of it.

I have never understood the gluttony mentality that some people have. At the end of the day, just enjoy the vacation.

That was one of the nicest things anyone's ever said thank you. I can understand now people being upset about certain food items missing, I don't understand those that are upset about the things that are now A charge because at least the items in question are still there but the things are no longer on the menu I can understand anger 4. I hope to book my next cruise on the getaway and then I want to do one on the sky again.

I think it's pretty easy to understand myself. You book a cruise. The dining room food is included. Suddenly half the menu becomes for an upcharge of items that were normally available for no extra cost. You don't understand how people would get upset? Maybe they aren't items you want. Maybe you are glad they offer them versus not being on the menu at all. Okay, I get that.

Would you happily pay for soup or ice cream in the MDR?

I think it's pretty easy to understand myself. You book a cruise. The dining room food is included. Suddenly half the menu becomes for an upcharge of items that were normally available for no extra cost. You don't understand how people would get upset? Maybe they aren't items you want. Maybe you are glad they offer them versus not being on the menu at all. Okay, I get that.

Prime Rib was offered 3 nights on our Escape cruise at O'Sheehan's for free & the a la carte version was not on the dining room menu those days.

I had the chef's special most nights & I have to say it was great. The food in the MDR was so good, we never got back to Food Republic.

No,but at the same time i don't eat soup or ice cream when they're offered for free lol.

Replace soup and ice cream with hamburgers and french fries.

Now answer the question :)

Harriet

Harriet you are smart, you're at least mentioning things that I actually eat lol. Would I pay for burgers and fries in the main dining room? Probably not because they were good but not that good, but I happily paid for the burgers and fries in the steak house when they had them.

Every passengers who has had something taken off the MDR menu, with the new changes, could say the same. I like the spaghetti bolognese and now it is off the menu and only available on the room service menu, so everyone who likes it and still wants it would have to pay the $7.95 service fee if they want it. They could have just taken the prime rib off altogether and maybe that is what they should have done, instead of upgrading the size of the portion and adding it as an upcharge item.

Spaghetti Bolognese was on the "every day" classic menu in the Summer Palace on Pearl that we completed yesterday. I had it both as an entree and as an appetizer in a smaller portion.

We ate nearly every meal in the Summer Palace, except for one dinner in O'Sheehans (spare ribs), one in the Lotus Garden (complimentary) and one in Moderno we shared with friends, using our Platinum vouchers. We had every breakfast there, and every lunch when we were not on tour. The food was fabulous, the choices were abundant, and the service as good or better than we get on Oceania. Great Cruise.

I'm not sure about the food poisoning, however it is common courtesy to never reuse a plate at a buffet. If not just for the simple reason that your germs are on it and you can transfer it the the rest of the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spaghetti Bolognese was on the "every day" classic menu in the Summer Palace on Pearl that we completed yesterday. I had it both as an entree and as an appetizer in a smaller portion.

We ate nearly every meal in the Summer Palace, except for one dinner in O'Sheehans (spare ribs), one in the Lotus Garden (complimentary) and one in Moderno we shared with friends, using our Platinum vouchers. We had every breakfast there, and every lunch when we were not on tour. The food was fabulous, the choices were abundant, and the service as good or better than we get on Oceania. Great Cruise.

Thanks for the update.
Edited by NLH Arizona